Price:£1.88+ £2.49 shipping

on 14 October 2011
Bought this little tin of dust to start fires as I had a huge problem last time trying to start a fire in the rain and damp that are so inevitable on these British isles. It worked quickly every time. I have a "Storm Lighter" so dont waste time using flint and steel! (Though I do take one to show the kids how it works). The magic dust, as the kids call it, takes up little or no room, and the container was completely waterproof. And I have loads left after a four day hike/camp. Getting the fire started asap when we stoped meant that we had our water boiled and tea ready in no time at all so that we were warmed up enough to continue cooking the evening meal. Yes cotton wool or sheep's wool from the hedges and fences as we walked work too but I am happy with this. Certainly good value for money.
on 9 September 2015
Bit of a difficult one to rate, this one, as I see it...

Tinder (to me) is the very first fire starter. The bit that would catch a spark and get the fire started from first base... This doesn't catch and hold a spark at all...

As stage one kindling though, excellent. So start your fire (if using sparks...) with something very dry and fibrous and then use this to build from.

As tinder (by my definition if using sparks rather than a match or lighter), rubbish, one star only.

As stage one kindling, excellent, five stars.

Would also prefer to have paid a bit more for a nice tin, rather than cheap plastic box.

Sorry to sit on the fence, but that makes three stars by my count...
on 29 December 2009
I'm afraid to say that this stuff does not work. Save your money and don't buy these wood shavings, there is nothing special about them. Many others agree - just do a google search for 'maya dust'. If you want something better try cotton balls mixed with vaseline. But remember, a true bushman would use what he finds out in the wilderness.

I have to say that the plastic container that this 'maya dust' came in has served me as a fantastic tinder box, but use something else for your tinder.
on 24 October 2012
I have found that Maya Dust by itself is impossible to use. When you first get it, don't invite your mates to gather round to witness your skill at fire-starting because you'll just look a numpty.

But, mix a good pinch of Maya Dust with a decent tuft of teased-out dryer lint and you will have a furious blaze going in seconds. The lint takes the spark and lights up, then the Maya Dust gets going with enough intensity to light your kindling. I keep a wad of dryer lint in a baggie in the same tin.

Four stars because it really helps, but it's not sufficient by itself and it should say so on the tin.
on 4 January 2015
I bought this as a gift for my nephew to go with a fire flint set he had asked for. It seems expensive for what it is - a very small tin filled with 'wood shavings', apparently, which I didn't open before giving to him - but it's what he wanted and a little goes a long way according to the instructions. I read the reviews before buying and it seems to be a good thing to have in the wilderness, could get you out of trouble in an emergency.
on 5 January 2010
I have to agrea with the review given by M.R. Ormison. Didnt work for me, however I did find that the cotton wool balls my wife uses for removing makeup works first time every time and cost a lot less
on 28 May 2016
Bought these as part as a gift for my partners Christmas present thinking they were some sort of specialist ingredients. Turns out they are small wood shavings with a light coating of something. My other half is a tree surgeon. I could fill several of the little pots which the tinder dust is supplied in from his pockets alone most days. Quick delivery, well packaged
on 17 June 2016
I was not very impressed TBH. The picture is very deceiving. The 'tub' is tiny and not metal at all. It is a cheap plastic. The stuff takes ages to light and doesn't even pass on a flame to other material. I think that this is really overpriced and I would not buy from the seller again unfortunately. Do your research before going to buy this, I wish I had.
on 16 December 2013
Great little tub, small water tight. However the tinder dust can be hard to get going with just a Ferrocerium Rod and Metal Striker, but once going burns strongly and will get your fire going.
on 11 October 2013
My daughter has really got into fire lighting since our bush craft weekend.
This is perfect tinder as it catches really quickly.
Don't forget to buy 'Light My Fire' Flint and steel.