on 26 January 2014
Usual story - Loads of LPs and an unused phono deck.
Competent digital set-up with eight Tannoys for surround sound powered by a Poineer VSX D912 which for me is quite good. Technics turntable lying unused because its line out voltage too low. I saw this little baby on Amazon and thought why not-prompt next day delivery and 15 mins to set it up.
Phonos in from the turntable to it (clearly marked) and phonos out from it to the Aux inputs on the amplifier. Not forgetting to connect the ground wire from the turntable to the PP400 which has a nice little brass nut connection for this.
Turn everything on and wow! - music as I remember it in this case from a Fleetwood Mac 1979 album of Tusk. The sound you get will depend on the quality of your Lps but I found this can be controlled this using various settings on the the amplifier. So I am well pleased with this little preamp. Next step for me is a new stylus but there you go....
on 12 May 2010
Got it, (very good delivery time) plugged three cables in, fired up my old Shure V15 Mk 111 cartridge and listened to my old vinyl for the first time in twenty odd years. Boy I wish I'd done it years ago. This has reminded me how much warmer vinyl sounds in comparison to CD's.
This is an excellent pre-amp for the money. I've heard some cheap ones (not impressed) but didn't want to spend £200 plus on the ones I heard that sounded decent. Then a mate rang me up and said listen to the Behringer. For the price I couldn't be bothered to chase one down so I just ordered it on the recommendation. And now I'm recommending it to anyone who needs to run an old deck through a digital amp. The sound is every bit as good as my old transistor amp, and if you're looking to get you old vinyl onto your Ipod through your computer, this is just the job.
It may not be good enough for a real amp-head, but it's good enough for all but the most discerning ear. (And I daresay they'd be pleased with it too).
on 11 July 2014
Absolutely spot on bit of kit. It was just what I needed to connect a lovely period Marantz turntable to my mid 90s Harman Karden amp that didn't have a dedicated phono input.
Easy to connect, plenty of length on the power cable lead, nice tight phono jacks. Audio perfectionists may demand more but this was perfect for my requirements and has let me enjoy my vinyl for first time in years.
Despite other buyers complaining about hum/buzz, I had none. Just make sure you connect the earthing lead from your turntable to the dedicated earth point on the preamp. If your turntable doesn't have one , get a thin piece of cable and connect it to an earth point. Basic electrical principle, common bonded earth.
Delighted with a great product at a reasonable price. A1
on 24 February 2016
Good little pre amp got this for a turntable and it works and sounds fine, no loss of clarity or interference, Ive used Behringer products quite a few times with guitar amp modelling products and have never been let down with either the performance or build quality. They stack up well against the dearer brands who make similar products but with a higher price tag.
on 10 March 2016
Hooked this up to my Pro-ject Essential II Turntable and Edifier R1800T III 2.0 powered bookshelf speakers and I have ZERO complaints for £20. I'm sure the expensive alternatives combined with the right tonearm cartridge, amp and speakers take the audio to a crazy level but this does the job very well. I'm getting great audio reproduction with no hum whatsoever. I purchased this on the basis that it was £20 and I would just upgrade if it was not up to scratch, however it is not moving from my setup. The music sounds great and I am not needing to dissect a song with my ears in search for imperfections, I am just enjoying some good old vinyl and the PP400 is allowing me to do that.
on 6 August 2016
I needed a phono stage to connect my 20-odd year old Technics SL1200 Mk2 to my new fangled (and in some ways disappointing, but that's another story) Marantz MCR610. Bottom line is that it sounds lovely, and promoted me to buy a new cartridge to make the most of my old vinyl records. There is no hum, but it IS sensitive to electrical clicks and pops when, for example, you turn on light switches, and network noise from internet-connected devices, which includes my MCR610. Still, you don't hear this when playing records, which mask it with their own clicks, pops, rumbles and of course lovely warm, rich music! It has to be mentioned though and for me it drops a star. For twenty sheets though I can't complain. Like John Peel apparently said, LIFE has surface noise! Buy one, you can't go wrong.
on 20 January 2015
I bought this so I could connect my deck to my PC and digitise some old records. It does this well, with no noticeable distortion, clipping, hums or other noise. It's in a sturdy metal box, with all connections clearly labelled, a handy green LED to show when it is powered up and an earth terminal if you want to bond all your equipment together - I didn't find this necessary.
on 30 January 2016
Great wee bit of kit, Doesn't have too much or any equalisation built in like some others, allowing your amp/device to manage this for a natural sound. Gives just the right amount of boost to your system. currently using this with a rega rp1 with good results.
Did not come with a power lead though, amazon staff helped out.
on 26 October 2014
Got my old deck out of the loft, repaired it & bought this to match to a modern amp.
Idiot proof instructions, worked first time.
No idea about hi-fi aspects, but no hums or obvious distortion.
So 5 stars
on 25 November 2015
Well, this cheap unit was a surprise. Way better than it 'should' have been - really quite respectable even compared to units costing several hundred £. Shows the Cambridge Audio budget phonostages how it should be done.