on 30 June 2017
Good quality strings at a reasonable price. I typically use these on smaller parlour guitars and find them light enough to avoid too much stress. I know you can pay £10 - £15 for a set of 'super quality' strings, but to get three sets of these Martin's instead means you can get a good quality sound and change more often, without breaking the bank.My favourite for small parlour, finger picking. If you're a heavy strummer on a full size dreadnought, I would go for slightly heavier strings - I typically go with the Gibson premium lights on such guitars. But you can't really go wrong with these, and you'll still only be able to play as well as you did before, so if you were good, you'll be able to hear how good you are, if you aren't so good...well....
VINE VOICEon 21 July 2014
These strings are fine and nicely cheap if you are starting out and not likely to play for a long time at any one sitting. However, their limitations are obvious when you play them non-stop for two + hours. The first time I took them out for real workout I was dismayed to feel the high E and B strings in particular virtually corroding as I played. Even with liberal wiping they became almost unplayable. Unfortunately I think "You get what you pay for" applies here.Having said that, the tone when they first go on is lovely and, as I say, if you are just starting out and likely only to play for 10 - 30 minutes at a time and if you are on a budget then these could work for you.
As for me, I am going to use up my stock and look for some with a little more longevity.
on 14 May 2017
Cannot fault this pack of three (!) strings at all. As someone who collects older and sometimes vintage guitars on a sporadic basis one usually has to change the strings (after a good vacuum out and a polish). These are just the ticket and real value for money in my opinion. Moreover, this supplier (Northwest Guitars) provided a tip top service.
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 October 2017
I've used Martin Phosphor Bronze strings for years and never had a problem. I tried these due to their cheap price as an 'add on' item. These 80/20 strings feel stiff under my fingers and don't produce the vibrancy of Martin Phosphor Bronze. (Strung on my Martin acoustic guitar) These are not 'Cheap & Nasty' strings but are inferior compared to what I'm used to. For that price, I even question the authenticity of the item or maybe you just get what you pay for.
on 29 May 2017
I didn't expect them to sound so steely but it's an interesting sound to play with. They sound very full and responsive.
on 22 September 2017
I won’t use any others, I have used these for many years. Martin’s consistent high quality shines through. I use them on my 1970’s Yamaha acoustic which I think sounds better than it’s Martin contemporary.
Just restrung my recently purchased Epiphone Hummingbird Pro for the first time and it has come alive, a whole new fuller sound.
on 4 January 2012
I have had an acoustic guitar for about 3 years, and in that time had never changed the strings, I am very much more interested by electric guitars. However, I've decided to "get into" acoustic more, and my first job was to replace the horrid stock strings on my acoustic. I decided to buy these strings, and after restringing my acoustic with them, I must say the difference is huge. It really feels like a different guitar, these strings are very very good. The tone I get out of them is fantatsic, and they feel very good to play with. Highly reccommended (despite my lack of experience with acoustic strings!!)
on 15 May 2014
Arrived in pristine condition, very good strings with clear, loud sound. Easy to open and easy to play. Arrived well packaged and in pairs, easy to separate and apply without getting confused as to which string belongs to which place on the instrument.
on 11 February 2017
Fantastic quality. I have an ovation guitar and putting these strings on have changed the sounds and are actually more comfortable to play. They produce rich warm tones and stay in tune longer. I used light gauge strings before which I thought were good before I tried using these martins.
on 18 March 2017
A real bargain at this price point. The strings sound light and colourful and haven't lost too much vibrancy after a couple of months use