Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 9 August 2017
Made a older pair of friends very happy. Thank you.
on 11 June 2017
GREAT FILM GREAT SERVICE
on 4 August 2017
Wonderful film in a clean good condition. Thank you
on 30 May 2017
all good with this item
on 4 August 2017
Saw it years ago brilliant then brilliant now
on 14 May 2017
An exellent film, one of the best i've ever seen.
on 9 August 2017
The first major post Vietnam film. Perhaps still the best?
on 30 July 2017
Excellent.
on 12 September 2014
Let me state upfront that when "The Deer Hunter" (1978 production but wide release in early 1979; 183 min.) was first released, I was 18 years old, and the movie left a profound impression on me when I first saw it. I have seen bits and pieces of it here and there (usually by channel-surfing coincidence), but I hadn't seen the movie proper in several decades. There recently was a nice write-up in the Financial Times about this year being the movie's 35th anniversary (as to its wide release), and I told myself, I just have to see this movie again! My preference would've been to see it again in the theater, but that not being possible, I ordered the Blu-ray.

Couple of comments on what it was like to re-watch the movie after all these years: while I recalled quite a bit of the movie, I was struck by the many details that jumped out at me, such as the beautiful wedding scenes and subsequent reception scenes. Also struck by the beauty and grace of the young Meryl Streep (then in a relationship with cancer-stricken John Cazale, who passed away shortly after shooting this and never saw the completed movie). Also very impressed with the devastating performance from John Savage as the vulnerable Stevie, how did this not get noticed come Oscar time? Also when you look at the early/mid 70s steel town scenes, all I could think was "those were horrible times!". The now infamous Russian Roulette scenes remain as difficult to watch now as they were then, although I will say that it was a shock seeing them as an 18 yr. old. I did not expect to react to the movie as emotionally as I did, given that I knew exactly how it would play out. As it turned out, I found myself in tears on many occasions throughout the movie, and at the conclusion of it, I was a wreck, clear and simple.

Upon having watched the 3 hour movie, I'm sorry but I wasn't interested AT ALL in watching any of the bonus materials, which include "Deleted Scenes and Extended Scenes", "Feature Commentary with Cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond and Film Journalist Bob Fisher", the theatrical trailer, and strangely enough a feature called "100 Years at Universal: Academy Award Winners". Maybe I'll get to it one day, maybe not, but it is completely secondary to reliving the emotional rollercoaster that is "The Deer Hunter", a movie that resonated with me in 1979 and still does so now 35 years later in 2014. "The Deer Hunter" truly stands the test of time any way you look at it, and is a MUST-SEE movie, period.

"The Deer Hunter" cost (in today's dollars) $59 million to make, and went on to score (in today's dollars) $196 million at the box office. Can you imagine what it would cost to shoot a movie like that in today's Hollywood? And that's assuming it could even be made today.

A quick comment about the Blu-ray: this comes as a 2 disc package, with Disc 1 being the "regular" version and Disc 2 being the "wide screen" version. I started playing Disc 1 and immediately felt something was off. It wasn't until 5 minutes into the movie that I finally figured out what the 2nd disc was for. I immediately switched to the "wide screen" version and that was perfectly fine.
on 20 January 2017
This review only applies to DVD (ASIN:B00005V4V4). Despite it's modest average bitrate (5143kbps), the picture and sound quality is so much better than other DVDs I've played.

This Vietnam War epic has a great cast, the direction is good and has a excellent soundtrack. At just under three hours, it's too long.