Customer reviews

Colour: Silver|Change

on 27 May 2014
This has been an excellent purchase. I use it mostly for trips to the Scottish mountains, where it is useful for scoping out faint paths or checking a stream for potential crossing points. It's also come in handy for impromptu wildlife viewing; the small size means it fits into a pocket and is quick to access when deer come wandering over a rise. It's light and compact, so isn't a burden to carry, meaning you're more likely to have it when you need it. I usually carry mine in the hip-belt pocket of my rucksack, so there's no need to stop, take off my rucksack and go rummaging through when I want to use it. It's coped admirably with mistreatment from a very clumsy owner- the lanyard and lightly padded case help with that.

The Minox Macroscope has found a place in my 'always with me' kit for the outdoors. It gets used on every trip.
on 23 May 2017
very handy
on 9 November 2009
Earlier this year on a trip with my six year old son, we found that his binoculars had been broken in transit. A pair of small binoculars seemed the obvious choice to replace them, and we examined several pairs, but he was taken by the Minox 8x25 Macroscope. Small and compact, it fit perfectly into his hand and clipped onto his belt when not in use. Furthermore, the optics looked superior to the binoculars we had tried, so we decided on it.

I was glad we did! He took his new Macroscope everywhere, using it to watch lizards, butterflies and dragonflies as well as seals and birds. This was a family holiday, and after a while I found that I was leaving behind my Leicas in the knowledge that I could always pinch the Minox if we ran into something unusual, so I ended up using it to check through gull flocks, confirm the identity of buzzards, examine butterflies and even do a bit of private seawatching while everyone else was in the Minack Theatre. Together, we enjoyed excellent views of a Peregrine harassing Rock Doves as we scrambled down a rock face where binoculars would have been out of the question. My conclusion is that the Minox Macroscope is both a good primary optic for kids as well as a handy tool to take on a walk when binoculars are just that little bit too bulky. I was very impressed by the optical quality, which was far superior to the similar sized, similar priced 8 x 25 binoculars we had tried. I wear spectacles and had no problem with the eye relief on the Macroscope - something that can be a problem with the smaller binoculars. The focussing wheel is well designed too - it takes just a short turn to focus, something that lends itself to use by children. I lead bird tours and on the basis of the optics of the Macroscope, I would be keen to try some Minox binoculars for myself.

Highly recommended for wildlife watching and casual birding!

Chris Sharpe, 9 November 2009
on 29 August 2014
A superb little monocular, with close focus macro facility built in. For anyone requiring a lightweight but sturdy viewing instrument, this is ideal. Not recommended for anyone into serious "birding" but that is not what it is designed for. I purchased it because I only have sight in one eye, so binoculars are a heavy, unnecessary weight for occasional spotting use. A great piece of kit, which I will carry with me on country walks and outings.
on 26 December 2013
Purchased as a last minute surprise present, my wife was delighted with the macroscope.

As detailed elsewhere this item focuses down to 30cms (12") and the image is nice and bright.

It's also sharp at full range of 114m.

The focus is made by turning the knurled front element mount through just 270degrees.

One thing this did reveal; we can bring our neighbours front door 400' distant optically 8x closer...

Covert surveillance operations would be feasible quite cheaply...if that floats your boat.

Not sure how ideal this macroscope would be for 'birders' but for watching butterflies and beetles etc the results would be much better.

It would also allow the reading of small print at a normal reading distance probably better than a magnifying glass.

£114 seems quite expensive BUT in terms of surprise and delight as well as results delivered it was money well spent...
on 14 May 2014
I bought this binocular so as to have a pocket-sized device for bird and butterfly watching. It is light, optically clear, easy to use, and particularly handy for enlarging that small flower that you cannot quite see clearly because age brings hypermetropia... you get the idea. One star removed because depth of field is shallow necessitating constant refocusing, and the focus ring is really sensitive. I'll get used to that in time. Otherwise this is a good gadget for the price, and it does the job.
on 7 April 2013
I now have a very light and compact companion while i am walking . The image through this wonderful
product is crystal clear.
on 7 April 2016
Used Minox products for many years and loved them until now. Labelled Minox Gmbh with VerkNr on box -- open it to find a nasty plasticky thing made in China. Focus ring difficult to operate, poor field of vision, depth of vision very shallow. Case too small so drawstring won't close and its opening directs rain and dust straight onto the lens! Very disappointed that Minox markets a product like this, unlikely to buy their range again. Would be dear at half the price ... for the first time ever, I have returned a product to Amazon.
on 6 October 2015
I used this monocular for years, until it was literally falling apart, but still doing its job.
One of the few offering short focus and very high quality.
on 9 June 2014
Very small and compact, excellent viewing and on the macro it really pops the insect. The case protects the scope well and all in, very good value.

See one answered question