Back To Black
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 11 September 2016
Amy’s second and final album release in 2006 signalled her moving on from the jazzy debut ‘Frank’ and embracing a more R&B style to appeal to a wider mainstream audience. The resulting overall sound resembles the Motown/soul era of the 1960s and 70s with brass, strings and backing vocals later added to the basic rhythm section by producers Ronson & Remi. The album was a deserved Grammy winner and remains Amy’s defining work, containing five songs destined to become hit singles.

In addition to the 11 songs on the 2006 album, the 2007 ‘deluxe edition’ includes a bonus disc of extra tracks and performances in front of a live-audience.

What’s special about B to B? The overall sound is intentionally retro, but Winehouse’s edgy, often explicit lyrics are delivered with artistry, a brash, sassy urban confidence and rare mastery of her chosen style. She broke new ground in popular music which opened the door to a host of style-imitators: Adele, La Roux, Little Boots and a host of others. But B to B is the original style-defining musical statement, and will always be a classic.

RIP Amy.
on 21 May 2017
I love this album so bought the Vinyl but had the same issue with the first one and the exchanged one, skipping and jumping on side one. Whether it's a faulty batch or not, I'm now cautious in considering buying vinyl online now. No quibbles in exchange or refund though.
4 people found this helpful
on 24 October 2017
Arrived in really good time and in perfect quality. It was packaged really well to keep it safe. Love the fact things are being brought back in vinyl format so you can listen to “older” music and very recent artists. This was the 1st record I bought and I’m chuffed to bits with it! :D
on 11 November 2016
I purchased this album for my wife.
this is a very good pressing, very thick vinyl, and heavy weight.
sounds great via moving coil cartridge and mid-range turntable set up.

so I would say a good quality item for the price, especially when my wife also got the mp3 download of the album included in the purchase price.
ok so it's not exactly rocket science to convert Vinyl to any digitised format, but it does save you the bother of doing it for your pc / tablet / phone.

If you like Amy's music, and you like vinyl, this is a good buy.
on 12 June 2014
Years after Amy's death, I still listen to this and marvel at the texture of Amy's voice, the depth, the range, the musicality, the charisma. I also marvel at the wit, humour and kitchen sink reality of some of her songs. I wonder, sadly, what music she would have gone on to offer the world if she had not died when she did.

There are obvious highlights here, from the fantastically catchy 'Rehab', to the wonderful and iconic 'Back To Black', but there is also no obvious 'filler', rather, every song here has a character and mood of it's own. The witty 'Addicted' and 'Me and Mr. Jones' both have charima and humour, 'realness' and vivacity.

This album was landmark, but that scarcely needs to be said - a listen to it all the way through will convince anyone who appreciates brilliant vocals. They are often deep, sometimes even earthy, yet always perfectly compliment the array of musical instruments which appear here. Amy is sadly missed by her fans, yet this album will undoubtedly be discovered by future generations.
on 5 February 2016
Back To Black [VINYL]
Seems to be a few different versions of this Album knocking around on vinyl, some like mine contain the explicit tracks and some clean versions, Some talk about gatefold additions with extra tracks, but regardless which you have, they seem to be mastered in the same poor fashion, I have the LC00407 Addition, and as other have said its lacks a little depth, not the vinyl sound you'd expect, vocals are a bit distorted and screechy, sadly all very noticeable on the opening track Rehab, other are a mixture of quite good sound down to distorted, love is a loosing game still sounds good though i think they'd have to have taken transfers from and old C120 tape to ruin such a great track.
All in all, still good to put on and have in the collection for around £12-£13 but i wouldn't pay much more, not a great album for me to choose to play to the other half to explain why I've just spent over £200 on a record player... Much better out there..
Lets hope this someday gets the quality release it deserves..
on 6 August 2011
I have to say that I find this album amazingly mature and sophisticated for such a young woman.

From soul through Jazz, R'n'B and a bit of the blues, this album has it all, whether you are driving your car, are listening to it on your I-Pod on the tube or laze around at home humming along with the songs, the more you listen to it, the better it gets.

Not only did she have one of the most unique and recognisable voices of all times, and I am not overexaggerating if I compare her to women such as Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald and the great Nina Simone, but her songwriting abilities were fantastically original.

I am still so devastated about her passing and I cannot seem to find the right words to express how I feel.

One is for sure, her legend will live on.
on 11 January 2016
Of course, the CD is excellent but only that the CD itself was OK, that it was a Christmas present arriving on the 23rd Dec and the recipient was happy enough that the CD was undamaged, I would have returned it: I bought it new and it clearly had been opened and used: the CD case was very scuffed and it was obvious that a security seal had been removed. When something is advertised as new, I expect to get new.
on 9 February 2015
Hello.
This album I think will endure through the years to come.
The late Amy Winehouse has an exceptional voice and
triggers of a range of emotions.
Amy's song's of love and loss bring out very deep and
tender feeling's. In particular the remarkable 'Love Is A
Losing Game' my particular favourite track.
The likes of Amy Whinehouse are precious, and come
along rarely. 'Back To Black' is a fine record to remember
her wonderful talent.
Thank You.
Craig.
on 12 December 2017
Any Winehouse is a fantastic artist and this album proves it. Sound s great on vinyl. Unfortunately my vinyl came with one scratch which means I get a small skip on side one which is annoying and a shame.