on 24 February 2014
I felt a bit confused during this DVD. Nothing really seems to happen!

I’ve only tried the bums/tums (second) part/workout of the DVD, and I’m not in a huge rush to try out the upper body or legs parts until the next time I get bored of my other workout DVD’s.

I only paid £2 for this DVD and that’s the only reason I’m giving it 3 stars rather than 2. The warm up takes ages (including what seems like an unnecessary amount of head rolls/shoulder lifts – I know it’s important to warm up the neck but it was excessive). The ‘high intensity’ dance routine bit I quite enjoyed but Jennifer keeps saying ‘Phew! I’m worn out now!’ etc.. and I was just feeling nicely warmed up. It made me wonder if I was doing it right! I had a slight glisten on, but wasn’t out of breath or thirsty. There was only one opportunity to put the moves together and do the full routine.

The music isn’t good. Nothing you would recognise from particular shows, etc. It’s filmed like they are back stage… it’s all a bit half-arsed and random.

The cool down, like the warm up, goes on too long. Especially considering how low-impact the workout is.

Don’t pay more than 2 or 3 quid for this DVD. Not worth it. Also, I love the Liverpool accent – I lived there for ten years until recently. But her voice is very whiny and squeaky… it starts to great very quickly. Sorry Jen!
on 5 June 2012
I use a lot of fitness Dvds as I find them helpful in keeping fit and fitting in a workout whenever you have a bit of time. I also love to dance so I thought I give the "Westend workout" a go. So far I am not sure it was worth it! First the good points: The instructions are easy to follow and very clear, the setting (backstage of a stage) looks nice and Jennifer and the others do a good job.
If you expected to sweat, you will be disappointed: The workouts mainly consists of a relatively long workout of seven minutes, followed by a dance routine that you go through step by step. The routine is very nice and looks good, but I was far from "working out"- I simply repeated the steps over and over again and that's it. This part is then followed by some exercises which will probably make you sweat a bit, but which I have seen everywhere already (Sit ups anyone?). Moreover, Jennifer stops every time before a new exercise to explain it to you- she should have let you move on while explaining it to make the workout more efficient.
This Dvd should be advertised as "westend dancing for beginners" or something in that direction, but I am not sure how I am going to loose pounds with it. If you like Step dance/Jazz dance or want to know some dance routines, it might be helpful. Otherwise I recommend "Gilad" and his fitness Dvds, they are short, to the point and helped me to get off those pounds in the first place!
on 15 October 2014
I don't often write reviews, but felt I had to with this one… as someone with a background as an aerobics instructor, I was surprised to find the routine hard to follow (I've only done the upper body one so far)- the choreographer doesn't explain things very well! Also, and definitely more importantly, you need a LOT of room! If I'd known how much space I'd need, there's no way I'd buy it, as my living room just wasn't big enough! I'd second what others have said though- I'm recovering from serious illness and still didn't find it too tough as a cardio workout
on 6 January 2012
I have done the workout however didn't really find it challenging, I used to dance a few years back and found this quite easy I am trying to get in shape and thought this dvd would be enjoyable and a good workout. I have to be honest here and say it was ok decent speed and fun routines however i didn't feel like i was burning any thing and didn't get into a sweat. You are taught a routine and then they move on. The music is very quiet and it is mainly the instructor counting and teaching the routine. The first routine is taught then done in full twice its clear what the routine is but you never do it to the track. After two or three routines I turned the dvd off. I was quite disappointed.
on 28 August 2017
I love Jennifer ellison and I also love home workout Dvd.
I had scratched mine and it's stopped working finally I found it on Amazon and I love it!
thank you Amazon you're amazing.
on 19 June 2008
This is the first fitness DVD I've done in quite a while and I was impressed with it.

The routines have just the right amount of difficulty in following them. For me, it took approximately two or three sessions to be able to follow them through. They're low intensity enough to allow me to do them each day which might turn some people off because they're slightly gentler than other dance exercise DVDs. They're not cardio as such but it doesn't make them less effective. Following them over a period of time and incorporating a good diet will definitely tone you up. I don't want a workout that makes me feel like collapsing half way through. I want something a little more sedate that I look forward to doing every day.

As for the presentation and music, I found Jennifer to be a good presenter. She's simply there to guide you through the exercises unlike a lot of other DVDs in which the presenter feels the need to 'motivate' you which can get very irritating. She doesn't feel the need to draw attention to herself which means that you can just concentrate on the exercises themselves. The music was non-intrusive and fit with the tone of the exercises themselves.

Don't buy this if you're expecting a high energy dance routine to showtunes. But for a beginner who wants an effective workout they can do every day, I would recommend this.
on 28 April 2017
Good exercise and music delivered on time
on 17 September 2015
There is too much time devoted to warming up thereby reducing the time for the main programmes and no way of shortening it when moving from one set to another
on 20 January 2007
This work out dvd says it is made up of 3 30 min workouts but each of these includes the same warm up and cool down. What you actually get is a warm up- Classic dancers warm up working down the body - about 7 mins

Then for each of the three sections, Upper Body, Bums&Tums and Lower Body you get approx 8 mins learning routine and approx 8 mins toning exercises.

It finishes with a 7 min cooldown

The routines are ok but it is quite repetitive going back over the moves so it becomes boring once you know the routine. It would be nice to have the option to repeat each routine in full one after the other as this would then feel like a workout. There are some fun moves with lots of hips and flicking of wrists but if you have dancing experience you will probably find this too easy.

The toning sections are short but sweet. I did enjoy these and will use them again. There are some good strengthening and toning moves.

You also get another bonus 7 min dance routine in the extras.

This dvd is ok but the dances don't really make you break a sweat. I will be using this dvd on days when I want an easier workout. Also the dvd would be better if you had the option of creating your own routine. If you want to do more the half hour routines they set up you have to keep going back to the chapters screen.
on 11 May 2017