Customer reviews

Very Good
on 7 March 2017
Great film
on 1 June 2007
It has been a long time coming, but the DVD is well worth the money and the wait. Complete with extras, like the Making of...., which includes interviews with the producer and cast members, the overall package has been thoughtfully and carefully put together. The accompanying booklet gives an episode guide with pictures, and is a good addition to the product. The production has always been a classic, and thankfully the DVD produced does it justice. Buy it,you wont be disappointed!!
on 31 May 2007
I've waited a long time to see this on DVD, but it's been worth the wait: beautifully produced, with a 12 page photo-booklet, and a "making of" featurette. Wonderful to be able to watch it again!
on 24 May 2010
Along with thousands of other youngsters at the time this was 'essential' viewing in the summer holidays, squeezed between the Pink Panther & Why Don't You it made those summer mornings glorious.
Brilliantly cast, well written, some great drama especially involving Injun Joe, Huck's Pa, and the emotional return of the boys after they are presumed dead. I watch this every summer and it still makes me cry from the opening song to Aunt Polly's overdubbed dialogue. I can't heap enough praise upon this series, makes you wish for those care-free days again when all you had to worry about was whether to go down the beck or play on your grifter with your mates.
Bully stuff.
22 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 June 2007
This is the DVD that I've been waiting for ever since DVD was invented. I grew up with this series in the 1980's and early 1990's, and to watch it again is just a delight. What we have here is 4 DVD's containing each of the 26 episodes in full, complete with Ian Tracey's commentary of what will happen in the next episode, as well as what happened in the previous, just as it was aired. Of course, each has been digitally remastered for DVD, making it an even more enjoyable experience. As a bonus, you have a 30 minute episode ''The making of...'' featuring interviews with four original cast members as well as the producer, which are fascinating.

This compilation has been well worth the wait, does justice to this cult series, and I'd recommend any fans to buy it without hesitation.
11 Comment| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 January 2007
This is the classic Canadian / German television series we all watched and loved during the 80's and early 1990's. Sadly this excellent series hasnt been shown here in the UK for many years, but thanks to Fabulous Films we will soon be able to own the official release of the full series.

Ian Tracey and Sammy Snyders star in this excellent tv series with 26 x 25min episodes covering the material in 'The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer' and 'The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn' books by Mark Twain.

I loved watching this series when I was a child and none of the movie versions come close to this classic childrens television series. Ian Tracey played a great role as Huckleberry Finn.

The series theme tune was also very memorable as were the opening titles featuring the paddle steamer travelling along the Mississippi river to the lyrics 'time looking back on the days that were slower, when living was easy and neighbours were friends...'

I cannot recommend this television series enough. buy it now and go on an amazing adventure with Tom and Huck.
on 9 March 2017
I grew up watching this as a child in the early 80s. I knew I had enjoyed it, without remembering much of the plot now that I am 40 something, and decided to show it to my 7 year old. I was a little concerned that it might look too old fashioned for him and it crossed my mind that he might not be interested, but from the first moment of the theme tune starting up and the paddle steamer floating down the river in the opening credits, he was hooked. We watched the first four episodes in one sitting, and we then watched another two episodes every evening until we finished the series.
The young actors playing Tom and Huck are very good. Sometimes when you watch something you enjoyed as a child it can seem badly acted and corny, but with this programme that didn't happen at all. The acting is convincing and natural, and full of expression. The adventures are exciting and tense and my son was genuinely worried for the characters when they were in a tricky situation.
There is a good chance to explain to children what happened regarding the slave trade with this show, as although it no longer happens it is nonetheless a part of history and deserves a discussion.
When we had watched the last episode my son was actually quite upset that there wasn't any more to see, and I wish it had been longer myself.
Summary: Moving, heartwarming, happy, sad, thought provoking, nostalgic programme. Wish I could watch it all again for the first time.
on 18 November 2008
A beautiful classic that I remember watching when I was young. My 7 year old was gripped from start to finish and wanted to know if there was a follow up.
The reason I haven't awarded 5* is that the DVD hasn't been re-mastered so is a little grainy. However this didn't impact the delight in watching.
on 10 October 2013
One of the finest TV series for kids from the 1980s, this German/Canadian co-production is so watchable and with each episode at 24 mins each its not a chore to watch an episode or two every night. The 2 lead actors are amazing as Huck/Tom and theirs real magic when they are together which is noticable in the third quarter of the series which concentrates on Huck and Tom isnt in 3 or 4 episodes, still enjoyable but dips a little. Still theres a fine actor playing Jim the slave so he more then compensates. The theme tune is memorable, the pacing of the story well done and even the dubbing of some of the German actors (to give them a more American sound) is very well done. Ive bought many series from my youth on dvd purely for nostalgic reasons, many dissapoint but this has just got better with age. You will watch it again and again :-)

Now....whitewash that fence and look out for Indian Joe!!!

Includes a fantastic half hour documentary on the shows making, with interviews from Tom/Huck/Jim and Indian Joe.