Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

on 29 October 2013
I enjoyed this movie and have actually watched it a couple of times since owning the DVD. It has a good story line which keeps you engaged and it's definitely scary! Lot's of suspense and parts that will make you jump. I haven't seen all of the original Japanese version but this seems like a good re-make to me.
on 18 February 2014
my title says it all,not sure what it is,acting,camera work etc but what ever they've done,this version I find scarier than the Japanese version,I think it's down to the editing,as the 'shocks' do come at you unannounced,which as a horror fan is exactly what you want.
on 17 January 2012
After watching the original Japanese version, I instantly wanted to see the American remake. I don't get scared by horror films, so i predicted it to be ok. But it was actually ok. There are some cheap jump scares, and some genuinely scary parts. Like the part where the the social worker enters the loft at the begging. I won't spoil it for you. I just wish there were those full on scares that scare you at night.
Overall, I would give it four stars. I might consider the sequel, but then again, most sequels are disappointing.
on 31 October 2011
I watched this with my mate,we spent the whole movie terrified !the ghost was hideous ! what made this so genuinley scary was that you only caught glimpses of the ghost and that terrible noise it made, then when it came down the stairs it made my blood run cold! truly a master piece of horror !
on 20 March 2011
I first watched this on my own in the dark on a large screen television and I was scared!!! What a great film, good classic horror that is not really gore, just suspense but done well!!!
on 11 June 2013
scary creepy and stays with you for hours after watching this not as good as the Japanese one but still good
on 4 August 2014
Seems to be scarier than the original release. Good film.
on 1 September 2016
I just love scary movies and this one is no exception.
on 14 August 2009
Having had my fill of carbon copy Japanese supernatural flicks I never bothered with "Ju-on", so I thought that the American version would be a nice compromise to make for a fresher viewing.
And I have to say I was impressed. Geller does a fine job and the 'foreigner abroad' angle adds a new spin.

Some good 'cheap' jump scares combine with good genuine scares and the film is packed with creepy, grotesque sights and has a nice unrelenting pace as it keeps the shocks coming thick and fast and the final 3rd really delivers the brutal and grotesque goodies...but it still managed to add character and suspense.
Very good indeed overall.

BUT...What a travesty that Sam 'I have now become a corporate suit' Raimi allowed this to be cut down to get a PG-13!
If even contemplating the "Evil Dead" to be re-made was not proof enough, this should be!
Checking on the IMDB at what was removed for the theatrical release and it's pretty easy to see that much of the film's well crafted shock power was simply thrown away!
Don't even bother going near the theatrical cut...get this version instead and you will enjoy the ride a lot more. Especially the far more disturbing finale/flashback to the family killings.