Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 January 2007
From playing their first gig in 2005 to chart success in 2006 The Fratellis have come a long way in a short space of time. And that reason is Costello Music.

Costello Music has such an electic mix of upbeat songs that you will leaving you humming their tunes hours after you've listened to the album. Perhaps going as far back to the Seahorses' 1997 album Do It Yourself, has an album been so upbeat with rich guitar rifts and lyrics that have no need to try and be cool, with Fa la la's littering tracks, Jon, Barry and Mince have bucked the trend of neo punk bands and given us music straight from the gut.

Every track on this album is a feel good track. Unlike most other new artists The Fratellis have decided not to record an album in one genre, even though you'd have to stick it in the Indie section of the record store. Instead they have gone with music they like and what makes them feel good.

The Fratellis influences have been well noted including the Clash and Terrorvision, which you can spot in Everybody Knows You Cried Last Night, but there's definitely other influences you can spot, namely in the track Doginabag there's shades of John Squire's guitar rifts from The Stone Roses and some 70's glam rock ala T-Rex in the track Baby Fratelli.

The whole album doesn't flow in the traditional sense. Normally an albums' track order would be scrupulously planned, but there was no need for that on Costello Music, the whole album order really falls over itself, but in a good way, it just works.

If you want uncompromising music that will have all the music press raving about then buy The Artic Monkeys album. If you want sing-a-long at the top of your voice down the motorway feel good uplifting guitar rock then buy The Fratellis, Costello Music.

5 Stars.
on 25 November 2006
I first heard them on Radio One - where they were being hyped to death - and thought "here we go latest indie flavour of the month". But that Chelsea Dagger song was pretty catchy you know...

So I though what the hey I'll check it out and Wow! This album is quite frankly superb.

Every song has a slightly different style from full on punk rock in the vein of the Clash, Undertones, Buzzcocks etc to whistful acoustic numbers, theres also dashes of blues and ska in there too; and all wrapped up with fistfuls of hooks that'll have you singing along before you know it. Each song has its own little narrative going and have some absolute gems of lyrics in there. Most indie albums I find, tend to have great singles but the albums are samey and uninspiring, but for The Fratellis nearly all of these songs would make great singles and although I haven't seen them, I think they could be a great live band too.

I love it and at the moment it's my most listened to album and easily in my top 3 of the year so far. Check it out.
on 3 August 2007
Close to 50, I am probably one of the oldest people to review this album. And while a previous reviewer has pointed out they have not done anything particularly new, they have done what they do particularly well. This is an amazing album, it has not been out of my car's cd player since I got the car last september, it has hardly been off my cd player at home, it is simply one of the best albums I have ever heard. I just have to say that anyone who does not find Costello Music one of the best albums they have heard does not appreciate music. It is one of those albums that has to be an essential part of the collection for anyone who claims to like music. Sorry, but I cannot praise Costello Music enough. The challenge to the Fratellis will be trying to follow it up. Good luck on that front, guys, you'll need it....
on 3 May 2016
Just fabulous fantastic I truly recommend this album it's tops with me
Best buy of the year
Please Don't class me as a " Simon Cowell " ha ha
But I do like this album a lot the music is very catchy... with it and not loud pop
more middle of the road some thing to enjoy any time of day
Out of the 3 albums that I do have at the moment this one is my favourite
ha ha ok so this one has 3 young lady's on the cover...nice...
I leave you to buy this fab album and to pick out your own favourite tracks...
Witch you will find very hard , as they are all so fantastic the lyrics are so catchy
and so well mixed to the music
Being a new band or group to me.. playing some fab music I hope and look
forward to hearing this music played live in concert ... soon

It tops Five Gold Stars from me for the fantastic music & for the 3 young lady's...
so here's hoping you get the chance to buy and enjoy this fantastic music soon
from
SATAN

P.S You be mad to miss out on not buying this album
review image review image
on 30 January 2008
Don't waste time reading the reviews...just go and buy it...take my word for it whatever you pay is not enough! Absolutely mindblowing!!
on 23 January 2016
First CD I got of the Fratellis and I like quite a few of the tracks, though not all of them. Has it made me a raving fan? No, it's okay though, what I did like was the cover art, and I just may get another different album in the future.
on 5 October 2006
Album of the year? A big claim I know, but one which the Fratellis might claim with some conviction. A serious contender to the "Whatever People Say I Am..." for that distinction, "Costello Music" is a magnificent surprise.

Having greatly enjoyed the three singles so far, I must admit to approaching with some trepidation - but am happy to report that these three are by no means the only great tracks here, and not even the best. Naturally "Henrietta" would be a storming opening for any album, but the pace and energy is maintained through the first half. The exception - in terms of a change of pace - is the "ballad" (inverted commas as I'm not sure the Fratellis entirely "do" ballads), "Whistle for the Choir" - which although it demonstrates a definite naivety with slower songs, improves with repeated listening.

For me, in contrast to the previous reviewer, the album peaks in the middle. "For The Girl" is a marvellous track, the best example of what the Fratellis do best - fast, hi-energy, jangly-guitar pop. This is immediately followed by the frankly sublime "Doginabag".

Does the album lose momentum after "Creepin' Up The Backstairs"? Maybe a little, with the exception of "Everybody Knows..." - until the last track. "Ole Black `n' Blue Eyes" is arguably the best offering here, and revisits Chelsea (who herself gets a nod in the sleeve notes). It's a little off-beat, and absolutely the perfect finale.

Influences? Too many to count - you could name Oasis, The Libertines (who couldn't?), but also many others, riffs borrowed from acts as diverse as The Beatles and Aztec Camera (really). But there was one that was driving me nuts, more than any other, and then I got it: if you're a fan of The Kinks - both early and late - you'll find much to love here. "Ole Black n Blue Eyes" put me so much in mind of "Autumn Almanac" it was uncanny.

The one minor disappointment was the absence of "Stacie-Anne" from the first EP. But you can get that on your own, right?

In summary, you can appreciate "Costello Music" as simply a great guitar-pop work. But in a sense that would be to devalue The Fratellis as one of a crowd, where in fact they are offering something quite different from anything else out there today - and for that reason one of the Most Important bands around. Oh yes.
VINE VOICEon 26 June 2008
This album is undoubtedly a cut above the unnecessarily huge number of indie pop albums being churned out at the moment. The songs are instant hits with catchy melodies and energetic music to back them up. After a few listens though, and a massive amount of radio airplay, what remains is a collection of tunes you're a little bit sick of.

The standout tune for me is Creepin' Up The Backstairs, the only track inventive enough to keep me wanting to listen weeks after I bought the album.
on 9 March 2007
The musical equivalent of a teaspoon of vodka in the eyeball. Starts with a thrash, a bang, a rattle and off we go, white knuckles until we drop off the end of Ole Black and Blue Eyes.
As has been pointed out, this isnt groundbreaking but when its this good, who gives a monkeys. Yes in many cases we've been there before but all those places were good places; A little Madchester with Jimmy Cliff flavours followed by a pit stop at the Clash and the occasional detour to The Faces fighting with the Kinks and The Cult. And maybe just a big nod to Bobby Gillespie while we're at it.
While it would seem almost churlish to pick favourites I'll do so anyway. I defy anyone to not flash a childlike smile at the "ba-dap-bap-ba-da-da-da" hook on 'Flathead' and who can deny the foot-tapping, hum-along joyful dittiness of Whistle For The Choir that could quite easily have been done by Smokie in 1976 if Smokie hadnt been sh*te.
Theres no doubt that the crowning glory of the album is the howlingly infectious Chelsea Dagger which will accompany Premiership goal montages and stag-nights for years to come but Everybody Knows You Cried Last Night also presents itself as an instant classic , tipping a hat at the glory of Ska as its does so (and letting us hear Jon Fratelli rattle out a half decent Steve Cradock tribute solo)
While we're talking tributes the Baby Fratelli chorus is surely worshipping at altar of Noddy Holder. No?

In summary its brilliant, just brilliant.
Makes you want to get drunk as a skunk and run around with your hands in the air.
Get in lads. Cracker.
on 1 September 2006
Be warned:The Fratellis aren't simply another mediocre band on the conveyor-belt on indie bands. This trio from Glasgow dare to be different and with fantastic effect! I have just returned from the Carling Weekend and missed Muse to see the Fratellis and wasn't disappointed, and judging by the noise, manic dancing and how far I managed to crowd-surf the audience agreed! Think Libertines mixed with Ramones with a sprinkling of T-Rex and you come close to the sound created by the Fratellis. Everyone I have spoken to agreed that the Fratellis will be on the Main Stage next year as opposed to the Carling Stage, watch this space!