on 24 March 2017
For what I need it for, excellent. Gives me room for improvement as I increase my skills.
on 4 August 2010
Excellent product. I have been using Open Office which up to now has been ideal. However, I am now working with over 200,000 rows of data which is beyond the scope of Open Office. I also found the remove duplicate function on the data tab to be extremely useful. Excel is also useful in producing tab text files for Mapmate. Although Open Office also produces text files they are not completely compatible with Mapmate
on 6 March 2017
Good product and fast delivery
on 2 March 2010
I use Excel at work for at least a few hours a day, and I would class myself as an advanced user. I moved to Excel 2007 about 3 working days ago.

I do not enjoy the new layout. The logical reasons for the restructure are certainly sound, however suddenly things are not where one expects them. If, like me, you make use of lots of keyboard shortcuts then you will no doubt suffer at first. However, this is analogous to `texting' using a new phone and finding that the full-stop and space have been swapped. You learn quickly, especially if you are using the application a lot. In addition, Excel 2007 will interpret legacy alphabetical short-cuts in most cases.

The short term pain is small when weighed against the increased features in the new version. For me this is most notable in the presentation of data. Formatting options, especially conditional formatting, are much improved.

There are some _great_ ways to automatically represent cell values visually (without producing graphs). For example automated cell shading based on value.

Pivot-tables have changed a bit, and will probably give transition users some frustration. But again I think this will be short lived for any advanced users, who will quickly familiarise themselves.

Filtering too is changed, allowing filtering by colour. However, I find that it is harder to shortcut through the expanded options.

There are also a few handy time savers (eg 'remove duplicates') which will be appreciated by many users who might not create macros for automate tasks.

Compatibility with non-2007 users is the only caveat I would add. File formats have fundamentally changed - for the improvement of security and size (and maybe to encourage upgrades). If sharing and collaborate are important, then you will need to get everyone onboard to benefit.

Overall I think for any proficient and regular user the upgrade is worthwhile (pain vs payoff). For those who are not advanced users, pain of change may not be worth it for the new features. For completely new users I would definitely go for 2007.
on 30 October 2008
Unlike previous "upgrades" to Excel, this is a leap into a very different user interface. Previous Excel experts may find themselves spending whole minutes trying to locate features they previously knew by shortcut, and aggrevated by the ribbon bar which flicks about unexpectedly when your finger accidentally slips onto your scroll wheel, but all in all it's worth it.

Previously Excel was limited to a mere 256 columns, and many options such as Conditional Formatting etc. were limited to 3 rules. These have all been vastly expanded, turning it into an even more powerful piece of software. Developer options are interesting, and the visual quality of spreadsheets is much enhanced with gradients and one-click object effects.

Despite winding me up for a month or two I still have to give it 5 stars for being a genuine upgrade to 2003.
on 8 June 2010
For the price you pay, it's worth it in the long run. Since Excel does half the work for you, providing you know the formulas. Even sometimes it fixes the formulas for you.

Creating different spreadsheets, with hundreds of different formulas to sort highest to lowest, simple mathematical sums. So much to it, easy to pick up. Perfect for anyone who needs to keep track of finance.

Best piece of software around, for spreadsheets.
on 15 June 2007
Why would anyone pay over £170 for a piece of software which does nothing more than Open Office.org does -- and OpenOffice.org is completely free of charge?
33 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse