on 5 September 2009
I bought the Kitchen Aid Artisan Burr Grinder recently, specifically to grind beans for espresso coffee in a Gaggia Classic. Out of the box the unit looks good and sounds good. The glass hopper and catcher avoid static build up and the tight seal on the hopper should keep the beans reasonably fresh throughout the day. If you want to grind for cafetiere or drip, then this machine will be OK - although there are others which are a lot cheaper which will do just as well. If you want to grind for espresso, avoid this product. It will NOT grind fine enough and you will be very disappointed. I sent mine back for that reason and got an Ascaso i-mini. It does the job fantastically.
33 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 November 2013
My machine functioned perfectly for over 4 years, then while grinding finely for my espresso machine, there was a bang and, though the motor ran, there was no drive. Dismantling it showed that the plastic gears in the epicyclic reduction gearbox had stripped. An internet search found no spare gearbox available. I presume that other people have had this trouble, and supplies of spares have sold out. If only it had bronze or steel gearing. Thus it had to be sent for scrap. I would have happily paid £50 more for a version with steel gears.
on 6 March 2011
Absolutely fantastic grinder!!!! Despite the vast array of alternatives at lower prices the Kitchen Aid device more than delievers. Its design for me looks great on the kitchen worksurface, sits next to my kitchen blender rather well. The grind settings allow great variation for the various beans I use (as the manual suggests keep in mind strenght of bean compared to corseness), the smell is coffee shop like and the taste for me is great. Well worth the investment.
on 20 June 2008
We have made great espresso grinds with this little machine. It's a great entry level Burr grinder well worth the purchase.
44 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 6 November 2011
I wanted a good coffee grinder for our espresso machine, my wife wanted a grinder that went well with the kitchen ... I looked at a review and it was postive, I wish I had read the reviews posted in other "colours" of this grinder. It would have given me cause for a rethink.

This is a beautiful grinder. Love the fact is it made of metal, with a big knob to set the coarseness of the grind. It all feel very durable and well-build, with one exception and that is the container for the ground coffee. It is made of glass and feel quite fragile.

If it was just for that it would get 5 stars, but I have given it 1 star because KitchenAid claims the grind is fine enough for espresso coffee (and that is why I purchased it).

When I first unpacked it, the grind was very coardse (in its finest setting) more like filter coffee. It also showed in the results, an espresso without any crema resembling more black tea than anything else.

Then I opened the grinder (as per the instructions) to manually adjust the settings so that the grind was at its finest ... the results were visibly better, but still let than store-bought ground espresso coffee or the results using Italian grinders in the same price-category like Gaggia, Quickmill or Raciano.

Unfortunately I cannot use this grinder. So if you are using it for anything else than espresso, by all means this is a beautiful well-made grinder ... but if you are an espresso drinker find something else.
66 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 6 November 2011
I wanted a good coffee grinder for our espresso machine, my wife wanted a grinder that went well with the kitchen ... and that is why we purchased this KitchenAid Artisan coffee grinder.

And it is a beeautiful grinder. Love the fact is it made of metal, with a big knob to set the coarseness of the grind. It all feel very durable and well-build, with one exception and that is the container for the ground coffee. It is made of glass and feel quite fragile.