Customer reviews

Organ Spectacular from St Paul's Cathedral
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 March 2017
I was looking for a collection of organ pieces as a broad introduction to the instrument.
This fitted the bill. Some pieces are bit obscure - not always such a bad thing to move outside one's comfort zone.
on 29 September 2017
Great inclusion at the wedding
on 6 April 2017
It was for a present and he was very pleased with it
on 7 June 2009
So many organ CDs with the title "Spectacular" fail in some way to live up to the title. Not so this one. A difficult organ to record successfully, the Grand Organ of St Paul's is marvellously captured here with a real sense of space. Huw Williams' playing makes the most of this marvellously versatile instrument and the spine-tingling acoustic of the Cathedral. The choice of repertoire is interesting and adventurous and Williams sounds as if he is enjoying himself: of particular note are the Howells' Master Tallis's Testament and the Bovet 'Hamburg' prelude. Yes the music is spectacular, no it is not hackneyed. If you are thinking of buying this CD, the chances are you already have some organ recordings: this compilation has enough that is unusual to interest you that probably doesn't feature on other collections. On the other hand, if you are buying your first organ compilation, this is the one for you, with its excitingly varied repertoire, superb playing and fantastic instrument.
on 30 April 2010
As a newbie buying his first Organ music CD (after getting hooked on Radio 2's 'The organist entertains' whilst working late shifts!), i was very impressed. I never knew the variety of music that is able to be played on a church organ, from spine tingling 'belters' like Widor's and Dubois toccata to ever so soft and melodic pieces like Thalben Balls Elegy and the sublime like Guilmant's Interlude (one of my favourites at only 1:52 in length)and Bovet's Hamburg.
This is a great album, spoilt a little quite a lot of hiss on the recording (but that could be due to the immense size of St Pauls. i'm not sure), but still worth every penny. Buy it! It's already on my MP3 Player...
on 18 July 2017
Superb playing of great organ pieces.
on 20 May 2007
Wow, what a disc! This CD is billed as the last recording of the St Pauls organ before restoration but it sounds anything but. The organ sounds superb and the performer, Huw Williams, delivers all the pieces with aplomb and really brings out both the power and the subtlety of the St Pauls organ. The choice of works is excellently varied and the recording quality superb. Highlights include the festive Dubois Toccata, Guy Bovet's pulsating prelude 'Hamburg' and the haunting 'Master Tallis's Testament' (Howells.) In short, a must-have for all pipe organ fans!
on 9 January 2017
I don't know anything about this music, I bought it for Widor's Toccata, the only thing I know. The other reason is to locate some organ for a recording project involving (the usual) mad, mocking laughter over big organ music, that sort of "Vincent Price" thing. Sorry for everything but yeah, job done!

I've listened a few times now, all this is new to me but it's spectacular all right. The pieces are rich, there's a great deal more "light and shade" than I expected and it sounds as though Mr Williams was thoroughly enjoying playing these pieces.

I've had this a little while now. I find that I listen to it often, I know the Trumpet Voluntary and the Purcell piece (which is really written by someone else, I think) and I find some pieces where someone is "mucking about" with bits of Beethoven and what-have-you. The rest is new and it's delightful stuff, loud, rousing and ripping or much softer, works always. I'm very glad I bought this.

For me, it's history and it's bizarre. These complicated and difficult to construct-and-maintain instruments were (and are) found in churches, grandiose buildings located often enough amongst a few "hovels", more or less. Who hasn't seen a village dominated by a vast and ornate church? Maybe today's equivalent is the "business park" populated by Apple corps etc with bathrooms that are a whole lot more ornate and "swish" than anything the employees have at home. Church or business, it's a nickels-and-dimes money game, no? Make up your own mind, we can't turn back the clock. I prefer this music to what all these businesses are giving me, thanks.
on 17 July 2010
Get out your seatbelt-St Paul's organ unleashed is a real stunner!Add to that fabulous playing and a really varied programme and you have a disc to annoy the neighbours bigtime.It also preserves the organ before it's last rebuild in 2009.
on 22 April 2011
I heard Widor's toccata on my car radio first of all ( I had heard the music before, but didn't know the title ). I then tracked it down on the Amazon website and ordered it; couldn't wait for this cd to arrive. It came in the post very quickly and I lost no time in playing it on my computer so I now do my emails etc. to the sound of this glorious music through my headphones.
Is there a more powerful pipe organ than this one? if so I'd like to hear it because this is divine and Huw Williams plays all the tracks faultlessly, you can hear every note