on 1 February 2007
I ordered the Canon iP5300 from Canada (I live in the U.S.), and I've had the Canon iP5300 for a week now. I've done side-by-side comparisons with the Canon iP6700D, and this is what I've found: I'm keeping the 5300. Its text is laser quality, it's fast, and the photo quality is super! Text prints out a little lighter than with the 6700. I'm very happy with it!

The 6700's text is acceptable in "best" quality. In standard it's really bad. It's slower than the 5300, but the photo quality is very good. In side-by-side photo comparisons, the 5300 is just a bit sharper. Both are quite good.

So, based on the great text quality and the sharpness of the photos, I'm a very happy camper!

Regards, Dee
on 14 July 2007
I looked at a few printers earlier in the year, models as good as this one were well over £120. I had to have one.

I got this to replace an old Canon i320 WOW! what a difference great print quality and speed. This printer is also realy quiet in operation compaired to previous printers I have owned, even without selecting the silent mode.

Dead easy to set up (If you follow the instructions ;-) I tried to skip a step, and had to re-do the print head alignment) otherwise no problems on XP & XPpro (SP2)

The usual Canon driver options allow for a good deal of tweeking if you feel the need (personaly I haven't yet). Using the supplied Canon (Very basic) print software produces very good everyday prints from my D100 with just a few clicks, better results are available with with a better featured (proper) photo package.

Added bonus it works with the latest Belkin SOHO Wireless G All-In-One USB print server.
on 26 December 2006
I was all set on the IP5200 (gets very good reviews) until I found the IP5300. I wasn't able to find any usefull reviews on the IP5300, but Canon assured me the only changes were fasting print speeds, and better ink economy.

My other printer was a freebe that came with my last PC - so is very old and ink hungry. Boy are modern printers so much better. It is fast, quiet, very good quality and seems good with ink so far. Photos are just as good as the Photobox prints I have had done, and printing on CD's is really cool. When I give CD's to friends they look really personal now :)

Best results come with Canon ink, and PR101 'Pro' Paper (My Memory sells this on ebay for a great price).

Very happy with my purchase, Canon Pixma printers seem to be hard to beat. Buy it now, you won't regret it!!!
on 26 June 2007
I've used a bunch of printers in my time but this one is definately the best.

The quality of photo this produces is better than I've seen from a regular APS 25 exposure film. Admittedly I have a Canon EOS SLR 400D (10.1MP), but even my girlfriends 3.2MP Olympus gets printed at fantastic quality.

Not only that. It has a little tray that you put a printable DVD/CD on and prints directly to the disc. Man, I love this feature. The results are practically professional. Worth the money alone :)

At 100 quid it's a bargain.
22 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2007
Bought this printer to replace my Canon i865, an excellent machine in every respect. The reason being to update with the longer life and anti fade properties of Canons 8 series inks, I also thought that the smaller dot size and faster print speeds would be worth having.

Well what a let down the ip5300 is poor in comparison, the print quality on Auto for colour and black and white is no match for the i865 on the same Auto settings. Magenta bleeds into dark shadows and the prints are far too light.Greyscale or black and white is inferior to the i865 and with a cast. Black becomes Navy with a touch of Magenta and Grey becomes bluish, Canon paper used. Side by side the i865 wins easily every time.

If you want to spend a fortune on paper and ink trying to correct your prints by going into the Manual settings then this is the printer for you.

Canon had an excellent set up with the i865 why they did not repeat this with ip5300 is a mystery.
on 17 September 2009
Excellent product... I have the IP4200 as well and I keep the 5300 strictly for photo's with original inks so the results are superb
on 20 July 2007
The one star I give this printer is not for its performance, but simply for the fact that Canon do not include a USB cable in the box. So, you buy a printer for £88, unpack it and realise that you can't actually set it up and use it because the USB cable, which is the printer's connection to your computer is not included! Thumbs down to Canon!!!!! Should you opt for this otherwise excellent printer, please do not forget to buy a USB cable separately...