on 15 July 2017
I love these paints! they're so bright! They were tinier than I expected but the quality is so great that I was not bothered. I use them so much now, I'm already running out haha. They're so easy for me to carry around to university or to the park, anywhere. This set has all the basic colours you need. Though I was a bit disappointed that there was only 1 red, and it wasn't very opaque, so it ran out way before any of my other colours as I had to use so much of it. I'm thinking I may get a bigger set with more colours my next purchase. But I do recommend starting with this size if you want to just try out the paints first.
review imagereview image
on 29 September 2017
Ordered the 12 half pans to use when I am on holiday/ on the move. I read reviews that it was compact but I had no idea just how small it was (pleasantly surprised)– it is the same size as my iPhone 6 (pictured for your reference). The palette doesn't come with black, which is a bit strange but not a deal breaker for a beginner like me. It also comes with a small brush which is useful.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on 5 June 2017
A cracking little set of half pan colours.
Bought for someone with failing memory so mixing of coulours was to a large extent eliminated.
Contrart to some comments I found everything to be of good even high quality.
As stated in the Q&A section the set includes Lemon Yellow, Cad Yellow, Cad Yellow Hue, Cad Orange Hue, Cad Red Pale Hue, Cad Red Deep Hue. Alizarin Crimson Hue, Purple Lake, Ultramarine, Colbolt Blue Hue, Cerulean Blue Hue, Intense Blue (Phthalo Blue), Veridian Hue, Emerald, Hookers Green Dark, Sap Green, Yellow Ochre, Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna, Indian Red, Burnt Umber, Payne's Gray, Lamp Black, Chinese White.
I would have no trouble recommending this.
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 30 December 2017
Thrilled to bits with this new set, which contains more colours than my old Daler Rowney set. The pigments are strong and vivid and its easy to produce some very pleasing washes. My personal preference is this set over my old one. If you are new to art, the Cotman range is well known for being affordable and of decent quality - You won't go wrong purchasing this set.

Note, this is advertised as coming with 45 colours. I received 40 different colours, with 5 extra doubles. This is plenty. The case will hold 45 colours though, in removable plastic pans. Each pan has the colour name and code printed on the side so you can buy whichever colour runs out and add it back into this set when you need to.

I checked everything off and the doubles I received are:
Chinese white, Ivory Black, Yellow Ochre, Alizarin Crimson Hue (nice!), and Ultramarine (perfect).
The Aliz crim and Ultramarine are great to have as extras and are both very nice pigments!

The set opens up like a clamshell, with 4 very large mixing pans above the paints (for large washes, skies etc)
And an inner tray folds outwards towards you, below the paints, containing an additional 8 mixing trays.
So you'll have 12 mixing trays in total if this is all you take with you.

The inner/lower tray is removable (on hinges) so you can open up the set, unhinge the lower tray and set it to one side wherever is convenient for painting.

Each paint comes wrapped and is well labelled. It took me half an hour to unwrap them all and check them off on the included colour chart list, which shows what the colours look like when laid down on light paper. Its handy that the plastic pans are labelled, too.

No brush included but there is space for one (or two) within the set, if you don't already have lots of your own.
Love this set. Very happy with it.

The only thing you need is a decent set of brushes and some quality paper. If you're new to watercolours, try 250 or 300 gsm as a minimum. The higher the number, the thicker and heavier (and usually more textured) your paper will usually be.

If it helps anyone, the full list of colours is:
Lemon yellow hue (gorgeous)
Cadmium yellow pale hue
Gamboge hue (also yellow)
Cadmium yellow hue
Cadmium orange hue
Cadmium pale red hue
Cadmium red hue
Cadmium red deep hue
ALIZARIN CRIMSON HUE (two of these. Its nice!)
Permanent rose
Rose madder hue
Purple lake
Dioxazine purple (also known as violet. A rich and strong purple)
ULTRAMARINE (two of these, stunning colour!)
Cobalt blue hue
Cerulean blue hue (beautiful lighter but strong/intense blue)
Intense Blue (Phtalo blue, its deep, very nice)
Prussian blue
Intense green (Phtalo green, really vivid)
Viridian hue
Emerald (nice and clean emerald green)
Hookers green (darker)
Hookers green (a lighter version)
Raw sienna
YELLOW OCHRE (two of these as well)
Raw umber
Burnt sienna (no set complete without those last two)
Light red
Indian red
Burnt umber (hooray)
Vandyke Brown (dark and rich)
Sepia (more brown than orange)
Payne grey
GOOD OLD IVORY BLACK (two of these, yay!)
Lamp black
CHINESE WHITE (and two of these as well)

The lid snaps shut VERY firmly, which is great for travel.
on 16 March 2017
Purchased this as a Christmas present in December and it was well received. I decided to buy my own set as I wish to try water colour painting after a gap of some years. Good price. Happy to recommend for beginner/returner!

(There is a small brush in the set but you would probably want to provide your own set of brushes).
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 November 2017
Brilliant set of half pans. I've got larger w&n sets but wanted something that would go into a pocket with my moleskine watercolour pad. There's no black but you have 3 or 4 colours in the set that will produce a nice dark. The brush is surprisingly effective and covers larger areas quickly and is small enough for detail. I miss prussian blue so another colour may have to be sacrificed.

The case is a fairly sturdy plastic affair. There's a bit of rattle when it's in your pocket but a 2mm square of blutack holds the pans and the brush in its place. A good blob of blutack doubles as a kneadable eraser too.

This kit, a small pad and pencil and you have a brilliant pocket field kit.
on 25 October 2016
I bought these for a painting holiday - I have never before used solid watercolours - only tubes and inks. It's been an adventure! This set is quite large and although it's nice to have the variety - in hindsight I could have done with a slightly smaller set - there is almost too much choice!!

I like the fold out mixing palettes. And the value on Amazon is amazing. However ther are two small things to bear in mind which let this set down.

1. The pans fall about if the set is placed in a bag or not keeps perfectly horizontal. I may have to put some blue tack underneath them. Also If you remove The front mixing palette to make it easier to paint with and do not fix this back on before transporting - then they move about even more!

2. It's not easy to see the colours. I would suggest doing a chart after you've fixed the pans in place.

I liked that there were spaces for extra pans - and the repeated colours made room for a few more too.
on 2 March 2017
Colours are strong, rich and bold. Good quality plastic box. Perfect portable size. I will be buying the larger set too, so that I can mix and match more colours.
on 4 October 2016
The paints are good quality, with lovely colours and a good selection. The brush, as expected, is pretty useless - but it's a nice addition nonetheless. The reason these haven't got 5 stars is because the case is really hard to open, and the pans tend to wobble about a bit because of the design. It's not a major problem, but it's a little irritating.
One thing that's worth pointing out is that this set is no good for use on a table - it's clearly designed to be held (which is ideal for a travel set). The blue rubbery hinge can be pulled back so that your thumb can be inserted, which makes it easy and comfortable to hold. The first removable palette can be attached to the side of the set, and the second palette can be removed (but would need to be placed down somewhere). If you remove both palettes, you can use the storage area for further mixing, giving you a fairly reasonable space (although you're not going to get a lot of water on there because the palettes are quite shallow).
I bought this set for travel, and it's pretty perfect for that. If you're looking for a small set to use at a desk or table, I'd go for the sketchers pocket box (which my wife uses) - it's slightly smaller, and has less mixing space, but can be laid flat.
on 27 May 2017
Amazing watercolours. I purchased the 45 set. A few common colours are repeated (I will post which ones if anyone asks) meaning that you won't run out of commonly used colours. They work very well, and there is a wide range of different hues. Wonderful purchase, and much cheaper here than in any arts or crafts stores I have come across.