Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 October 2006
I had never heard of the black keys before but was in the record shop at lunch time and heard the album being played. When I heard the powerful opening riff of "Just Got To Be", I thought Paul Rodgers had brought out a new album and had brought Paul Kossoff back from the grave to play guitar, it sounded so like that raw feeling that early Free had (and I'm still convinced that Rodgers is the vocalist on "Just a Little Heat"). When "Your Touch" started I rushed up to the counter and asked what was playing and asked for a copy right away. I stayed on a bit longer and nearly ran out of time to buy my lunch I enjoyed it so much.

That night I couldn't wait to get home and play the CD which I have now played constantly for 2 weeks and it still sounds as fresh as when I first heard it.

The music is raw throughout with Dan's vocals emulating some of the great blues/rock singers of the past 40 years and his guitar playing dispelling the myth that Jimmy Page had came up with all the great guitar riffs. He is ably backed by Patrick Carney whose drumming reminds me of early John Bonham.

I can't recommend this album highly enough, it's a breath of fresh air amongst the usual throwaway Brit/Indie stuff that the record shops are full of.

Buy, Listen & Enjoy
on 31 May 2017
Quick, reliable and absolutely scratchless! First cd of Amazon in a while that didn't come with broken jewel case! Highly recommended.
CD very good, much better than expected when I read the reviews from the days it came out.
on 13 September 2006
Great new album from the Black Keys. If anything it's slightly more rocking than the previous releases, but the overall sound and production is no different to the big come up.

I've seen a few media reviews suggesting that the BK are just repeating themselves. We'll I for one could take a few more releases in this style. Recommended.
on 16 September 2006
To put it simply, this is a cracker. After getting into the Keys with the excellent Rubber Factory, being immediately compelled to go and grab their first two albums and also after being blown away by their take on some of Junior Kimbrough's songs on Chulahoma, I didn't think things could get much better. But with this Dan and Patrick have raised the bar once again. It is more of the same raw bluesy rock but yet somehow delivered with even more passion and confidence.
As ever Dan's guitar playing and singing is top notch and Patrick's drumming is the perfect foil. There are raw and heavy, short and sweet numbers like 'Your Touch', and there are also mellow moments of gorgeousness like 'You're The One'.
I really cannot recommend this album, or anything the Black Keys have ever done, enough. They also happen to be the finest live band around at the moment.
on 5 July 2014
ok !!!!!!!!!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 19 August 2015
This was the first Black Keys I'd heard (thanks, Micah) and it still sounds like one of the best contemporary blues-rock records, if not up there with the finest blues albums of the last fifty years. I'll go further: the best of its kind I've heard since the days of Free over forty years ago. There can be no higher praise.
Dan Auerbach, who sounds like a cross between Paul Rodgers and a latterday Howlin' Wolf - yes, he's that good - sings like the devil on these dirty, downhome tracks, with Patrick Carney a stunning, supportive and inventive drummer. Auerbach also plays a very mean guitar. Try track 5: Give Your Heart Away, or track 7: Modern Times, for a hellraising example of what these two can do all on their own.
It was recorded in the basement of Carney's home in Akron, Ohio. All I can say is, more albums ought to be recorded in cellars, lofts, alleyways and kitchens if this kind of grit is the result.
I love the Black Keys, they have enriched my life, and I only wish I'd heard them sooner.
This 2006 effort follows the equally superb, equally essential Rubber Factory. It's full of great things, nutritious in a way so few bands manage to be these days - let alone duos.

The dog's b------s!
on 14 September 2006
quite an immpressive duo! id never actually heard of them until yesterday! i was investigating a band called the black angels and i stumbled across the black keys, which i found out were quite the established band in the us! and very tallented blues musicians, so i checked them out in the shop and after hearing dans voice and just the beggining of two songs i knew i was going to love this band! got home and its a great record! i think everyone should buy this album and we really need their influence over here in the uk, and progress from all this indie crap! dsrfvve
on 12 July 2015
This was the third Black Keys album I have purchased after 'Thickfreakness' and 'Rubber Factory' and while its a little less bluesy than
the previous efforts this album gives a more rockier and harmonic effort to their playing.

The growl of the hard guitar on "Your Touch" and "Just a little heat" and spine tinging riff on "Black Door" make this the best album yet by the Detroit duo. You can see the producer slightly changing the way the blues duo are becoming more mainstream on this album but its a powerful effort that is still one of my favourite all time albums.
on 11 December 2011
Much has been written about the many varied influences and references to be found in this band's work, which is a credit to the duo's mastery when it comes down to delivering the basic ingredients and offering them up as sufficient unto themselves. And they're good at it- very good at it, with this being one very fine album indeed. If you want to know where the spirit of this particular collection comes from, try listening to the first 3 albums by Free before you listen to this. That should get you primed for the treats on offer here, for while Patrick Carney's drums emulate the rock solid angular funk of Free's Simon Kirke, Dan Auerbach appears to be channelling the vocal stylings of Free's Paul Rodgers (especially obvious on the more restrained tracks such as 'Goodbye Babylon') so effectively that when I first heard this record I thought it was by Paul Rodgers! Not only that, but his guitar work carries more than a few hints of Paul Kossoff, particularly in the riff work and his choice of tones. Once again, check out 'Goodbye Babylon' for what I nominate as the best tribute to Free I've ever heard. Keep carrying this torch guys, it suits you!!
on 6 September 2014
This album by "The Black Keys " shows the rawness and showcases the " no frills " attitude of this amazing band. They're musical influence on bands is unmistakable ,songs like "Your Touch " not a long song but powerfully delivered and catchy,not a bad track on here,A must for blues rock/black keys fans if you don't have it yet in your collection.