on 4 May 2010
The pen was bought by my daughter for a 21st birthday present for her brother.The pen is of a very good quality and has a good smooth action and her brother uses it a lot and is very impressed.The only thing I would have liked was more than one refill cartridge supplied with it,otherwise very good value for money
15 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 9 June 2010
Despite all the nifty pens devised since the first green Pentel rollerball thirty-odd years ago, there's nothing quite like a proper fountain pen. Of course it's a much bigger investment - you could buy tens of rollerballs for the same money. But you can't refill most of those rollerballs - so the question to ask is how much a rollerball can write, and how this compares to a bottle of ink, which costs about the same as three or four rollerballs. My guess is that the fountain pen and ink will thrash the rollerballs in the long run. Maybe not very relevant in an era when you type rather than write, but when you write you may as well do so with a bit of style.

The style of the pen is very plain - Matt black for the cap and barrel, shiny black for the grip, and a standard medium nib. But that's fine with me - I've had many fountain pens, and black was always the best colour. The nib writes smoothly and the grip is not as slippery as it looks. The clip seems very sturdy, and the cap goes on with a convincing sounding click - it's not going to fall off.

It's happiest on good quality paper as found in a Moleskine notebook, but is fine on photocopier paper and can be used for the crossword or Sudoku in your newspaper if you want.

Unless you're really clumsy, get the converter and bottled ink rather than cartridges - my guess is that bottled ink is about a third of the price by volume, so the converter soon pays for itself. Refilling from a bottle is where the smooth grip pays off - the ink just falls off it and you barely need blotting paper to avoid inky fingers.
38 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
This beautiful pen was bought as a present. It arrived promptly. However, the pen appears to only use cartridges and I was hoping it would have the traditional filler tube. I own two similar Waterman pens both of which use both cartridges and filler tube. Why not for my recent purchase?
3 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 16 June 2011
Very convinient and elegant pen. Feels good in hand especially when writing for a long time.

The only disadvantage is engraving. I bought another one as a birthday present for my friend. The discription says it is easy to engrave. So I decided to risk. It was not a disaster; the pen still looks fine. But engraving is a dark-grey writing on the black pen. The 'engraver' said that he had done his best. Or may be I did some kind of wrong or inappropriate engraving for this type of pen. But still I would not recomend to do it.

Overall, the pen is very good for day-to-day use. I write with it in college and ultimately very satisfied
One person found this helpful
on 14 September 2011
This is a lovely pen, very nice to write with and great with that ink-reservoir I bought at the same time. I do use it often, because I like to write personal letters with a pen, rather than using the computer to write with.
W. Beiersdorf