Colour Name: Light Light Black|Change

I have been using Epson printers the last decade, and I have also concluded that 80ml as used in the 3800 and the current 3880 printers is just about the smallest ink cartridge that makes monetary sense if you do any proper volume of printing. Any smaller and cheaper printer with lower capacity ink cartridges - also from Epson - will soon have cost you more than the professional A2 printers.

It varies depending on what you print, of course, but at £35 per cartridge, my calculations indicate a price of 1p per square inch with the 3880's ink. That's almost exactly £1 per full-bleed A4 sheet. Based on numbers I found online that in my experience seem relatively accurate, changing blacks costs a bit over £1 as well, though with a bit of planning, one can avoid doing that too often.

From experience, I have also found that there is no need to worry about expiry dates on ink cartridges - at least not with these - as I have some that are more than two years over now (I've not printed as much as I used to the last few years), but there's been no problem with clotting, clogging or colours being off.

I can't compare it to third-party inks as I'd never gamble by putting anything like that through a £1,000 printer. I'll stick to the originals, thank you very much. I know that they work, that they last, I know exactly how they behave and how I have to adjust my prints to make them exactly the way I want them.

To this day, Epson Ultrachrome is the best inkset I have used, with the nicest colour transitions and shades of (very neutral) greys, negligible metamerism, an excellent gamut, and no clogging problems - though that is probably also due to the printer as the 3800-series seem to historically have had fewer complaints about that than Epson's other offerings.
review image

on 5 December 2015
Product is fine - sell by date of just 2 months is not - especially when there is 80ml of ink. I realise it was a good price but can find nothing to say there was such a short shelf life. Need it on the day so have to use it.

From Wembley Supplies Group

VINE VOICEon 23 August 2012
a very reliable result is provided by all these Epson inks and unlike the previous generations you do not get the problem of bronzing. Make sure you have got good colour matching on the camera/monitor/printer though.
These inks are considerably better than earlier generations, much less likely to produce the strange reflections of previous inks. Some of the more modern printers also offer "vivid varieties"
on 5 December 2015
This is an excellent product and reproduction is always top quality with epson ink. Unfortunately I made the mistake of ordering the more expensive ink offered by Amazon prime as I required the ink urgently. It took 4 very frustrating days for me to receive 'next day' delivery from Amazon during which time I experienced their idea of "customer centric" service from their telephone advisors. On the positive side it was relatively easy to contact them- they called back within 10 minutes each time (except when I finally asked to speak to a supervisor/ manager- then it took over a day and a half). Yes- they were apologetic. No- they were completely incapable of finding out where my order was; obtaining any more detailed information from their own logistics department regarding a delivery date or time or dispatching the order again to ensure that the second one might arrive timeously. In fact the customer service department(s) I dealt with managed communicate nothing more than the tracking information already available on the website and could do nothing to expidite the order other than send unanswered messages to their local logistics people. The order finally turned up 2 hours before Amazon would have been obliged to declare it lost (1900 on a friday evening) and either provide a refund or their system would finally allow them to resend the order. As I use the ink in my business (I'm an artist) and as I explained to their customer service advisors the delay had the knock on effect of stopping me from filling my own orders and as Amazon could provide me with no information or guarantee that the ink would arrive on Friday I was forced to order another with guaranteed delivery from a competitor at considerable extra expense in order that I would have the product and be able to catch up on the backlog of work before end of business on Monday. The overwhelming response from Amazon's customer service team was complete indifference to the situation and a total lack of interest in providing anything other than the absolute minimum of effort in response to my enquiries. As expected the supervisor did not call back until after the delivery had finally arrived after close of business on Friday.
on 15 July 2013
I always go for Epson genuine inks, and this one doesn't disappoint.
However surprisingly for Amazon they are cheaper elsewhere.

See one answered question