Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: DVD|Change

on 13 May 2007
This BBC documentary is a must for anyone interested in wildlife and the Galapagos. I used it to help prepare myself for a visitor to the islands and now I watch it to remind myself of the wonderful sights I saw while I was there. It is fully up to the very high standards that you would expect from a BBC production and I highly recommend it. Enjoy!
VINE VOICEon 1 March 2007
This series used spectacular Hi-Definition cinematography from land, sea and air, and blended dramatic landscapes with intimate animal behaviour, drama reconstruction and stunning satellite imagery.

This is a stunning BBC documentary - if you like BBC wildlife stuff then this is for you. The islands are like nowhere on earth - hence the documentary.

All the usual BBC values are present so buy with confidence.
on 6 April 2009
We've just watched this having just returned from a life-changing two weeks cruising and visiting these beautiful, humbling islands.

The DVD is amazing with fabulous narration, gorgeous music and breathtaking camera work. Some may think that aspects are over the top and "fairy-tale" like but this is exactly what the islands are like. Yes there is some repetition but some of the points are so central to understanding this unique place that they warrant reinforcement.

Many people have asked us to describe what the Galapagos are REALLY like. Words and photos dont do them justice. This DVD does a pretty good job. Go buy, sit back, marvel and start planning. Brilliant.

(If you can, buy in BLU-RAY)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 December 2011
For as long as I can remember, the BBC and natural history programmes have been a safe recipe for success and this is not exception. The filming is stunning, commentary informative, music evocative and the DVD quality excellent. This is a fascinating insight into these famous islands and it will make fascinating viewing for anyone interested in the islands or natural history.

Recommended
on 10 April 2013
The pictures are beautiful, but unfortunately the same pictures are repeated over and over again. Same for the commentary, which is extremely repetitive. The islands slowly shift Eastward. Darwin was there, catching finches. Every island is different. Etc. Etc. Interesting, but I don't need to hear that repeated every 5 minutes. As said, overall it is great to watch, but slowly but surely seeing and hearing the same thing again and again spoils much of the fun of it.
on 29 December 2011
A fascinating viewing of some of the most unusual creatures in the world,many of which are found nowhere else on earth. The high quality filming shows many of the islands spectacular volcanoes and the formation of the islands over the centuries. The landscapes are positively dangerous in many parts and it is a miracle that some of the species have survived the constant upheavals and battles against the elements. A most informative and educational film which I would recommend.
on 15 August 2011
We are planning a trip to The Galapagos Islands, so I bought this to see what we might expect to see.
This DVD is full off spectacular photography and has really fired us up for our trip.
If we see a quarter of what this DVD shows on our trip, I will be very happy.
Absolutely stunning!
on 27 July 2010
I bought this on returning from a fabulous holiday in the Galapagos and this DVD filled in the gaps in what I had learned plus also giving me a real souvenir of my trip. Excellent photography and interesting commentary.
on 14 May 2013
As I am not likely to visit this region, this is the next best thing! I particularly enjoyed the scenery, and it was very interesting to hear about the history of the islands, and the animals themselves! I enjoyed the feature on "Lonesome George"- pity they couldn't find a female for him, and pity he is now dead. However, surely this shows the frail state of the animal population in that region, and it is very important to preserve the Galapagos Islands.

If I was being harsh, Tilda Swanton's voice can be a little bit hypnotic at times. This did not distract from an extremely good documentary as far I was concerned! The subtitles were very helpful.
on 10 June 2013
Amazing photography and good all round information and background of the islands. From their origin, through to present day threats and problems facing their survival.