on 21 June 2014
Had this pen a while now, but I've decided considering the price these things cost, they are utterly useless and end up being a huge waste of money.

Good Points:
• They feel and look very well made for what they are
• Unrelated to the product, but I had no difficulties with the seller. In fact I think it turned up early.

Bad Points:
• The ink loading mechanism is difficult, but not necessarily a bad point I suppose
• Draws for a whole 5 seconds before it just stops working and scratches the paper to shreds
• The tip feel is awful to me. Its like drawing with a nail; it scratches any paper type from cartridge to bristol board
• Drawing any faster than snail movements results in inconsistent lines and / or no lines at all

So what is the point of them? Supposedly they are technical pens, producing consistent lines (apparently you have to be very slow at drawing for them to even work....) To me they are just overly expensive pens most likely simply because of a branding name, but there are many more pens our there that would do what these say they are used for 100 times better and with 100 times more ease. Just simple drawing pens like the ones faber castell make are far superior, and while still not cheap exactly, they produce far better, more reliable and consistent lines than these. And they are still a lot cheaper regardless. For about £6 less than one of these pens, you could buy an assorted pack of varying sizes of the arguably much better faber castell pens, or any other similar pens. And if you're wondering if they produces thin consistent lines like these claim to be used for, they do indeed. In fact I don't think I've ever really had that issue with almost any good quality artist-range pens anyway.

I brought this on passing recommendation, but they have simply left a disgusting taste in my mouth and a whole in my pocket. Very disappointing product. Just using it now, it draws fine for a while if I hold it at 90 degrees from the paper (because we all draw like that), but then will just stop working. Then have to shake it and get irritated by it, use it again and again and eventually it starts working again. Of course this is after its ruined you work with scratches, and even where its started to work again you can see where the two lines connect. Ironically this produces a small inconsistency in line width, the very thing these claim to not produce.

Don't buy them, get something else, but from the same seller so I don't feel so bad about this. Rotring do make fantastic mechanical pencils. :)
2 people found this helpful
|33 Comments|Report abuse
on 3 January 2015
These pens have very mixed reviews. I have to say that I have had trouble with the 1.0mm width one, but giving the pen a good shake usually does the trick and now works fine. I've also read that these pens can be very scratchy, which is true, but that is usually when they are used like a normal writing pen. These are technical pens which need to be used near vertical, not at an angle. They will work, but that's why they are scratchy. Anyway, I find them a pleasure to use and would recommend them to anyone who Is willing to put in a little effort to get the most out of these great pens.
on 2 November 2014
I have had a few of these pens for a while now and have not had any issues with them! they produce incredibly crisp lines and are relativley easy to maintain/clean! at first I wasn't sure about spending so much money on these pens but I am glad I have as they have probably saved me money in the long run, as you can pick up refills quite cheaply!

A must have for any illustrator or artist wanting a high quality pen!
2 people found this helpful
on 31 March 2013
Remember these pens from technical drawing days back at school and the great quality of them.

They are an exquisite example of German engineering and built to last forever. Admittedly I am no artist or technical draftsman, but the pen makes a great job of filling in the daily cryptic crossword and Sudoku puzzles.

Great price on Amazon too.
4 people found this helpful
on 28 February 2014
As a design engineer I have used numerous types of Tech. pens, but the Rotring product impressed the most.
Now retired, I use the pen for black & white non technical drawings.
Would not use any other pen other than a dip pen, but only when I want lines of varying thickness.
Horses for courses.
With the Tech. pen, you can't mess up a finished drawing with an unwanted blob of ink and ruin hours of work
5 people found this helpful
on 24 October 2014
After the initial assembling of the nib which can be a bit fiddly, the ink began flowing through really smoothly. I am delighted with this pen even though its not quite as fine as the 0.1 mm which I have always used in the past. These pens are the only ones that seem to produce for me really good drawings as the ink also allows me to smudge areas with a wet brush. I will also buy the 0.1mm at a future date when funds allow.
One person found this helpful
on 1 February 2017
I dont like this pen, It gets blocked too easy and the nib is just to delicate for me. Very good return service by Amazon.
on 5 January 2016
Tried rapidoart on my nails with rotring pen . It's great . Ink is so dark and I love it . Thank you . Although would be nice to find leaflet in the box to know how to replace ink cartridges .
on 29 January 2018
good instrument, have used for years
on 1 March 2017
tried two pens, nether would flow with ink with any success. Not the product they were years ago.