Format: DVD|Change

This production of Peter and the Wolf came about as a direct result of Abbado's request to use his previous CD of Peter and the Wolf as the basis of a Spitting Image presentation. In the event, because of the prohibitive cost of making puppets for a once-only usage, it was decided to apply the same puppetry idea to all the contents of the CD. This enlarged project is very much our gain.

The setting of all the pieces involved a combination of puppets, people and people wearing masks etc. The technical problems were `daunting' and required `many tricks and seemingly impossible shots, some of which challenged the imagination, and tested the patience, of everyone but the extraordinary "Spitting Image" team' quoting the booklet information.

One further quote sums this project up `They are the living proof that one should always dare to imagine the impossible, and then attempt it'. So does this entertainment work? The answer is a resounding "Yes" in my opinion.

As evidence I would comment that for many years I taught children of ages 6-11 in various classes. Every year I played this Peter and the Wolf as an end of term treat and, without exception, all the children of all backgrounds were completely entranced for the whole half hour. This, at a time when there was considerable competition from video games and TV animation. Furthermore, I as an adult always enjoyed the repeated experience without it ever failing to communicate its gentle humour aimed at a wide age-span and children of all ages up to retirement!

This is without doubt the most imaginative and enjoyable production I have ever seen of the piece. The rest of the disc is also thoroughly enjoyable as bonus material. The visual recording could not be bettered and the 4:3 format is irrelevant. The sound is presented in DTS and stereo and both are excellent. The unique nature of this venture and its excellence in execution make it an easy 5 star purchase for me and I am sure it will appeal to huge numbers of children and adults alike.
on 8 August 2008
I purchased this DVD for the Grandchildren a few months ago. On first viewing I was a little taken aback by the seemingly restrictive stage set. I long remember this work from my childhood on old 78's when my field of imagination was seemingly much broader than this set.
But, that said, the musical performance is exemplary, beautiful and very professional.
Needless to say the kids absolutely love it and play it over and over. So, there is some hope that the Classics are not yet dead with the young.
My sadness is that the childlike visual imagination is taken over, and that is never ideal.
On subsequent viewings with the children, I too have come to appreciate the simplicity and sincerity of this disc. Well done!
on 1 January 2010
Any CLASSICAL music video by Abbado is bound to be perfection, and being coupled to Prokofiev`s immortal musical tale of Peter & The Wolf even better! Add Sting narrating in his own unique and wonderfully slightly SCARY style then makes this the "reference video" for all other Peter & The Wolf versions to be judged by!Our grandchildren just watch & listen, over & over again, with rapt attention sitting on the edge of the sofa with their eyes popping out of their heads!!!Wonderful family entertainment!
on 15 December 2012
Choosing an item such as this for children - especially very young ones - is always a bit of a gamble, and no-one ever knows what the reaction will be; but I took the gamble here, with a not-quite-three-year-old granddaughter, and it came off. Of course, you don't get any very sophisticated critique from so young an audience, and the reaction will differ from one day to the next, sometimes quite brutally; but she did, one morning, sit contentedly through the entire programme (which includes not only Peter and the Wolf, but also the same composer's Overture on Hebrew Themes and his Classical Symphony - this embellished with wonderful caricatures - for those who can recognise them - of Bach, Mozart, Wagner and no doubt a few more) Towards the end my young companion fell asleep, but it was a contented sleep; and the next week she came back for more. A gamble, of course, with children so young, but one worth taking.
on 11 March 2011
I bought this for my 4 year old and he loves it. The wolf was a little bit scary at first, but we coped and he has incorporated him into his games and imagination. The music is wonderful, the spitting image puppets were great and the production a joy. Highly recommended.
on 9 October 2016
20 years ago my children where little and I liked to look the recorded program from television, Peter and the wolf; by Sting
Now I am pleased to see the DVD and enjoined the music and film they made.
on 10 October 2015
This production has something for everyone. Very cleverly produced with lots of detail for all ages. The Primary ask for it regularly because they love the music and story characters and the adults enjoy the Marx Bothers etc.
on 9 September 2013
Delightful, I've been after this dvd for years. Great in many ways, I continue enjoying it no matter how many times I've watched it or how much older I am now.
on 2 May 2013
This is a fun account of the classic story. The music is good. The puppets are effective. At first, the wolf appears scary but the humour in the interpretation soon makes the character acceptable to children.
on 18 May 2011
A first class performnce by Claudio Abbado and the orchestra. Entertaining, educational and amusing. Will be enjoyed by children and adults. I saw this DVD while visiting and ordered one for myself as soon as I returned home.