Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 November 2006
I always wait a week to review the Deftones. As I am a shameless hardcore fan, I always think every new release is the greatest record ever. After seven days or so I generally calm down a little.

With the previous record I was a little disappointed. It lacked melody for me and there were too many songs that just drifted along. There were also not enough stand out tracks.

However, with the new album, this has all changed. Aggression and melody are fused perfectly. I have not had to press the track forward button once. Every song is brilliant. I can't pick out favourites as every song is great

Chino has one the most original vocals in modern music.

I am also a big fan of the Abe Cunningham as well, his drumming is immense.

Buy it now. No excuses.
on 7 November 2006
Many people were disappointed with the boys' previous offering and thought Deftones couldn't again equal their finest moments which, in my opinion, were found on White Pony. Well, they have. This album is what we all love about that Deftones sound and style but this time they seem to have taken it to a new level. If you want atmosphere then you've got in abundance. Every track oozes class and there seems to be a new diversity shining through which you may not have heard on the previous albums. Deftones have always been a kind of "aquired taste" but even my once R&B/Soul listening partner and my 10 yr old daughter both sat in revered silence when I played Saturday Night Wrist to them and duly converted them to the cause. The bottom line is if you like Deftones, buy this now. If you don't like them, buy it anyway and give it a listen. And even though I'm British, I didn't take offence to the insinuation that we all have bad teeth!!! "Pink Cellphone" will reveal the answer to that but that's one track that definately was not played to my daughter!
on 11 August 2012
Im a massive Deftones fan and felt that they would never top the skull crushing 'Around The Fur' or the brilliant experimentalism of 'White Pony'. Well i was wrong. 'Saturday Night Wrist' fuses the heaviness with experimental and is something special. The album carries a very strong Shoegaze/dreamy sound, the guitars creating a heavy wall of noise whilst the vocals float over the top and drums hammer away beneath. Each member is excellent.

'Hole In The Earth' starts things off with a bang and is very catchy. 'Rapture' convinced me to buy the album, its so heavy and Chino's shrieks are fantastic and 'Rats!Rats!Rats!' follows this style yet has a wonderful shoegaze style chorus. 'Kimdracula' is another cool straight up rocker. While 'Beware' floats along meanicingly, exploding in too life every now and then, the eerie 'Combat' does this too with both being excellent songs. We also have 'U,U,D....' which is an interesting instrumental

'Cherry Waves' is one of their most mellow songs and sounds so fragile yet powerful with its dreamy feel, 'Xerces' drifts along on the dreamy vibe too, both songs excellently show casing the softer side to Deftones. 'Mein' is similar, yet theres more guitars and Serj from SOAD makes a great apperance. 'Pink Cellphone' is a new step, featuring the excellent Annie Hardy and is very minimal yet dancey whilst keeping its distorted ambience. 'Riviere' closes the album brilliantly.

All i can say is Saturday Night Wrist is a very unique piece of work and another classic from a superb band.
on 30 October 2006
After being a deftones fan since the begninning i can say this album is just brilliant, i respect the fact they've always done what they want and not cared about what people will think with their music. I wouldn't want one of my favourite bands to produce the same album over and over again. This album is full of great moments - abe's tight grooves and downbeats, chino's soaring vocals to steph's trademark downtuned dark chords that hit you right in the chest. The one thing that spoils it for me is 'pink cellphone', i like the style of the track but when the women starts talking about, well you know, its just not something i want to hear to be honest. But you know what, i'm not bothered anymore because it's very rare that a bands 5th album is as good as they're previous. This is a truly wonderful album and a must have for all deftones fans.
on 5 January 2007
I got this for Christmas (my wife is ace!) and I have listened to bits of it or the whole thing everyday since!!!

This album is (in my opinion) leaps and bounds ahead of any of their other albums, that's not to say I don't like the other albums cos I do, I really do, but Saturday night wrist is so much more mature and exciting!!!

It's like they have taken the best ideas from the B-sides record (the acousticy bits mostly), listened to some Cure, My Bloody Valentine, Mew and then written an album.

My only criticism is the use of The System of a Down bloke on 'Mein', in my opinion his vocal is nowhere near as good as Chino's and maybe someone like Mike Patton would have been better...But hey, what do I know!!!

This is the first CD in a long time to make my spine tingle, nuff said!
on 22 August 2008
I heard somewhere that Josh Homme has spent his whole life trying to make metal music beautiful, and I think that's exactly what Saturday Night Wrist has here. It excels where it mixes heavy, chunky guitar with beautiful and emotive harmony. Chinos voice across this album is flawless and seems to hit every right note immediately where it should in relation to the rest of the song as a whole.

Personally this is my favourite Deftones album and I have them all and have been a fan right from the beginning. I did not think much of it in the beginning, but like all things in life, the things that grow on you are the ones you feel the deepest. It is a polished and refined sound and shows the appropriate maturity of the band.

Buy this album if you are considering it.
on 5 August 2008
I'm not usually a fan of rock music, and generally think of most bands as pumping out the generic bland American style which lacks any real depth, but Deftones are one of the exceptions. This is rock music, but far more deep and intelligent than other bands produce. Tracks like the excellent U,U,D,D,L,R,L,R,A,B,Select,Start and Riviere really show off the bands mix of styles, Riviere being almost beautiful in nature and is one of the high points of the album. Then you get tracks which are totally different like Pink Cellphone, which I have to say is totally different to everything else I've heard by Deftones and love it

Can't recommend it highly enough
on 1 March 2007
Im a pretty hardcore tones fan, and I was very impressed by this album.

When the self-titled album came out in 2004, I was a bit let down by the sparse, raw, deductive method of song writing they used, especially considering the amazing melodies and grooves that were used in the amazing subtlty of white pony. Saturday night wrist can be summed up as somewhere in between these two cds. In places its mellow, haunting, slick, and raw. A great album with lots of varied songs.
on 1 August 2014
Underrated as far as the Deftones albums go. I'd actually rate this as my joint second favourite album. With both soft and head banging tracks, this album pleases both sides of the Deftones table. Stand out tracks for me are: Beware, Combat, Kimdracula and Rivere. If you like any Deftones albums, this one is a must own for the collection.
on 17 April 2012
I loved this album I felt it was a bold step forward for Deftones introducing some new and exciting ideas to they're already stunning style. I would rate this album as one of the band's finest along with White Pony.