on 29 August 2007
Although they were a band put together in the 60s to challenge amongst others The Beatles, Messrs Jones, Tork, Nesmith and Dolenz fire it up pretty well. My favourite song on this album is Randy Scouse Git, which is not at all what you think it's going to be like and is an unusual title for such a meaningful song.

The four men were lovable and talented comedians and I watched their show every Saturday morning in the 70s and I know all the songs, I am proud to say. This is fantastic, poppy, witty music that sits somewhere between The Kinks, The Animals, The Zombies and (dare I say it) the Fab Four.

They're just too busy singing to put anybody down.
on 26 March 2008
The Monkees were two folk singers and two actors pulled together to from a Beatles-lite pop group for mop top hungry American teenagers. Whilst the real fab four were dabbling with drugs, facial hair and musical experimentation, the Monkees offered easy on the ear tunes and whacky 'comedy'. They were derided at the time by serious muscians and the critics ripped into them on a weekly basis.
But time has been kind to the bands musical legacy and, with song writers such as Carole King and Neil Diamond on board, the Monkees are now seen as pioneers. The original manufactured boy band but with added great songs.
'I'm A Believer', 'Pleasant Valley Sunday', 'Last Train to Clarkesville' and the perenial 'Daydream Believer' have stood the test of time extremely well. Mike Nesmith's interpretation of Micheal Murphy's 'What Am I Doing Hanging Round' and his own 'Listen To the Band' highlight an emerging songwriter and performer of some style, whilst Mickey Dolenz 'Randy Scouse Git' was a self penned UK number 2 single.
Ok, so overall the TV shows were pretty poor, but the music is extremely well crafted and beautifully realised. On the 1967 'Headquarters' album the Monkees even pulled off a minor classic - mostly self played - that topped the UK and US charts. They experimented on the Jack Nicholson scripted 'Head' - now considered a 'cult classic' before Tork jumped ship soon to be followed by Nesmith.
It was all but over by 1969, as the public moved towards the adult rock sound of late period Beatles and the likes of Led Zepplin and the reborn WHO.
Every self respecting power pop fan should own a Monkees greatest hits. Simple.

cw
on 19 March 2013
I have loved the monkeys since I seen them on the reruns on tv in the 70's. Have been meaning to buy their cd for a long time but didn't want to buy one with a few hits and then lots of unknown songs. This cd fits the bill perfectly, it has all the favourites and a few lesser known ones. Would totally recommend this cd, I've played it so much in the car that my son is getting sick of it, but I never will. To his totally embarrassment I played it while he had a friend in the car and to his surprise his friend loved it and even recongized some of the songs; I think I have found a new fan. yay!
on 1 August 2011
All the favourites are on this album, including some I had not heard before. Takes me back to when I used to watch 'The Monkees' tv series as a child, and the best part for me was when the group sang at the end. Ah.......................
on 18 April 2012
A GOOD AMERICAN POP GROUP I GREW FOND OF IN THE SIXTIES AND I STILL ENJOY THEIR MUSIC TODAY. ALL OF THEIR SONGS ARE VERY GOOD VALUE AND GREAT TO LISTEN TO. I LIKED I'M A BELIEVER, MONKEES THEME, LAST TRAIN TO CLARKESVILLE AND ALL THE REST ARE MOST ENJOYABLE.
on 7 September 2013
Bought this for a good all-round Monkees CD and it is just that. There are a couple of favourites missing so I might be tempted to go for the Monkee Mania CD at some point too, but this is a great introduction.
on 5 July 2013
This CD has all the greats on it. Including a couple of lesser know songs. Despite this band been unable to play, the musicians who played on the recordings were very competant
on 6 September 2013
Not the best recording - I lost my old copy in the USA and throught i'd replace it - but this recording is badly made - I wouldn't recommend it too much i'm afradid
on 3 July 2016
what can I say! I cant complain about anything, cost or delivery and we all had a great time singing along with the band.
on 27 September 2013
if you like the music from the sixties,you are sure going to like this album.from Americas answer to the beatles.