on 22 July 2017
This looks nice, but on closer inspection, the quality is disappointing. The timber is very rough cut, including sections of the bench, so great for splinter fans. The construction looks somehow rushed and amateur - the lattice sides are held together by staples, some of which missed their target, so you have sharp metal bits sticking out which need to be fixed. Other parts which were already screwed together had split the wood. I painted it prior to assembly, and should have sanded down all the rough wood then, but didn't as I was keen to get on. If I had purchased, say, a bench from B&Q I wouldn't have expected this poor finish. For the price charged I expected something a little better prepared. Also some simple assistance with pre-drilled holes would greatly assist construction - the most difficult bit is fixing the back board to the two side pieces. If you had pre-drilled holes to guide you where to fix the brackets, it would be a great help. The only pre-drilled holes are in the diamond-shaped wood that attaches to the roof ! And as for the carrier - Arrow XL - don't get me started ! 'Arrow XL, a two-man delivery company' as their phone message says. Well, they need to employ more than two people ! The first scheduled delivery failed to materialise, they were uncontactable and did not contact me, and the on-line chat dropped me when I started typing. Well, it was the time of the first Lions test match, so they were all probably watching that. Eventually found an operator who admitted my goods had been lost in the warehouse. Delivery was performed by a sub-contractor who had to unload a heavy, wooden arbour packed onto a pallet without the right tools. So overall it looks good, but it's not great quality. Sorry.
on 1 April 2014
Arrived in record time with a company called Arrow who phoned the day before and arranged a time for delivery. Packaging was excellent also.

Unfortunately that’s as far as the positives go. Before I start I should say I am quite handy with tools and carpentry!

The instructions are poor and difficult to follow. The method of construction the bench leaves some very heavy parts effectively hanging from 2 screws - AT LEAST 3 people are needed to construct. Some screw holes are suggested to be pre-drilled but some are not. If you don’t pre drill all holes then the wood splits, (which I found out the hard way very quickly). The locations given for the screws are poor and often lead to the screws protruding the wood, especially in recesses in the legs and when fixing the roof completely ruining the aesthetics of the bench.

The roof is also extremely difficult to fix in place with the slats coming separate to the curved runners they sit in. It is both near impossible to line them up effectively and also the runners so wide that when the screws are driven in through the top of the slats, (which again splits the wood), they have nothing to drive into after going through the slats meaning it is difficult to pull them up into place with the screw and also that the screws are again on show 'inside'. When the rood is fitted to the top of the frame it sits on 4 notches and then has 4 small brackets to attach with screws to hold in place, however once again these brackets are poorly positioned and the screws end up driving in to virtually nothing.

The seat is difficult to fit as you are instructed to put it in after you have screwed the 2 sides on meaning you have to 'bend' the 2 heavy sides out on their 2 screws. There is also a level of guesswork as to where to fix with screws from the outside.

When fully constructed it is nowhere near as stable as it should be.

Overall I am very dissatisfied with the product and would not recommend.
22 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 June 2016
We love our arbour. It is just what we wanted. Although it did take us approximately 5 hours to put together, mostly because the instructions could have been better, we made a couple of mistakes and had to undo things and redo them, but on the whole, it wasn't too bad. So some advice, when fixing the back to the sides, attach the bottom brackets to the back before doing the top ones, as then it is much easier to be able to fix them to the sides. Also, make sure the slats face the correct way, when building the roof.

One slight issue we have just noticed today, is that some of the screws that were already in place in the sides, have already started going rusty (only had it a week), so my husband is going to take them out and put some in that will not rust.

We are planning to buy a cushion for it, as the seat is fine for perching on, but not too comfy for extended sitting.

Delivery was early, and the arbour was extremely well-packed.

On the whole, we love our arbour.
on 2 May 2016
Fantastic looking and makes my garden. Was looking for ages and when I saw this dithered a while as I don't usually buy things this big on line. Good quality very heavy. Would say needed two men (it does say 2 person) I helped my husband and although am strong would not like to do it again. Very very pleased with the result. Doesn't take long to put together and Looks wonderful.
on 31 March 2016
Lovely Arbour, read reviews and decided to get someone to built it up for me, they had no problems whatsoever. Absolutely delighted and well worth the money as it is of good quality.
on 28 May 2015
Is as in picture and easy to construct. The instructions were actually followable which is unusual for many things these days .Was short of 6 screws so had to grub about in bottom of my tool box to find ones of suitable size.
on 5 June 2015
This looks really good, once you realised some of the wood was for transportation and needed removing for the seat to fit.
So much cheaper than garden centres
Received within two days of ordering.
on 15 April 2015
The arbour arrived well packed and in good condition.
Assembly was easy and it looks great,very sturdy and well made.
All that is left to do is prepare and paint
I would recommend this arbour.
on 27 October 2014
Arrived in good time, well made and would recommend this arbour.
on 27 September 2014
lovely piece to have in the garden ,,, made very well,,,