Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 June 2013
I bought this CD because, as a classical music lover, I wanted to try something different from the usual Beethoven, Brahms etc., and I have always admired Paul McCartney. Also, I was interested in the general concept of the album as an expression of McCartney's innermost feelings. There is something very beguiling about this music - it is classical music, yes, but it is suffused with pop elements, also. This may not appeal to the purists of this world, but it will appeal to anyone with an open mind - and that is how one should approach this music. In its time, Beethoven's music was revolutionary in form, as was, for instance, Sibelius's; is not music all about pushing the bounderies? And this is precisely what McCartney has done, and I laud him for it. You will find a touch of the magical mystery tour and even an echo of Poulenc in this work, but the main elements of the piece are McCartney's own. What is wonderful is the profound spirituality within it, and we are treated to gloriously lyrical melodies that are McCartney's trademark. Furthermore, there are interesting shifts of mood, from a passage that will almost reduce you to tears to an organ cadenza that will take your breath away. The more I listen to this music, the more I am drawn into it, and the only reason I have given it four stars and not five is that I have a feeling that McCartney still has more to give us.
on 26 September 2006
Paul McCartney never ceases to amaze. If a picture paints a thousand words then McCartney's latest work, Ecce Cor Meum, would easily fill a dictionary. Forget all the mawkishness of previous McCartney offerings as Ecce Cor Meum has a beauty and a melodic simplicity that transcends the twee and sentimental. For within its 56 minutes lies a genuine attempt to express the spirituality that all of us possess and that which obviously underpins Paul McCartney's life.

Worthy of special mention is Interlude (Lament) - composed with his former wife Linda in mind, and probably the most hauntingly beautiful piece on the CD. I challenge anyone not to be moved to tears by it.

All in all, Ecce Cor Meum is a worthwhile piece of music that will only get better with each successive listening. As he says in the final track, "Here in my music I show you my heart". I think he has.
VINE VOICEon 17 November 2006
I'm both a McCartney fan and a classical music lover and I had high hopes for this, and the opening few minutes are promising. But it quickly descends into a rhythmic mish-mash with a core theme being nothing more than a descending scale sung at a quirky pace. It would work wonderfully in a song as a great hook, but I don't think Macca quite gets the developmental aspect of long works like this.

One of his failings in this, the Oratorio and Standing Stone is his use of his own words. They're simply not very good, and they distract. I suspect that if the Liverpool Oratorio were sung in a language I didn't understand, I'd love it. As it is, it's painful. The same with the end of the (otherwise wonderful) Standing Stone, and with this work.

Yet listen to Working Classical and you can see that McCartney's ear for a melody works wonderfully when engaged on shorter works such as 'Leaf'.

The best classical composers had good editors, people who would say 'this doesn't work'. I wonder if this piece went through an editor? It's promising, but it doesn't deliver. A real shame, but one for completists (like me) only.
on 8 June 2007
What can I say other than it works for me, I don't usually venture too much into classical music , my taste are very varied ranging from 60's pop, indie, soul, blues, ect but I was intriqued with this one and like that famous advert says it touches parts that the others don't - it also makes me want to discover more classical music which cant be a bad thing.
on 10 October 2006
Ecce Cor Meum translates as Behold my Heart and here is lovely music and words blended to perfection by highly skilled singers and musicians into a perfect picture of Sir Paul McCartneys heart. Emotionally raw and beautifully melodic there are parts of this oratorio where you just want to let tears flow. At other points such as when the Tower of London's mighty organ lets rip you want to shout Yippee! The more you listen the deeper the music infiltrates your brain. This wonderful new classical composition has to be experienced.
on 4 November 2006
I attended the premiere of Ecce cor Meum last night and was transported by the almost unbearable beauty of this piece. Paul McCartney has surpassed himself with this comositional arrangement, which is far more sophisticated and moving than anything he has atempted before. Almost transcendental in its soaring spirituality the choirs, orchestra and soloist combine indeed to move music onto another level. In this piece, the words almost say everything,but listen to Paul Mc Cartney,'s heart and you will hear all that is in his soul - music.
on 24 March 2011
Pleasant background listening, but lacking in any real musical depth.
Also, I think Paul McC wrote it as a memorial to his late first wife Linda, so respect.
I've been a big fan of Paul McCartney since childhood, but he is better at Rock and Pop.
on 23 April 2016
Can not be imagened how one can seriously discuss such opuses? A musician and composer who does not know musical notes is similar to a writer who does not know the letters. God knows who is worse and funnier. Of course, in the present time everything is possible: one person whistles the melody, the other person writes this melody by the notes and the dozens of the other people write the score and perform the final result. The work is done and now the ordinary pop-whistler becomes a great classical composer!
on 3 November 2006
This is not McCartney's finest hour. It's not rubbish. There are some attractive melodies and a couple of interesting moments. But this is no masterpiece and I've got many finer classical CDs in my collection. It's all a bit safe, and a little, well, mediocre. At his best, McCartney is a brilliant writer and performer of pop songs. His last pop/rock album demonstrates that superbly. Give us more "Chaos and Creation" please Paul. Leave the Classical stuff to Messrs Mozart and Beethoven.
After years traveling down his Long & Winding Road that led to this collection, it was well worth the wait. Paul McCartney has turned his travails into triumph; his challenges into championships.

Paul has proved to be a musical peer among many, including Tony Bennett with whom he does an excellent duet; those well established in choral work such as Walton, Bax and others of their caliber.

Never able to dodge that Beatle influence which has long become part of so many other songs and forms of music, Paul appears to embrace it. He plays Beatle songs at all of his concerts and even this vastly different collection retains just a hint of that old Beatle magic that made Paul a household name.

By that I mean that Paul remains true to his musical muse; his songs are identified by his warm, ballad-like style and soft sentimentality that softens the cynical edges of an otherwise jaded world. He breathes fresh life and animus into this music; it is this coupled with his own style that pull it off effectively.

One thing that struck me about this poignant collection is the strong spiritual aspect. Paul McCartney maintains an optimistic outlook while beseeching people to look to their goodness within.

This is a very serious collection. This is, I believe, Paul McCartney's core values and beliefs. It is this seeking, finding and reinforcing the goodness in ourselves and others that makes this so unique.

This is a collection that you will want to have. It is very soothing and some of the songs make me think of the Christmas Mass.

Paul McCartney is like his own 1967 classic - getting better all the time. This work is proof positive of that.