Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

• Janus

Format: Audio CD|Change

Although I have seen Peter King live on many occasions I have little of his music in my collection, so I set about amending this situation a couple of years back. A friend recommended this to me, although I was initially suspicious of music with this declared classical- jazz crossover. There was no need, this album is special.

The first two tracks, recorded live (1997) in concert, as is the whole album, are "conventional". That is the first being the quartet (PK, Gordon Beck (p), Jeremy Brown (b), Stephen Keogh (d)), the second a superb piano trio number. Then we have the Janus suite (five movements) which features the jazz quartet and a string quartet. Finally there is a track featuring the eight musicians that is dedicated to the passing of Ronnie Scott.

The whole album contains music that is of the highest order, whether measured in jazz terms, classical terms , musical terms, emotional terms etc. the whole album is played with skill and passion.

Apparently (I am no musician) the Janus suite, written entirely by Peter King, is heavily inspired by Bartok's music.

There are descriptions of the music elsewhere on this site so I shall attempt no more. The playing by everyone is superb but both Peter King and Gordon Beck deserve special mention. Peter for the passion and Gordon for the ingenuity.

A world status recording that should be much better known.
on 28 January 2013
I was unsure at first , despite the outstanding pedigree of all the musicians , how the melding of a string quartet with two outstanding jazz soloists would work .
I works alright ! This is an exceptional CD , covering all gamuts of musical styles , and always sounding "right" .
I wish I could give it more than five stars , as this is one of those extremely rare "perfect" works , that just couldn't be improved upon .
And as another reviewer states , it is also another indication of how great a pianist Gordon Beck is .
For anyone who likes quality music , irrespective of genre , this is a must have .
on 6 October 2009
Attention Gordon Beck fans - YOU NEED THIS ALBUM!!

If you love Jazz and especially Gordon Beck than you owe it to yourself to buy this CD or MP3 Download.

The interplay between the Lyric String Quartet meshed with a Jazz Quartet of piano, bass, drums and saxophone must be heard to be believed!! It works!!

Track 2, "Le Sunset", is an Gordon Beck original composition and features Gordon and Jeremy Brown on bass and Stephen Keogh on drums.

Buy this, NOW!!!!!!
on 11 September 2013
I did not buy this for a long time fearing it would be prentious tosh and make me question my belief that Mr King is a jazz god, but I relented, invested, and realize that it confirms his place in he pantheon of greats. The melding of jass group and string quartet is done with the skill of a master . This is just up there with the way that To Macero could build Miles tracks, this is awesome stuff.
on 28 December 2015