Customer reviews

The Pixies - loudQUIETloud [2006] [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 31 August 2017
The Pixies are one of my favourite bands and I did see them on this 2004 reunion tour which was a blessing as I thought I'd missed the opportunity. They are amazing live and this comes across well in the doc.

At first I found this a frustrating watch as you want to get to know the band and understand why they split but by the end you feel like you've been left hanging. They admit they don't talk to each other much but don't particularly see this as a problem though others do. Is it really not a problem or are they frightened of addressing it and prefer to sweep it under the carpet to avoid awkwardness and difficult conversations. Charles does say they like each other when asked but it's not very convincing. Also, apart from the rush of the early shows, its hard to tell if they're enjoying the tour.

Kim comes across as quite sad which maybe she is. She looks bemused when a fan showers her with praise as she clearly doesn't see any reality in it. Kim has always been characterised as 'cool as f***' and I expect that's been a problem for her. This was also a problem for Charles according to Joey as he alludes to Charles being jealous of her popularity and star status.

David was a lot more troubled than I imagined, struggling with addictions you never quite see and the death of his father. Joey is quiet and seemed stuck in the middle of it all, looking unhappy most of the time.

This was not as I imagined them to be but on reflection my disappointment was more about me and my expectations. As fans we like to think that all our favourite bands are great mates who love what they do each night but the reality is that for the majority of bands who're still going into middle age it does become more of a job and the buzz and magic went a while ago. Why would they enjoy it if they're missing their families on the road and they're spending long periods travelling. Loneliness and boredom are the enemies of happiness.

It's important to point out that I've seen them 3 times since they reformed and they blew me away each time. The Pixies are pretty ordinary people when they're not on stage and why shouldn't they be? Now I do feel I got to know them a bit even if it didn't match my preconceptions but ultimately I feel this doc is left wanting.
on 4 April 2009
I found this documentary totally fascinating and very insightful. I love the Pixies music and was lucky enough to see them in 2004 (T In The Park). However, I knew very little about the band themselves, their back story or who they are as people. Okay, so this dvd doesn't go into their whole history and it doesn't give any kind of 'analysis' of their music but it does give us an insight into life on the road, the dynamics of the band and the contrast between working musician and 'normal life'.
I would reccommend this dvd to any Pixie fan, great music, funny at times and very watchable. It has made me want to know more about them and buy more Pixies stuff!! 10 out of 10
on 26 September 2016
Really well done and put together.
on 23 November 2006
Whilst this will be worth watching for die-hard Pixies fans like myself, in truth this is not a great musical documentary... or rockumentary if you will. Aside from Joe Santiago, none of the band come across as really likeable nor do we really get to grips with the problems which split them up in the first place. Instead we get series of little short interludes filmed on the road spliced up with concert footage, whilst interesting enough (just about) there somehow lacks the cohesive narrative and drama which made Mettalicas "Some Kind of Monster" both compelling and unintentionally funny. I gather the Pixies were less than 100% happy with the end results, and speaking as a fan since the late 80's so was I.... In reality it turns out that not a great deal happens on the road of a middle-aged rock band who reform largely for financial rather than creative reasons, so perhaps we shouldnt be surprised. Still, for those who cant get enough its worth the money - even if the documentary crew could have done a little better.
22 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 March 2009
The road is boring. The road is long. The road is the subject of the intriguing and fascinating "loudQUIETloud", a film about The Pixies 2004 reunion tour that makes the endless miles of touring and hotels almost interesting. Almost.

Instead, it follows the same template as it's nearest counterpart, "Some Kind Of Monster", which deals with the same subject matter : people who don't necessarily like each other very much forced together by financial necessity to work together.

The four characters of the band are almost stereotypes : the struggling musician with a family to support playing shows to a handful of people, the ex-bass player sitting at home recovering from drug addiction with nothing to do but knit, the destitute, homeless drummer-turned-magician grateful for a chance at the big time again, and the band's Mr.Big - the tunesmith with a troublesome solo career who needs to turn back the clock and do the one thing he swore he never would.

It's like a suburban Blues Brothers - "we're getting the band back together". Where "loudQUIETloud" works, however, is in it's comprehensiveness : almost every significant moment of the tour is captured in a understated honesty - Kim's bored struggle recovering from alcoholism, the band sputtering haphazradly through their first rehearsal, drummer Dave Lovering's visible withdrawl into alcohol dependency and his iPod following the death of his father, the on-stage spats and rows - on one occasion Frank Black yells "Are you high?", before storming off stage - and the tedium.

This is no "Rattle And Hum", no airbrushed portrait of the artist as a rich man. This is warts and all. Watch the band reform, fall apart, and desperately try not to. Whilst occasionally lacking in breadth (at a slender 85 minutes), and frustrating in the omissions - focusing on the band as people whilst avoiding any analysis of their musical history, ducking a clear answer as to their original split - "loudQUIETloud" is essential viewing for anyone with even a passing interest in the band.
on 10 March 2009
Not much to say. It's a nuts and bolts documentary of The Pixies playing their first reunion tour of small clubs. Some interesting and telling things happen. It's fairly access all areas without getting massively intrusive. They're honest enough about reforming in middle age for mainly financial reasons - being in a mildly successful band doesn't seem to pay for anything better than a middle class lifestyle. Well worth watching, even if you don't care much for the band itself.

I doubt I would ever watch it again so I would recommend renting instead of buying.
on 2 January 2007
I really enjoyed watching this DVD, getting a good insight into the dynamics of The Pixies on tour. As highlighted in the included commentary, this DVD could have been about any one of 100 different stories of the band on tour but in the end the production team decided on the story being the group's inability to communicate to one another and David's struggle with his father's illness. Fascinating. Extra include a wonderful backstage reunion of the band with the ex's of Charles and Kim.
on 1 September 2015
fast delivery amazing documentary.