on 8 January 2007
If you are a fan of stand-up (and I presume you are if you are looking at this collection) then you will not be disappointed. This is an almost-definitive collection of Eddie's shows (his first recorded show, Live At The Ambassadors, has not been included but you may be able to get it separately on VHS). His subject matter is wide-ranging to say the least, commenting on everything from queuing up at late-night petrol stations, to Greek Gods, to cats drilling behind the sofa.

The shows get more glitzy and polished in terms production values and delivery with each release (Amazon has listed the shows in order, starting with Unrepeatable and ending with Sexie), however general opinion suggests the comedy peaks with Glorious and Dressed To Kill. Circle and Sexie are not bad (I went to the see Sexie live, just thought I'd drop that in for no tangible reason) but do not have your sides splitting as much as his previous shows.

In conclusion Ladies and Jellyspoons, this is a must for Izzard fans and lovers of stand-up and at £22 for 6 shows you just can't go wrong (price correct at time of review). Just a shame that Ambassadors was not included.
on 31 July 2007
Eddie Izzard is, at least in my opinion, the best comedian on the planet. He is very funny (which helps), but also comes off as a 'nice person'. He seems a lot more down-to-earth than other comedians. Anyone who is put-off by the whole transvestite thing is really missing the point - if anything, it just gives him more material. He never repeats any material (well if I've forgotten then only a slight repeat). There are so many amazing routines and jokes in this box set it is hard to pick out the best show, let alone the best routine. Eddie (or Mr. Izzard) is great with his miming and impressions - especially his dentist routine in 'Sexie'. Sometimes if he messes up or gets carried away he can bomb a little bit (sounds a bit contradictory), which is probably most apparant in 'Glorious'. However, if you stick with the show you will love him by the end. He is clever, nice, insightful, down-to-earth and very very very funny. All the shows are very re-watchable if you just wait till you've forgotten a couple of the jokes. In fact, I think I'm going to go and watch Circle again right now.
Oh yeah - this is pretty good value for 6 shows (it was even better value this time last year so just wait a bit!)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 January 2007
This amazing set of six Eddie Izzard DVD's (all his releases to date) is well worth getting. It includes:

Unrepeatable (1994)

Definite Article (1996)

Glorious (1997)

Dress To Kill (1998)

Circle (2000)

Sexie (2003

As far as I can tell the DVD's have all the extras you would get if you purchased them individually. So on Dressed To Kill you get the Dress to Circle show from Paris, which Eddie does in French (but you can watch the English subtitles!). There are commentary tracks on all the discs.

I have yet to see Circle and Sexie and from what I have read they are not quite as good as his earlier material. However the first four are so brilliant that anything less than 5 stars would be a travesty!

This set will keep you laughing for days and days....
on 31 January 2007
When I bought COMIC AID on DVD, was the first time I really came across Eddie Izzard, and I haven't been the same since. The next day I rushed out to by this set, and now 3 days and 6 DVD's later I have left my TV just long enough to write this review before I start watching Izzard's movies.

Eddie's not just an "executive" or "action" transvestite, he is a God to comedy. The performances are genuinely hilarious. No one can compare to him... and as they say, the proof is in the pudding so you need to buy this Box Set. For your own insanity.

Mr Izzard... I take my hat off to you...
on 28 July 2009
At first I was not sure whether I should be so crazy to buy all these DVDs in one go, as I knew Eddie Izzard only from short clips on the Internet. To cut a long story short: it was definitely worth it! Not only do you get six shows, including hilarious pieces such as "Death Star Canteen", "Starship Enterprise" ("There should be more thank just two phaser settings"), "Dentist", "Supermarkets", "Vegetables", "Noah on speed" and various musings on religions - to name only a few, every DVD also comes with Audio Commentary, a Trivia Track and a bleeped Audio Track. Documentaries, e.g. a gig in Paris (in French!), round up the whole picture.
This DVD Box Set provides you with hours and hours of witty, intelligent, spontaneous fun, many thoughts that are worth thinking about, and a glimpse on the life and work of an intelligent, brave and versatile comedian.
on 12 November 2015
Brilliant I bought this for my husband just after Christmas and we have watched it all the way through we didn't want to stop watching it . Great buy very entertaining and well worth the money spent on it.
on 3 December 2009
I have no idea what Eddie or Lego think about the lego-animated sketches of Eddie you can find on the internet,
but I think I was searching for a video of people building some of the huge Lego Star Wars models, when I stumbled
upon the lego-animated death star canteen sketch. Hilarious.
After watching lots of related videos (with and w/o lego) it wasn't a difficult decision to order this DVD set.
And I loved it!
I'm admiring his skills of story-telling and creating wonderful dialogs between his characters.

This is one of the most important british DVD sets I own - if not the most important one.
(Another one being the Shameless tv series. Something they will never ever broadcast here ...)

After watching the whole DVD set I started to look for other english-speaking comedians on the web
that I might have missed as a non-native speaker and I can recommend to have a look at (the stuff of)
the american comedian George Carlin, who unfortunately passed away last year ...
(Check out his "stuff" sketch on the internet ...)
on 7 February 2009
This man is astonishing. I cannot think of another stand up who makes me laugh SO much, time and time again, and his material is without venom or scorn (even when talking about yobs who attack him for being a tranvestite he treats them with humour and an attempt at sympathy - more than I would I'm sure in the same situation!).
BUY these DVD's - you'll be so happy you did!
on 3 September 2013
This is a really good compilation of Eddie Izzard's work and very reasonably priced. If you already know loads of Eddie Izzard it is great as it is really good quality and captures all of his finest moments an if you are new to his work it is good as it provides a really good selection in good quality and at a good price.
I would recommend it for anyone!!
on 3 December 2006
This is THE essential collection for any eddie izzard fan ,includes all his best work (glorious/dressed to kill) and the lesser known but equally as funny sexie

a must own