Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 March 2013
Just drift away on Loreena McKennitt's dreamy music; imagine you are camped at an oasis, part of a mystical, mysterious caravanserai.
on 21 September 2007
I'd been looking and hoping for a new Loreena McKennitt CD for years. I'd given up hope. Stopped looking...

Then -- there in The Lyric (the Baltimore opera house) -- Loreena McKennitt on tour! First I bought the tickets. Then I bought AN ANCIENT MUSE.

Having moved on from my "new age" phase of some years back my head's been in different musical spaces: serious/wondrous jazz, guitar virtuosos, classical music... So when MUSE arrived... I was in the wrong "gear"...

But with a concert fast approaching I had to find the set list, compile my own iTunes version of the concert, "get ready." And what a world Loreena McKennitt weaves! Ahh... I'd forgotten...

MUSE has been on repeat all afternoon as I worked and thought about what to say. (Ahh... I'd forgotten...)

Once you're in the right musical head space -- world music not jazz, poems set to music not motif development upon development, etc. -- Loreena McKennitt stirs the heart like few others. For me it's her voice, the courage to set long poems to music, the richness of the instrumental sounds... and did I mention her voice?

Having devoured her earlier CDs -- I've got them all! -- I feel confident when I say AN ANCIENT MUSE is right up there with the best of them!

Enjoy... and feast your ears!

Dr. Kirtland C Peterson
on 13 March 2013
This is a fantastic C.D she is such a gifted singer/songwriter.I have bought this as a gift ,as my daughter did for me.
on 3 December 2015
Another gem from Loreena, contains some of, in my opinion, the best tracks Loreena has produced to date.
on 1 April 2016
One of the best albums to date after The Mask & the Mirror and Live at the Alhambra.
on 3 August 2016
If you like The Book of Secrets, You'll love this.
on 1 April 2015
Enchanting North African/ Arabian/ Greek tunes.
on 30 March 2016