Customer reviews

The Innocents [1961] [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 5 April 2014
This film still "cuts the mustard" after 53 years!, it is such a pity that we don't get to see these old films on the big screen, because so much atmosphere is lost on TV screens.
The Innocents is soooooooooooo creepy!
Great story, great film.
on 18 October 2013
There are several reviews giving plot information so I won't repeat it. The Blu-ray disc has excellent picture and sound. B&W photography is beautiful and the acting is good. If you enjoy a good "Ghost Story" you will like this one.
on 3 July 2017
Bought this film because I did enjoy The Turn of the Screw, and people recommended this film. It is okay but didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Deborah Kerr seemed too wooden in it and I found her annoying.
on 21 September 2014
There is now a better version available on Blu Ray from Criterion in USA. A new transfer in 4K from the original negative with superb image quality all around.
VINE VOICEon 27 July 2010
The "Horror" film of today is a shadow of it's former self, it really is. Gone are the days when the scares were sourced from that which is suggested rather than thrown into your face; hidden from view due to the lack of grating and gaudy CGI; when dialogue was written by types such as Truman Capote rather than gormless hacks. THE INNOCENTS falls into this much-vaunted category, and quite possibly it's the best example of it's genre, at least in my mind I can't think of one film that can even come close to touching it.

The story was later stolen wholesale by Alexandre Aja for THE OTHERS in 2002, but even so if you've seen that film don't think you've seen this one by any means, not least because of the genius that was at work behind it. Miss Giddens (Deborah Kerr in quite possibly her finest performance) arrives to work as a governess for two children at an isolated English manor where things seem unsettling and stifling - Giddens comes to the conclusion that the previous governess and her lover (Peter Wyngaarde, natch) are now haunting the manor and attempting to possess the children's souls. As she herself states many a time, she "Loves children" and will do whatever she can to thwart what she sees as the ultimate violation. To give more away would be to do the film a great disservice, as watching events unfold can cause even strongest-willed of us to become gibbering wrecks. How Jack Clayton manages it is beyond me... A contemporary director would have a bogeyman of some description leap out from the shadows and slit her throat no doubt, thank God in 1961 this wasn't an option. Even if it was it would have made this film just another Hammer Horror, and Clayton took great pains to distance himself from such spills-and-chills. Instead he took Henry James's THE TURN OF THE SCREW and messed with our heads for all time, by simply stating what COULD be happening.

The film deserves to be seen with the best technology possible, and thanks to the BFI we have this new Hi-Def transfer which will no doubt be supported by many first-class extra features (They released a DVD version a few years back now, and even that was worth it's weight in Gold). Forget the latest reboot of FRIDAY THE 13TH or whatever generic slasher Hollywood sees fit to dump at our doorsteps, we as a country showed we could outsmart them in every way almost 50 years ago. The greatest tragedy is that we don't seem to be able to do it anymore.
66 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 October 2008
A very good movie,which had my hairs standing on end a few times!I bought this dvd on the strength of the reviews on amazon and elsewhere I was not disapointed.The sinister atmosphere that film has from beginning is quite remarkable as it is sustained throughout.Is this a ghost story or the story of young woman slowly mentally unraveling ? The film is abiguous on this point and leaves the final decision up to the viewer.
on 9 May 2014
I have always loved this film and I had it on video for ages and then lost it. This DVD is superb in widescreen, felt like I was in the cinema watching it. Fantastic quality picture. The bonus material is good, like the commentary on the film that picked up on things I hadn't even noticed. A thoroughly good purchase.
on 29 August 2016
Another drop-dead beautiful blu ray restoration from the BFI. I wish I was British just so that some of my taxes would go to them. The picture is crystal clear, and the fleeting images of the ghosts are spookier than ever.

The movie is much, much better than I had originally thought after seeing it in lesser prints. The ambiguity of Ms. Kerr's mental state is much stronger than I remembered, and I really started to think "there's no ghosts there - you're just crazy!".

Highly recommended. Do not buy any other edition of this classic film.

Note #1: When the movie begins, the titles, which are process shots using second and third generation film, don't look all that great. But don't worry - as soon as the regular scenes start, your jaw will drop at the clarity.

Note #2: If you're a Beatle freak, you'll recognize the housekeeper. It's Aunt Jessie from Magical Mystery Tour!
on 11 April 2014
This i an expertly shot chilling and scary film that I can't recommend enough to anyone...

I couldn't believe I had never been told about it whilst at college or uni studying film - the technical construction of this film is completely captivating!
VINE VOICEon 17 September 2010
I had hoped that the problems other reviewers have commented on would have been sorted by now, so I ordered this blu-ray disc of an excellent film. Unfortunately, the picture kept breaking up throughout the film, from the opening onwards. I am using a Philips BDP 3000 player, which has had no problems with any other blu-ray disc.

The BFI really should have withdrawn this by now, and looked into what on earth is going on, as clearly this is not just an issue with one particular player.

A great shame.
1010 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse