on 8 February 2010
Iloved the look of this machine as soon as I opened the parcel.Doesn't take up too much room,easy too keep clean and easy to use.With the timer it means you can have coffee whenever you want it without any fuss and bother.Would recommend it any time.
on 9 February 2010
Having experienced a coffee maker of a similar price range and well known make, which failed after a month, I decided on this machine as a replacement.

From first visual it is a pleasant and sleek looking machine, attractive to the eye and would blend in to most kitchen layouts. The digital clock and timer is a great asset and allows me to set it up to make coffee for my getting up each morning, or for my return from a day out.

The device on the lid to adjust the strength of the coffee is very handy and well thought out. It also works efficiently. The machine is easy to clean and most importantly, makes an extremely good cup of coffee.

I am highly pleased with this product and would recommend it to everyone.
0Comment| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 March 2010
This coffee maker is smart looking & produces a good quality jug of coffee,but the nylon filtr sieve is of very poor quality in thatit frays & becmes detached from the sieve frame very quickly ie within the first 3 weeks of use.This is the second one to have failed in this manner since December 09.
on 23 June 2010
Russell Hobbs name is synonymous with quality and this product is no exception. It's small and compact so takes up very little room on the counter and yet delivers in every way. Makes great coffee, large filler openings so it's nice not to spill water all over when filling. The timer feature is handy in the mornings especially and I am completely thrilled and satisfied with the purchase. Size 4 filter fit perfectly if you fold over the sealed seam for great coffee.
on 12 October 2010
After a month or two of work in an office, so being fired up twice a day each day, the thing is being resigned to the bin. It started off good, the timer and such all worked ok, it doesn't look bad and I always believe the coffee depends on what you put in so I'm not going to mark it down for that... it's just the plastic!

It's mostly a cheap-feeling plastic that gets very warm to the touch - and I think that this is what has let it down. After a month the contact point between the machine and the jug to release the coffee has moved so it no longer trickles into the jug, but over-flows and floods the kitchen with hot brown coffee-grind-filled water. We've been trying to coax the machine into doing it's job for three weeks now, but today it's ended up in the bin and I'm back on Amazon looking for another.

If you're not using it every day, it might be ok, I'll never know. However if you're making it every day - I recommend avoiding this and going for something much more solid - ideally not plastic.
on 1 August 2011
Trying to find a basic reliable filter coffee maker isn't so easy these days - my last one lasted only a year before the jug broke!

The Russell Hobbs is OK. It does everything it's supposed to do - but why bother with the automatic arrangement? It makes no sense if you're trying to make good coffee to leave the freshly ground beans for hours in the machine while all the flavour evaporates. So, leave it out, cut the selling price, and market it as 'The Best Basic Simple Machine'.

It's well-made, robust, and makes very satisfactory coffee.

My only real complaint is that the plastic holder for the filter can slip out of position when one inserts the jug, which results in the coffee spilling out of the back of the machine and all over the kitchen.
on 18 January 2010
Despite a couple of reviews that slated this machine I was still seduced by its appearance and went ahead with the purchase. I'm glad I did as so far I've not encountered any of the problems previously mentioned, having tested both the 'make coffee now' function and the timed function and agree with the 'Great choice' reviewer that if you follow the instructions it works perfectly - at least my model does.

Yes you have to reset the timer if you unplug it but it only takes a few seconds to do this. My only slight complaint is, as mentioned by another reviewer, the coffee doesn't come out piping hot as I like it and so you have to leave it to heat up on the hot plate for a couple of minutes. Otherwise its great, does the job and I still think it looks gorgeous!
on 28 October 2011
I needed a new coffee maker in a hurry so rather than dash to the shops, I had a quick look at Amazon and was amazed to find the very item I needed at a very reasonable price, just over £16 and free delivery.
The Coffee Maker arrived within a week and has been up and running ever since. I especially like the fact that it doesn't need paper filters and so far the built-in coffee holder has not stained - as long as I wash it out immediately after use. If and when it does stain, I suppose that like a aged teapot, the staining will add to the character and taste of the brew.
The glass pot is a nice, big size and the machine is simplicity itself to operate. I have no complaints whatsoever.
For a 'cheap' item, it's just perfect - I suspect that it is so cheap because it's a little out-moded. But however out of date, it's still a Russell Hobbs and therefore a top brand.
The only minor niggle I have is that it turns itself off after about an hour or so, I haven't mananged to find out exactly when it thinks itself unsafe and switches off, but I've usually had as much coffee as I want by then so it's not a problem. I suppose it's a safety feature, so mustn't grumble.
I'm very satisfied with my purchase - it's efficient, cheap and makes delicious coffee.
on 19 March 2011
This fantastic machine does exactly what it is meant to. To the people having troubles with alignment, it's just a machine....don't expect miracles! But, makes a brill coffee before I get out of bed and leaves my room smelling like Starbucks!

I'm at University and have it in my room! It's fantastic!

If you want a reliable/affordable coffee machine...I would definitely say this is the machine for you!
on 30 November 2011
I bought this to use at work. There are four of us in a small office and we like a nice cup of coffee in the afternoon.

We have now had this for about two weeks and I am getting into a routine of making us a coffee at about 2pm. We look forward to this and thoroughly enjoy our daily "treat".

Set up is easy and just run a couple of jugs of water through firstly and you are ready to go. We use mugs, so I allow "2 cups" worth of water and one heaped scoop of coffee per person. This, along with the strength adjuster set to maximum, gives us coffee that we are all happy with.

We have not used the timer facility as I look on it as an excuse to get up from my desk. There have been no problems with leaks or water dripping where it shouldn't be.

The permanent filter is a great bonus for us.

I would not hesitate to recomend this for use at home or in a small workplace. I am not sure how robust it would be if being constantly filled and used throughout the day, but for our one coffee each per day it is ideal.