Customer reviews

Rapesco 64 Desktop Pencil Sharpener for all 6 mm Pencils - Black
Style: 64 Desktop Sharpener|Change

on 5 October 2017
Bought this after owning a dearer one which was sent back. This seems to be an excellent sharpener and have no complaints regarding that at all. The only thing I find harder than the previous one I owned is it was easy to get the handle off of a puece of coloured pencil got stuck. This one I am unsure what to do so I just got a very thin bladed sharp knife and got it out that way whilst slowly turning the handle. Would recommend this item, I think you will not be disappointed. I am having problems trying to sort this out when a small piece of pencil lead gets stuck. The other one had was easy, you just twisted the handle and it came out, I have no idea what to do with this one. When I pull out the metal,part that the pencil goes into I have a really hard time getting it sit back. I am unsure I do it but eventually with some brute force it gets there. Trouble is having arthritis in hands it is not doing them much good.
on 13 December 2016
Very good for getting long sharp pencil points. Recommended to me by an art tutor and professional artist as apparently these type of desktop sharpeners last longer than the usual small blade ones. It says it's for 6mm pencils but my 8mm pastel pencils seem to go in just fine as well. If the point breaks off inside (as sometimes happens) you will need to unscrew the ridged bit (anti-clockwise) where the turning handle goes in, and poke the broken point out from the thin end with a bent paper clip. Beware that the ridged bit is VERY stiff so I recommend getting a pair of those scissor-type jam jar lid openers to loosen it as well!
on 1 June 2015
I found this sharpener suitable for my uses. I keep it in my garage to keep pencils sharp for marking up wood. It has one sharpening barrel not two like more expensive models. The plastic case is of medium sturdiness, and the plastic holdfast bracket is not much use. I have it attached to a shelf and need to hold the top to keep it still while sharpening. Most significant is the quality of the sharpened point, it is very good, long and tapered to a fine point. The crank stops resisting/cutting when the pencil is sharpened and the pencil can be removed. Upward of 20 pencils it still works well. If you can live with the shortcomings listed here, for the price and with careful usage you should be fine. Treat the item with respect and your pencils will write wonders.
on 20 January 2016
So far so good, it sharpens to a long point, also coloured pencils and pastel pencils, but it is the third one I have bought as the sharpening bit does not seem to last long. I am hoping this one will last longer. I need my pencils to be sharp for my art, which is why I keep buying them. I have not found another one that sharpens so well.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 October 2017
This item was intended to be used infrequently. However, it has been used once and no longer works. The piece that comes out to hold the pencil in place is not strong. Unfortunately it was bought in early August and is now outside the return period. When they work they are fine, but they are not durable
on 29 August 2012
I bought this product to help my children to sharpen their pencils. The sharpener appears to do the job well, its not as sturdy or heavy as the ones I remember as a child or when working in my first office but it is far better than the small sharperners that continually break the lead.
The down side to this is the feeble clamp that is supposed to keep this product firmly attached to a desktop. My 4 year old can knock it over within 30 secs and it really lets the prodct down. I will have to find a way of clamping this myself because after 1/2 a days use it is apparent it will not work.
on 17 August 2017
A machine which loves to grind up pencils. It does sharpen them but you have to be careful it doesn't eat the pencils. A bit cheap and cheerful.
on 5 June 2013
For a top of the range, so called £50 sharpener, I would have expected a metal construction, this however is plastic, very little outside of the sharpening cutter is actually metal. This has some plus points, in that the 3 point grip for the pencil doesn't damage the wood as with some other metal toothed grips. With the downsides, I can't see it surviving being knocked off a desk so the provided clamp will have to be used I think.

Operation is very easy as is the removal of the cutting head to clear blockages. With a 10 year guarantee hopefully it will last the distance.
on 11 February 2013
When I open the box I was amazed to feel just how solid the build of the sharpener was, as i was expecting a plastic body on the unit. It sharpens the pencils beautifully.

One annoying niggle that denied the full 5 stars is the box to collect the shavings is too loose and comes out too easily. This could be a problem when my 2 year old goes exploring and empties it all over the floor.

Apart from this highly recommended.
on 27 November 2015
Great so far. Plastic body but feels sturdy. It sharpens to quite a long point but always nicely centered and attached to my desk okay. Leaves teeth markes on the pencil barrel from the guide gripping it, which is common with desk sharpeners.