Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 November 2006
........I thought that they were right to start with, but actually this album is a real grower AND is actually amazing AND if you play it through some big speakers its even better!! I think shadow has defiantly moved on from the other 3 great albums, moved on and upwards cant wait to see what's next! So ignor the bad reviews and listen to an artist who is constanly evolving his music! brilliant check it out......!!
on 21 September 2006
Not at all what i was expecting, the production seems to be lacking shadows normal style and it's a step away from his previous efforts. if you are a fan of private press of introducing, this may not be for you.Respect for trying a new sound but if anything the rap cameos on this album add nothing and overall the album is poor. The bonus DVD is not great either. overall very dissapointed
on 19 September 2006
I have not had time to assimilate the full brilliance yet, suffice to say DJ Shadow delivers once again, as with all previous releases.

Some hip hop influences here but they have not taken over completely, a journey into funky 70's has also started. All preceded by the brilliant War of the Worlds Richard Burton-esque dialogue telling a V for Vendetta style story kicking it off...

If you like Shadow you need this, actually even if you don't, you still need this.
on 30 March 2008
DJ Shadow is clearly trying to break into the lucrative world of gangsta rap since at least half of the tracks seem to emulate Snoop Dogg, 50 Cent, etc. It's almost like this is his audition for rap record producers rather than a serious attempt to make an album of a comparable standard to any of his earlier work. Established artists with a loyal following rarely make the transition to another genre successfully and this album is no exception. I'm not a fan of gangsta rap and am glad I paid just £3 for this album. If you want a good Shadow album, get The Private Press, Endtroducing or even "In Tune and On Time" (a live DVD+CD package). The non-rap tracks on this one are not worth buying this album for and pale into insignificance compared to his earlier work. And for those who say we hardcore Shadow fans are narrow-minded in disliking this album, I suggest you go back and listen to all of his previous albums to see where the differences are and why we might be entitled to our own opinions!
on 29 September 2006
If you are a shadow fan then you were probably itching to hear this "new sound" of dj shadow, expecting a different, yet still typically shadow style of abstract hip-hop/trip-hop. When you try to calmly put the cd in the player and press play you hear a fairly shadowesque intro... but the disappointment soon sets in as you hear beats that would not sound out of place on a Justin Timberlake album (no im not joking). Im sad to say the mighty have fallen, and fallen hard with an album that I believe is reaching out to a commercial audience. I doubt any diehard fans of shadow will be pleased with this album but is just about forgivable due to the original and literally stunning pieces he has previously released.
on 6 October 2006
Well I'm a big Shadow fan and I wrote a substantial review on this album which the boys and girls at Amazon didn't add so now i'm writing an abreviated version basically saying how much of a dissapointment this album is and wondering what people are liking bout it. Like home boy states it's a HH compilation where by he has turned to production as opposed to turntablism OK the production is pretty tight I'll give you that but it's DJ Shadow not producer Shadow. Lets hope this is a tester and he will revert back to the turntables cause this is nothin like what I was waitin for so much so I had to check the dudes had put the right CD in the box when I 1st listened to it. Well the old expression IF IT'S NOT BROKE DON'T FIX IT !! has been left behind with this album crying shame so go buy Cut Chemist for some back to roots DJing instead ...sniff..sniff
on 31 January 2007
Bought this album last year, loved it, but have been holding off reviewing it. So many one star reviews. Was I wrong? After three months, I can confidently report that no, I was not wrong, the Outsider is a staggeringly good album.

I, too, loved Endtroducing. And the Private Press. DJ Shadow has moved on, though, and so should we. So many bands - mentioning no names - remain the same, churning out the same old stuff with diminishing returns. Not DJ Shadow. And he's getting slammed for it. The reaction to this latest album reminds me of the response to Dylan when he first started playing electric guitar.

I keep going back to the Outsider. Every time I listen to it - loving just about everything about it - I try to figure what people hate about it. Certainly, the production couldn't be anyone else, and there are echoes of all his earlier work in it. Is it the rap? The ballads? I just don't get the antipathy. Check it out for yourself, because if you take too much notice of the 1-star brigade you're going to miss out on one of the most breathtaking albums of 2006.
on 4 October 2010
Good communication and fast delivery with this seller. I was a bit dissapointed though because the cover on Amazon was green and the cover I got was yellow!
on 31 August 2015
Everything was perfect¡¡¡
on 10 January 2008
I'm shocked that this album has received such bad reviews to be honest.
I held off buying this album for ages untill it was being sold for about £3.50. I was so concerned by all the negative press.

I thought well now I have to give it a try, its shadow.
I really like it, its a complete mix of tracks, its better then Endtroducing, which, sorry guys, is starting to sound dated.

I happen to have a pretty varied taste in music, in fact so varied that its difficult for me to find a track that strikes me as "new".
In fact I would have been pretty disappointed if it had sounded anything like Endtroducing, I've played that album out.
Listening to it now, the emphasis is not on DJ Shadow, perhaps thats where the problem lies, if DJ Shadow didn't put his name to it the reviews wouldn't be so harsh or the middle aged hipsters wouldn't crawl out of the wood work to slate their old hero.
"Here's Shadow, he made music we liked twenty years ago, maybe he'll fuel my outdated tastes"
I have a lot of his older stuff, I even have an original copy of Brainfreeze (yes its authentic) for me, this album had to happen.
The trouble is that it doesn't fit in to that "DJ Shadow" mold.
Its not funk, its not "Trip Hop", its about three different genres, blues, hip hop and hyphy.
Don't get me wrong, I don't like all of it, I could do without the hyphy on tracks 3 through 5, however tracks 2, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 is golden, 12, 13, 15 and 17 are just awesome seriously.
If you liked Endtroducing, clap clap, well done you.
I'll be gutted if Shadow doubles back after this, theres even rock in there, I mean...
aw i'm so angry hearing it now and listening to all those reviews you have no idea, just seriously, grab your Endtroducing CD, dig a little hole and go hide out of the way.
Anyway I have to record now... I'm so angry at the negative feedback he's getting, ridiculous, you people need to catch up seriously.