Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 July 2009
This is an album that repays a couple of listens.

When I first loaded it up, I wasn't too impressed by the first couple of tracks, fairly heavy riffing and a sound almost identical to Evanescence even down to Ji-In Cho's Amy Lee alike vocals. But stick with it and as you move through the album it is as if a door has opened. From Track 8 onwards to the epic 10 minute closer, "At the Gates of Retribution" - a real prog classic - I was sat up in my seat in awe of the fantastic music. Guitars swirl with keyboards, choral vocals, strings for an unforgettable musical experience.

On a replay I found I started to appreciate the nuances in the earlier tracks. Yes the riffing is bassy and heavy but the melody is never far away and the whole experience is far more balanced than the latest Dream Theater which I found to be meaninglessly heavy and tedious.

Difficult to pigeonhole the Krypteria sound alongside other bands. I discovered the group after reading a reference in an Edenbridge review, but their sound is much deeper and more orchestral like with prominent use of the keyboards. There's a few guitar solos though not in the same league as Lanvall's however that's not the main attraction of the band. They are also compared to Nightwish but again the sound is quite different. I guess Within Temptation vs Evanescence is the closest I can get but ultimately Krypteria are their own brand of very melodic, haunting power metal.