on 25 October 2006
I bought the jbl creature speakers last xmas and was so impressed with them that I couldn't resist buying the "On Tour" ones for taking on holiday.

The sound quality is absolutely fantastic for such a small item, particularly compared to some of the rivals! I was totally amazed. I like music with a lot of bass and even turned up loudly there appears to be no distortion. You can control the volume of the speakers themselves without having to rely upon the volume of your MP3 player.

The speakers themselves are small and compact - they also don't weigh much, even with their batteries (or you can run them off the mains). They are also very stylish with the sliding cover. They come with their own carry bag which is pretty handy and the battery life seems to be very good.

I would definitely recommend these speakers to anyone.
on 19 May 2007
After quitea bit of researching and auditioning of other small protable speaker systems owned by friends, I was drawn to the 'on tour' speakers after reading their reviews on Amazon's site. I wasn't able to find any friends who had them so bought them 'blind'.

I've had them 2 days now and have thrown just about every type of music through them to see if I could find any weakness in their output quality. In short, I'm staggered at how well this small speaker unit has coped with everything from Pat Metheny to Joe Bonnamassa and Royksopp to Scott Matthews.

The sound quality is full of clarity and depth. I expected them to be a bit tinny by virtue of the 1" speaker size, but no, the sound is rounded and well balanced with a surprising amount of definable bass.

If you are looking for a very high quality, neat, robust, and excellent value for money speaker unit that would be a joy to have on your travels - look no further! You will have stunning music quality no matter where you are.

Incidentally, my audio source was a 30Gb iPod Video.
on 20 April 2009
When my old Creative Travelsound speakers stopped working, I started trawling the internet for replacements. I found that most portable speakers were dedicated for the iPod (I neither own an iPod nor want to get one until Apple decides to improve the sound.) I was looking for a unit that didn't look incomplete without an iPod. Hence my choices were limited.

Creative's speakers had terrible reviews. I tried a few others (including the X-Mini speakers) but was generally not happy about the sound, portability or some other feature.

Finally decided to get the JBL On Tour speakers. As soon as I unpacked the unit, the clip on the battery compartment broke (mentioned in other reviews). Returned the unit for a replacement and the next one had metal connector instead of plastic on the slide locking mechanism and seems to be more robust. The build quality otherwise is very good.

As soon as I plugged in my mp3 player, I was very surprised at the sound quality coming from this little unit. Although it doesn't have a ground thumping bass, it's better than anything else I've come across. In fact the overall sound is so good, I am thinking of buying another unit just as a spare.

As another reviewer mentioned, don't look any further. This is an excellent choice for travel speakers.
I have taken delivery of this speaker system yesterday.

I am bowled over.

First of all they are on special offer in a certain cut priced audio retailer for £50 so the price is very very good.

They are fantastic. They look really cool and come with a soft pouch to protect the shiny case. They feel really sturdy. The sound is fantastic and really quite powerful with little distortion. The base does not kick enormously but how could it in a unit this size.

It took me half an hour to work out that they do not have a power off botton and the only reference to switching off is on the cardboard packaging which states that it has auto power-off to conserve battery power which is also very good.

After an evening listening to music, I am really really pleased.

Recommended +++
on 24 June 2007
I did quite a bit of research on the net before I opted for these speakers as I wanted s good quality set of speakers for travelling, but which were compact and light enough to fit the bill.

I settled on these speakers and I've never regretted the decision. They are lightweight, nice to look at and for the size, deliver unbeatable sound.

I'm very happy with them to the extent that they now live in the kitchen and mean I don't have to cart out my Bose sound dock from the living room anymore. Recommendations don't come much higher than that!
on 24 May 2007
For such a small bit of kit and especially as it only has 2 x 1" speakers the sound quality is really good. Bass is obviously limited by the speaker size but if placed on a solid surface this helps the bottom end out enormously. Clarity is good but remember rubbish in = rubbish out.

Well built, beautifully finished, good value, what more do you need?
on 11 June 2009
When my Creative travel speakers packed up (the glasses-case sized one) I bought this as I already have some brilliant JBL speakers for my computer. I am amazed by the amount of good-quality sound these produce without distortion. They don't sound at all tinny and they make enough sound to certainly do damage to your hearing if both your mp3 player and the speakers are at maximum volume! It also looks pretty sleek and when the cover is slid back over the speakers, is very neat and compact. The only things that could possibly be improved, although these are minor: the battery cover is a bit annoying as it's a bit fiddly to get off and put back on, but then one doesn't need to do that often. Also,the bass could be even better than it is, although it's not bad at all. Great value and perfect for travelling.
on 8 October 2010
I've been looking around for a good, non-iPod pair of speakers for my music player for a while, and after going the cheaper route and being disappointed, I read the reviews for this and decided to push the boat out a bit. And I'm glad I did. The important thing, to me, is that the sound is not only good --- rich and full and yet detailed -- but that it stays that way even at low volumes. I tend to use mine in the morning as I get up,and play the music quietly so as not to wake anyone else . To my amazement, the nuance of the music is still clear and distinct, the tone still warm and full. And that's quite a feat. I'd never thought of it before (I've always been a "Let's see what these babies can do" kind of person) but it really, really matters.

And, yes, I have played them at a decently loud volume and the clarity and....oh, hell, I'll use the word again...warmth are very impressive. So, if you're looking for a really decent pair of mp3 speakers, spend a little extra and get these. You won't be sorry.

LATER (11/10/13) Or will you? A couple of months ago, about to take this set on holiday with me, I went to replace the batteries and...yep, the catch snapped off. It was always fiddly (I had to consult the instructions on how to open the blessed thing) and, as I fiddled, off it came. So, two stars deducted, I'm afraid, for shoddy build.
on 5 February 2009
If you're thinking of doing all the research into which product is the BVF£ in this price range, don't bother.

I've done it for you.

As of 02/09, buy these.

Qualms:
~ If you do decide to trawl through and it comes down to either the On Tour or a similarly-priced Creative Labs model, the amp circuitry and hardwired EQ of the JBLs are superior to anything I've heard from the competition. I've blasted everything from Holst to Jamie Duggan through this black box and I still find myself being impressed with the soundstage.
~Regarding the auto power off system, just hit the [+] & [-] buttons simultaneously to shut the unit down.
~"The black surface of the unit is a magnet for fingerprints?! Golly!" Pish-posh. If you're bothering to so much as skim the reviews, I know you don't actually care.

Find out for yourself!
on 22 January 2009
Bought for use when travelling, camping etc. The sound from something so small and compact is stunning. They are ideal for taking on holiday, just back from holiday last week, spent many a happy hour listening to my IPOD through them on the balcony, by the pool and on the beach. Fits easily into a cabin luggage, you can run them from the mains or by battery.

See one answered question