Customer reviews

Colour: Black Gold Trim|Size: Medium Nib|Change

on 8 January 2016
Beautiful deep lacquer in a red colour similar to that on the Dunhill AD2000.
The Carene is the greatest bargain in the Waterman lineup. I own (gulp) nine separate versions of this, and every one is a wet, skip-free write straight out of the box when using Waterman cartridges.
Quality is high, and the inlaid nibs are solid 18kt gold.
Nibs are a little in the broad side- a 'M' is edging towards broad, while an 'F' is close to medium.
You also can't post the cap safely.
Waterman presents them well- all come with a converter and a box of 8 blue cartridges. There are many very very expensive pens now supplied without, so Waterman should be congratulated.

Buy a fountain pen and a bottle of ink- it's much more environmentally friendly than a disposable ballpoint and your writing will be so much nicer.

These are my favourite pens by a country mile.
on 2 February 2017
I like fountain pens. It's my guilty pleasure. I like collecting new, old, cheap and expensive.

I just like how they are superior to every other writing medium, well that's how I see it.

I have found some cheap gems and some very expensive stinkers (that's you Mont Blanc <insert any model they make here>).

This pen sits comfortably in the affordable end, but still be a considerable amount to spend and therefore needs to be good at what it does. This *is* good at what it does.

It has a kind of pleasant sexy (hmm yes I just said that..) feel and look about it, but doesn't trade off writing ability. The nib is really first class for this price and it will serve you well for years to come.

Unfussy ink converter size that has the ability to take standard cartridges also, so no need to buy bottled ink if you don't want to (but go on... just try it... once you do you will never go back to cartridges). Oops, doing my stationary pushing thing again. Sorry.

A lovely pen that would make a generous statement gift, or better still present for yourself.

Enjoy!
on 11 March 2017
Beautiful, elegant and comfortable pen. Writes very smoothly and the nib (medium) lends a satisfyingly thickish line and flex. The pen comes with its filler and one cartridge (I used Edelsten ink from Pelikan). The overall look is exactly as pictured (you get a slightly brighter look in bright light)- mine has a slightly more brown tinge rather than brighter red (I have a similar ball pen from Waterman that is more reddish and brighter in light). That said this pen lends a quiet serene classic look which I love, an understated look with a prominent shaped gold nib. Good balance and overall feels lighter in hand than Cross Townsend Peacock. My only concern (from previous Watermans) is that I hope the lacquer does not chip - it has been a problem of sorts before and I have been surprised at how easily some Watermans of mine have chipped. My Cross lacquer pens (all) have weathered much, much better than Waterman over 20 years of use! Would be tempted to go for the plain black and gold nib. Very satisfied. Amazon delivery was excellent.
on 12 June 2017
Purchased this pen exactly 5 years ago, and have used and loved it every single day. Unfortunately a crack developed on the front of the pen which I was very upset about. So I checked Waterman warranties (on their website) and discovered that the pen has a standard 3 year warranty which can be extend two years if registering the product. So I did, 4 years and 11 months after purchase. I contacted Waterman at the same time to explain the situation. Without hassle, they honoured the warranty and repaired my pen in less than two weeks (they organised shipping to and from France via UPS). The pen is beautiful, definitely recommend the design, flow of ink, and I am left very impressed by their customer service! Buy in confidence!
on 22 October 2015
I'm very impressed with this fountain pen. I did a lot of research before purchasing to find one that was a nice smooth writer and didn't snag or scratch on the paper. I'm pleased to say that this fitted the bill perfectly and it looks nice too. I'm glad this is fitted with the fine nib as I think the medium nib would have been too broad for my handwriting. I use it every day and it is a pleasure to write with it.
on 2 May 2017
Bought as a gift for my wife.
Her comments are as follows
Beautiful to look at, a graceful looking pen.
Writes very smoothly, glides effortlessly over the paper. This is using Waterman Serenity Blue cartridge.
The fine nib suits her style of handwriting.
A luxury feel to this pen.
Excellent value for a pen of this quality.
on 23 December 2015
Fabulous pen. The first proper old nabbed pen I've owned but nothing now quite compares to it. it's light enough to use with comfort but heavy enough to feel luxurious. It warms to your hand and the material looks 'deep' when the light catches the barrel.

i struggle to put pressure on a ball pen when I write now due to arthritis but this pen glides so smoothly it's literally winless.
on 13 July 2015
A treat for anyone who learnt to write with a fountain pen. This is a quality writing instrument. It is quite heavy but well balanced. It comes with a fine nib which sites very smoothly and (as against a broader nib) doesn't leave too much ink to dry out or be blotted. I use the large cartridges as a rule but the supplied alternative manual fill reservoir works without a hitch. Nice presentation box adds to the quality feel.
on 18 January 2015
I love this pen.

I collect fountain pens and wanted to add one of these to my collection. As a student they were out of my price range initially, and then I noticed that Amazon had an absurdly low price available.

I quickly pressed buy, feeling quite guilty that I was clearly exploiting someone's mistake. I never expected the pen to be delivered - it was too cheap.

When it arrived I was delighted. It is a fairly wet writer, and because of the style of the nib there is no flex - it's a 'nail'. But that is all fine. I used it very regularly and am very happy. Amazon still seem to have an amazing price too so I feel less guilty.
on 8 August 2014
This is the second Carene that I've had, the first one I sent back because the Ink feed was far too wet.
I liked the first pen that much that I took a chance and bought a second Carene and I am so glad that I did.
Firstly the pen looks fabulous, especially in gunmetal and has a nice weight to it around 40g.
Writing with this pen is very enjoyable, no matter how you pick up the pen, the grip is always comfortable and your fingers always seem to be in the right place. The Ink feed to the nib is slightly wet, which for me is perfect.
With regard to how this pen writes, it is silky smooth, comfortable, effortless and well-balanced.
Would I buy this pen again, most definitely as I absolutely love this pen.