Customer reviews

There are three different concerts from the 1976 Germany tour available on CD:

September 25, 1976: Cologne
September 27, 1976: Dusseldorf
September 28, 1976: Nuremberg

All of these have something to offer for the dedicated fan.

With regards to sound quality, I would rate the Dusseldorf show overall the highest (the mix is quite clear), followed closely by Nuremberg (the mix is a little less clear, but overall the sound is warm and powerful). The recording from Cologne has a lower sound quality in my opinion. It is nice to see that during the remastering, the original dynamics were left intact on these releases (i.e. no dynamic compression was applied during mastering, at least not that I can tell).

By the way, the sound quality of these releases is much better than the previous 2-Set "Live in Germany 1976" which compiled songs from various shows in Germany.

With regards to song line-up, the Dusseldorf show does not feature any encore, so it ends with "Still I'm Sad". The other two shows feature "Do You Close Your Eyes" as an encore. During this song, Ritchie Blackmore often smashed his guitar, which is also the case on the Cologne show. That might be (or not) exciting on video or when you are at the concert, but for an audio CD, this is pretty pointless in my opinion. The encore "Do You Close Your Eyes" on the Nuremberg show is without the smashing of the guitar, just the song in a slightly extended version (around 6 minutes or so). I find this version (on Nuremberg) much better than the one on the Cologne show.

If you only want to get one of these shows, I recommend to get the Nuremberg one because it has the encore (w/o smashing of the guitar) and nice sound quality. If a clear mix is your top priority, I recommend the Dusseldorf show. Only get the Cologne show if you really want to have all three different versions (but in that case you might want to find the Japanese box set anyway).
VINE VOICEon 12 December 2006
A wise man pointed me towards the guitar solo in 'Stargazer' and to the first half of 'Still I'm Sad', both of which appear on Disc 2 of this latest archive release (the latter of which, the studio version I loathe). The dirty bandit. A day later and it took a big bag of Munchies, a Girls Aloud calendar and a bottle of Barrs Red Kola to prise the headphones from my, um, head. Knowing my lust for the guitar work of Ritchie Blackmore at his peak, it's like taking a Glasgow jakey to Buckfast Abbey and locking him in.

Recorded a mere two nights after the already released 'Live In Cologne', this is, remarkably, even better. The mix seems clearer and the band performances seem to have notched up a degree. In particular, the often maligned keyboards of Tony Carey seem more integral.

But on to the stars of the show. Ronnie James Dio is in fine fettle, especially on what is my new favourite version of 'Catch The Rainbow' , Cozy Powell demonstrates that he was the greatest rock drummer ever (rebuttals on a postcard to someone who cares - for goodness sake, listen to 'Man On The Silver Mountain' for proof) and the workmanlike bass of Jimmy Bain is never less than workmanlike!

And then there's Ritchie. Now I've probably heard thousands of hours of his playing including (whisper) boots of this tour but, cleaned up and polished, I'm convinced this was when he peaked. Back in the box Purpleheads, this was when the line between genius and Xmas carols was straddled with most applomb.

So, as the Cozy 1812 Overture crashes through my head again, I doff my syrup to Mr Blackmore one more time. We shall never see his like again. Absolutely essential for fans of the man, this is an hour and a half you will want to relive over and over.
on 8 November 2015
Everything was in perfect order. potential problems are solved very professionally. The waiting time in zgodby with information. Just big OK. Regards, THANKS AND RECOMMEND Aleksandra
on 1 February 2015