Customer reviews

Supernova - Series 1 [DVD] [2005]
Format: DVD|Change

on 14 August 2014
Most enjoyable as expected.
on 6 February 2015
Really love this series, I wish they would have put series 2 on DVD.
on 5 April 2015
Love this series but wish I could get Series Two!
on 22 May 2007
I missed series 1 on TV, but was hooked on series 2. So glad it's on DVD as it's so funny and uncomplicated. The Aussie's offbeat way of poking fun at themselves so compliment Rob Brydon's comedy. I can't wait for series 2 to be released.
on 31 December 2008
I saw a couple episodes of this show on a public TV station affiliated with the University of Florida. What a hoot it was! Luckily I found the DVD on amazon.co.uk, so my wife and I have been able to enjoy all six episodes of series 1. We're hoping that series 2 will be released, too. The show has a great ensemble cast. We don't otherwise get to see much of them here in the states.
on 2 December 2013
After Rob portrayed Peter De Lane in Director's Commentary, he got the role of Paul Hamilton in this, which makes me think of the Two Little Dickeybirds rhyme (recently reworked on a trailer for Peter Andre's 60 Minute Makeover and the Paul O'Grady Show)!

Supernova is a fish-out-of-water story, where a depressed Paul escapes his failing relationship by accepting a job as an astronomer in a planetarium in Australia. He makes a bad start by mistaking the main woman there for a prostitute (Kris McQuade), and killing the snake, and breaking a very expensive lens. I also felt sorry for the rabbit that got shot!

The flies that get in Paul's eyes when he's outside made me think of Joni Mitchell's 'Ethiopia' song ('flies in your baby's eyes...') and I felt like someone should have put him some insect repellent on. Rob alludes to failing to be a romantic lead in this on the Annually Retentive series, and I felt more pity for his character, than lust, say. Especially when he is bitten by a snake and suffers from delirium. Didn't anything nice happen to him? The comparison to David Beckham was also wrong- Rob was too dark and insecure in this to be like the husband of Posh Spice.

The episode where the two young characters think there's a god in the universe when it's actually a faulty TV signal relaying Jon Pertwee-era Doctor Who provided a little jollity. And scenes from the episode where Paul confronts a rival for the one he loves could have been edited into a promo for the Tony Banks song 'Hero For An Hour' (on the Still album). 'Big Man' (from the Bankstatement album) could easily have run over the end credits as it's about an insecure man finding himself in a position he can't always handle, like Paul here.

I was so sorry for Paul when he got cabin fever, trying to complete his presentation on 'How The World Will End'. He even says he can't cope with the song 'Tomorrow' from Annie because of this! If ever there had been a series two we could have seen a number of loose ends tied up, but I doubt it will happen now.
on 11 September 2006
I am not usually a Rob Brydan fan but this is hysterical. Brydon plays Paul a very British, clumsy, twit who following a rather disasterous interview goes to work for an observatory in the Australian outback. Thsi series just makes me cry with laughter, it's quite gentle but very funny.
on 24 January 2012
Supernova

This is the best comedy I have found in years , the cast work as a whole, fantastic script lovely dialogue, I laughed until I dropped, where is season 2. The best Rob Brydon has ever done -- far superior to anything he has done since. Most of our friends have bought a copy, the question is who will wear theirs out first.
Every bit as good as porridge - that is saying something - possibly the best TV comedy since Porridge. That includes Blackadder.
on 8 April 2016
A great series, amusing and entertaining, Hope series two is release soon.
on 3 December 2007
Follows our hero's integration into the team of stunningly bright social misfits manning an Australian observatory. All the characters screw up in their own special ways, from episode to episode, but no one has to be predictably the loser every time, not even our hero, despite his pathetic efforts to win the love & lust of his fiercely competent colleague, that's the one engaged to a psychopathic astronaut... A great mixture of interesting characters, with science, sex, and the pub,.. oh, and a lurking risk of death. Quirky, but excellent.