Format: Audio CD|Change

OK, OK, I admit it. Yes, yes, I'm a Parrothead. I first got into Jimmy's music in the early- to mid-'70s with his 3 Dunhill LPs which contained many of his best (and best-known) songs. 'Margaritaville' came along a bit later. With 2004's 'License To Chill' and now this one, I reckon the old pirate is back to his very best. The irony, juvenile humour, daft punning, charm and grace are all here aplenty. The musicianship and overall sound are absolutely wonderful, and the old boy is in great voice (must be the medicinals). 'Bama Breeze' sounds like the kind of happening place that secretly lots of us would like to haunt; and, if oblivion calls, then the 'Party At The End Of The World' would be the way to go. I loved Jimmy's wistful, weary reading of Mark Knopfler's 'Whoop De Doo', 'Reggabilly Hill' and the touching 'Hula Girl At Heart', but really all 14 tracks are very entertaining. The title track is the old Crowded House hit, not straying far from the original, but given a nice reading here. Parrotheads will love this, but the album should have much wider appeal.
on 27 May 2010
As a Parrothead of many years standing it was compulsory for me to buy this album. That's no problem, I love most of my Buffett albums. I find they grow on me until I love almost every track. This is finally happening now with this one. Not so many steel drums in these tracks but a lot more Cajun guitar, continuing the trend started in Far Side of The world. Bama Breeze starts off sounding a bit country which is not that surprising given that Buffett's previous studio work was pure country. Being very English I usually just don't get country, but on this song the lyrics are so good, I just really wanna go there now.

I particularly love the chillout tracks Hula Girl at Heart and Dukes on Sunday. I would probably like Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On a lot more if it was a bit more realistic. How can you just shrug your shoulders and carry on after you've experienced the sheer horror of Katrina? Silver Wings, Elvis Presley Blues and Cinco De Mayo in Memphis are pleasant songs with engaging melodies and lyrics, Wheel Inside a Wheel has a little black magic in it, a little like Autour de Roche.

That's the good, now for the bad. Weather With You is an annoyingly bad cover of the Crowded House song. Compare that with Treetop Flyer, the hidden track on Banana Wind which is better than the Steven Stills original so you know Buffett can do a much better job than this. I don't like the way Buffett sings Party at the End of the World: - D'accord, d'accord sung with a Southern accent just doesn't work, and on Everybody's on the Phone he just sounds like an old bloke moaning about new fangled technology.

Dunno yet where this stands within the pantheon. Need to listen to it a few more times. That shouldn't be too much of a chore.
on 16 September 2006
I've just seen the video for Bama Breeze and I am convinced that JB's putting together some of his best stuff since the late 70's. This one is going to be a must have for all Parrotheads, mines already on order!!!
on 2 April 2008
My son bought me this last year and, even better, got tickets for Jimmy's Bama Breeze concert in Tampa. He's even better live. A wonderful outdoor partay experience.

Some good new tracks on this one. Love the title track, Bama Breeze and Party at the End of the World. Everybody's on the Phone is a nice little dig at today's obsessions with technology. My other favourites are Regabilly Hill, Wheel inside the wheel and Breathe in, breathe out, move on but there are no real duds. Excellent for all Parrotheads and would make a good introduction to people who haven't had the Buffet experience before.