Format: DVD|Change

on 12 February 2013
Just been checking out some of the Scooby movies for my 3 year old who has just got into Scooby Doo via the old series.
I have to say I don't really get the film classifications now ? This is rated U but, although cartoonish, the Horror in it is pretty scary to me.

When the Pirates appear it is taken straight out of John Carpenters "The Fog".
A rolling, glowing fog bank on the horizon engulfs a ship and then claw like hands appear over the sides and slowly revealed are these skull faced, decaying looking, green wrinkly skinned pirates with jagged teeth and hollow eyes.

Can't recommend this for younger children.

The film is decent enough and has the usual Scooby Doo madcap humour and jokey relief throughout, so maybe OK for older kids but really not for young ones.

I don't get how this can be rated U and a film like ET, with no horror, only some suspense is rated PG ? (maybe it has one mild swear word in it I can't remember ?)

All children are different of course, but my 3 year old finds even some of the original 69-72 Scooby series too scary (the Zombie and Witch, The creeper, and The Mummy one moaning....."coin, coin, coin" etc !! :o)

I bought this from reading some of the reviews on here with 3 and 4 year olds loving it, but guess it shows all children vary so much, for anyone buying blind for grandchildren etc Just be wary and maybe watch before letting your little ones watch alone.

Think if I showed this to my 3 year old she would never sleep in her bed again !
on 4 February 2009
This DVD can keep children occupied for hours as our grandchild, aged 3 watches it once a week. As the brand is well known I do not think that you need to know any more details than are shown in the selection. There is also the advantage of being able to order more from the Scooby Doo series. Highly recommended
VINE VOICEon 9 August 2010
I wasn't so keen on watching this Scooby adventure as it has the shortest running time of all of them so far and I figured that it couldn't possibly have a substantial mystery worth taking an interest in.

And while that's true for the most part, they do make a huge effort to keep the viewer guessing by throwing in lots of distractions, more so than any other Scooby adventure. And despite it's brief running time it does manage pack in a fair amount of characters and guest voices, so in a sense they give more AND less.

The Mystery Inc. gang head off on a tropical cruise for Fred's birthday but things turn sinister when they pick-up a drifter floating in the water. No one believes his tale of ghost pirates (they're on a "mystery cruise" and are becoming quite jaded to the novelty), but only when said pirates show up do they gradually accept that it's real.

There's a few more in-jokes than normal in this one too. And while I usually hate in-jokes it's forgivable, and perhaps welcome, in a Scooby-Doo mystery. I am aware that the infamous Bermuda Triangle was the focus of a lower-wattage mystery in the third season of Scooby-Doo back in the early 70s, but this one is considerably better.

It looses points for being short, but it's still a worthy mystery.
on 27 December 2011
Almost all scooby doo movies are great,this one just scrapes in. The story is good and the old gang are together on a cruise doing what they do best.With ghost pirates and the Bermuda triangle involved the action is thick and fast with chase scenes everywhere.
The villains are as usual quite obvious but not for obvious reasons this time.
My son is a huge fan of the scooby doo movies and has watched all the ones we have a lot of times,this gets asked for the least along with monster of mexico.I feel the same it is good but not one we want to rewatch.
If you are only collecting a few scooby doo films I would leave this till you have a few of the better ones first.
So a great film but not the best, hope this helps
on 9 June 2014
This story is set around the celebration of Freddie's birthday aboard a mystery cruise near the Bermuda Triangle. All the cast are in the movie. There is plenty of action and my four year old loved it.
Scooby Doo is an institution, this is one of the best films I have come across, my son and I love the pirate theme and the 'pirate song' when the cruise ship is taken over by the ghostly pirates.

Superb and for this price is excellent value.

Scooby Dooby Dooooooooooooooooooooooo!
on 19 November 2011
didnt realise a full film when bought it....should of paid more attention....however good length, boy of nearly 3 loves it....thinks he is now a pirate! we watch it over and over and over and over again..even know some of the words now!!
on 5 December 2010
Great buy, the kids love it, we even enjoy watching it - you just can't go wrong with Scooby and the Gang! We origianlly purchased this to have on in the background at our son's pirate birthday party, and it has been watched regularly ever since.
on 16 March 2009
Scoobydoo is always entertaining always lots going on in the cartoon i love watching them and im 43.My son has lots of videos and dvds of scoobydoo, they are always great to watch and funny and Pirates Ahoy is no different enjoy.
on 2 November 2011
It's sometimes difficult to know what youre getting with these movies. Scooby Doo is the only thing my 9, 7 and 5 year olds agree on (on those long car journeys) but this is a full length movie like Cyberchase, Alhoa, Where's my Mummy? Loch Ness Monster etc, it has the same feel, the same voice actors etc. so if you have these your children (and you )will like this.
This is my childrens favourite of the Scooby Doo feature length films. It's like a comfort blanket, if I get a call from school to go and pick one of them up ill you can guarantee on the walk home they'll say "can I lay on the setee and watch Pirates Ahoy?".
It has the same voice actors as the regular modern films and this one actually has a story that's quite fun to follow, even I havent got bored of it yet.