on 28 January 2016
Rubbish. Sent it back.
77 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 November 2017
If you read through various different reviews and try to look for videos on how to use it you will soon find out that opinions are split and what works for one person doesn’t work for another.

Here is why…
First of all, you need to know how to use this tool and most people don’t.
I won’t lie, working in restaurants as a lowly chef assistant puts you in a position where it’s on you to fulfil most of the arduous and annoying jobs and as such I’ve gone through hours and hours of running potatoes through the food mill and can attest that it is a sheer nightmare!
Using a food mill may make you hate cooking and more so, hate on life!
It’s slow and annoying but unfortunately it has no substitutes, none!

A food mill is the only way to take things such as tomatoes or apples with their pill on and seeds still inside and end up with a pile of clean edible food and another of skins and seeds… it really is magical!

However, for every two full spins of the mill you need to make a whole counter turn because unlike a grater or mashing anything through a fine sieve the food mill doesn’t “mash” or “chip small pieces” but rather it places food parts at what I can only describe as “a positional disadvantage” thereby forcing them to go through the pours. But, it doesn’t use a forced press as much as it squeezes food between two walls and because of that pills, skins and seeds are left closing pours that need to be scraped (hence the counter turn) followed by manually manoeuvring the food into the open area with a spatula.

So, to put it in arduous steps:
1) Complete two whole circles
2) Complete an entire counter turn (it’s important to fully complete it)
3) Use a soft spatula to manually manoeuvre the food into the open section of the mill
4) Repeat from step 1

About this mill by OXO:
It’s stable, works fine, easy to turn and is quiet (doesn’t squeak).
Its size is a bit on the small side but still good for home use (it’s about a third or even a fourth of restaurant size mills).
If you’re using it in correlation to whatever food you’re making for one specific dish it’s fine but it’s certainly too small for making large quantities.

Whether or not the extra rubber that is associated with OXO is worth spending the extra money (this mill is expensive) is a personal question but I would say that it probably isn’t.
I bought mine through ebay for half as much as it’s being sold here on Amazon.

OXO makes good tools so in most cases anything by OXO is a “safe bet” but they are overpriced and sometimes they are being celebrated for being more than they are but in general I can’t think of anything I have by OXO that is bad… they make good tools and I’d recommend this food mill to anyone.
on 29 October 2016
4.5 stars reviews? I would not give even 1 star. Very poor design and quality.
There is no bushing on the top of the shaft ( as on picture) which causing bottom plate going off balance and touch grinding discs when used, producing metal shavings. If you get one that does not do that while new, I believe that it will start touch grinding discs later due to poor design.
Perfect only for making metal shavings. Returning for refund.
review imagereview image
on 29 August 2017
This Food Mill does not mill food. The one I got didn't work, but unfortunately I purchased it well in advance of needing to use it, so by the time I realised this was a complete dud, it was too late to return it. After many hours trying to get it to work, I can only conclude that it is of poor quality construction. The blades are not sharpened at all and there is a gap between the pressure plate and the blades that means food is never forced through. I am surprised as I bought it based on brand reputation. Never Again. €50 I will never get back.
on 11 February 2016
OXO are now producing an interesting array of kitchen products along with those little brown stock cubes wrapped up in foil delight. I bought a great pair of OXO kitchen scissors - robust and lifetime sharp. So I felt confident - sight unseen - in buying this food mill. To be honest I did not know I needed it until a recent soup recipe advised on passing the mash through a food mill - I had been tossing the soup into a blender - and this was really too aggressive and spoiled delicate soup flavours. The inner section is stainless steel as are the cutters and a spiral that forces the food through the cutters. The outside body is robust plastic and feels tough for the job. There are three legs that fold out - this lets you use the mill over a bowl or saucepan. Once set up the whole device is firm and easy to use - it just needs a back and forth technique to make sure solids are captured by the spiral and forced through the cutter. Two of the cutters are very fine I am not sure what I'll use those for yet but the larger cutter makes a nice job of grating down cooked vegetables in your soup - my first try was duck soup Moroccan style - the missus loved it with lentiles verte. Using the mill retained great flavours and was a lot easier to clean than a blender.
on 1 August 2015
Not good for what I wanted. I make jams, I wanted to use it to mush fruit during cooking. Messy and might as well just use a potato masher which is a lot easier. I used it to separate the skin from stones like in plums and damsons. Just jams the works up and the stones are still hard to see, although you know one is in there! Then you loose a lot of fruit on the grater. The legs are also slightly too small for jam pans so I have to use several bowls or have two legs on and one dangling and me balancing it.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 February 2016
I've been using food mills for years for mashed potato and soups. I used an old plastic one (kitchen craft I think) which has been fantastic and was very cheap but was beginning to scour slithers of plastic from the bowl. So, I requested this one for Christmas and used it that day to make mashed potato. I was very underwhelmed with its lack of downward pressure but kept it thinking I'll just have to work out how to get the best out of it. Well, having now used it several times I'm afraid I will be going back to my cheap plastic mill which does a far better job in far less time. This feels like it was released without testing properly as it simply does not have enough pressure from the spring to force food through. Rubbish, please save yourself a lot of money and buy an alternative.
on 16 October 2016
It has been a big disappointment. I bought it to mash boiled vegetables for my son, but it doesn't do the job, it generates so much waste that I decided to stop using it.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 August 2016
The product doesn't grip to the container it's not stable it's not safe you have to be very careful
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse