on 10 June 2012
I read all the other reviews first before buying these thinking for around £20, it's not the end of the world if they're not great. Turns out they're pretty fantastic... especially considering the price. The volume level is good too and seems to match what is pumping out in the other room (these are for the kitchen). Take a look at the pictures I've uploaded too of the finished thing and a detail of the back.

If you're a complete audiophile you'll be able to tell the difference in top end speakers but I use them in the kitchen so I can have the sound from the lounge all the way through the ground floor and they're much better than I was expecting. No crackle, hiss or distortion. I haven't turned them up really loud but won't need to.

I have them fitted to a Sony amp with A + B speaker selection so I don't need to have them on all the time. I also got the speaker wire from Amazon and the sound is excellent: Philex 19806HS20 42 Strand Clear Speaker Cable - 20m I'd recommend getting a bit more than you plan for in case you need to make a detour in the ceiling like I did because of the way the joists ran.

Fitting was really easy. In fact the easiest part was cutting a hole in the ceiling and screwing them in. There weren't any instruction in the box but there's not a lot to it. In the box you get 2 speakers, a template to use for cutting the hole, screws, a foam gasket (circle of foam to put around the ceiling if you need the extra. It's well packed and arrived really quickly considering I ordered it on the Friday before the Jubilee weekend (arrived Wednesday with free posting!)

The hard part was running the speaker wire in the ceiling but that's down to my house not the speakers. However you can make life easier for yourself with a set of these cable rods Blue Spot 60008 10x1.1m Cable Access Kit

One thing missing is the clip you need to attach bare cable to the male clips on the speaker. You could solder the wire or wrap it around and hold with electrical tape like I did until I get some proper connectors.

I had them in my wish list for months.... just wish I'd bought them sooner. For this price you can't go wrong.
review image review image
on 3 November 2009
was a bit unsure about buying the speakers because was concerned about sound quality, but had to have these in bathroom, and was almost amazed by the rich bass and clarity of the music, even though the system is running 5 seprate pairs of speakers, if your thinking of these you will not be disapointed- as a bonus really easy to fit as well!!!
on 13 February 2013
I bought these to put into the ceiling of a new ensuite bathroom where the budget was being stretched so something reasonable was needed. Very easy ti install and Wow what sound. How something so good comes out of something so cheap I don't know but I am not complaining.

They may not be the most glamorous but just listen to that sound!
on 5 November 2009
No problems with delivery or the sound form these speakers which I've put in my bathroom and dormer shower. The only slight niggle is that they are a bit grey in colouration rather than white, but nexy time I decorate I'll try painting them.
on 22 September 2012
I have installed a pair of these in the Kitchen ceiling. For the first few hours the Mylar cones do sound a little `plasticy' but once they have had a few hours of `running in' they sound great. I have since run them on a 2x30W RMS stereo system and a 2x3W RMS portable DAB radio (The radio was not designed for external speakers and rated at 4 ohm rather than these 8 ohm speakers) and both devices can power these speakers with ease with a full range sound with plenty of volume, nice bass with no distortion.

Worth noting is that the speakers will use the ceiling void as a speaker cabinet and sound transfer to the floor above could be an issue for some environments.
on 22 January 2014
This review is for the speakers and the Amplifier - We have these speakers in our upstairs bathroom ceiling and the sound from them is great. We didn't expect much but what we got was surprisingly good. Our kids (both adults now) won't use the bathroom without their music and now they don't have to take their phones in with them as we have them linked up to the Lepai TA2020+ Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with Power Supply.
on 3 February 2011
I honestly think the quality of the product is incredible for the price. It may not be the most attractive looking speaker but sound qaulity wise, it's extremely good. Usually from a product in this price range you wouldn't expect much, but I'm powering the speaker from an iPod docking station with the speaker wired manually from it. The bass reaponse is very good and doesn't sound nasty and over powered with high frequencies. The speaker is in my bath room in the ceiling, the only thing I would suggest is that if you are buying this product for that reason maybe consider getting two, one for a stereo effect and two to just enhance the sound.

4/5 - overall, extremely happy with the product.
on 26 January 2011
Bought a set with a view to fitting them in a new bathroom, but will probably use them in ordinary rooms as well.
Have only connected them up to the home stereo (which has a very good quality amp).
The sound quality (to my non-audiophile ears) was excellent. It was a little high end, but I an guessing the bass will come when fitted in the ceiling cavity :)
I will be buying more of these!

5 stars for QUALITY vs price
on 4 May 2014
I use these with "ZNU 2Ch Digital Mini Stereo Power Amplifier Home/Car AMP MP3 FM... " in bathroom.
Superb sound - the best setup in my house. Because of excellent sound quality and value for money I give the speakers 5/5 despite the fact that they are more light grey/blue rather than pure white. It is a pity they are not white though - almost everybody has white ceilings and everybody will notice these are not quite white. The manufacturer should put a bit of effort into sourcing better pigment. They I'd give them 6/5.
on 29 April 2012
These speakers have remarkably good reviews, so I selected them for my bathroom installation. I am driving them using a Sonos device. The speakers do come as a pair, which is not clear in the adverts. The physical build is OK and as good as I would expect for £22. The audio quality is reasonable and considering the bathroom environment is fairly noisy and has a strong echo I have no real worries here. But - the audio is not great either. Perhaps I have spend too much time listening to high quality audio systems, but these speakers produce a sound more like that from a 'transistor radio' of old. I wouldn't install these in an area where listening could be more critical.

In summary, considering the price, these are pretty decent for a bathroom installation.