Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

Price:£9.70+ Free shipping

on 16 January 2012
This is a fun little toy for your kids, i had when i was a kid in the 80's and my 3 year old has one now.

Its made from ok materials, not the best but it doesnt break 10 mins after opening,

Takes 1 D battery and last for ages, 3 weeks in and still going strong (sob)

The penguin climbs the stairs then slides back to the bottom and repeats over and over and over and over but here is the fun bit, some Chinese product designer decided to makes this particular penguin race product with a squeaking penguin noise, well it just squeaks and squeaks and squeaks for ever the battery wont die! for the love of god, someone help me, i have been listening to squeaks for weeks, i don't have the heart to turn it off as my little boy loves this toy more than me! and its always on,,,,,,

squeak squeak squeak!!
22 Comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2010
Santa brought this for my 2 1/2 year old son and he absolutely loves it. I remember this product, or at least something very similar, from the '80s. As my son in penguin crazy we decided to go for it.

So far it has been used every day since Christmas (13 days), sometimes left on for 15 - 20 mins at a time and is still going strong on the original battery. The 3 penguins can be left to climb the stairs and slide down the chute for as long as you like, or you can lift them on and off too.

I only have one complaint - the noise! It would be a better product (or at least a little more parent friendly) if the speaker could be switched off. The constant penguin "squeaks" do drive you crazy very quickly - but it doesn't seem to bother my son.

Good value and great fun - I recommend it!
As others have said this a toy that has been around in form or another for over 40 years. I remember it being a roller coaster and I also remember being mesmerised by it's perpetual motion. I'm pretty certain that this toy was responsible for my technical interests later in life!)

Well, even though its now penguins it will still transfix your young ones. There are only a couple of niggles: the construction is not fantastic but will last if children are kept in check and it makes a constant squeak with every cycle upwards that could annoy some people. I have uploaded a video so that you can see how it works and hear the squeak (I tried to remove the squeak but failed as I thought I might break the toy and did not want to force it). You will see in the video that the penguins can stop and I found this was due to the toy not being level or a tiny bit of grit on the slide. I rectified it by spraying a little bit of WD40 WD40 W/D450 - WD-40 450ml Aerosol on a cloth and rubbing the slide track to give it a bit more whizz. I also gave the penguin wheels a slight rub with the cloth too. Tech problem fixed

Still, my daughter loves it and that's what counts, right?!
22 Comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The toy is chiefly made of plastic. It's easy to set up - a few pieces of track to put into place, and three little penguins (one black, one blue, one red) that need to be added with a fairly steady hand. The build quality is decent enough and if looked after this set can last 20 years plus (It's a retro re-release. My brother's lasted that long in good condition... and might even have worked if he'd taken the battery out before putting it in my parents' loft!). It might not seem very interesting to grown ups - penguins climb battery operated stairs then slide down a ramp courtesy of an integrated wheel in the base of each - but this was one of the best-loved toys of my childhood, and the kids at my family's nursery seem to love it too.

Unlike other toys from my childhood, this wasn't released with a massive retro toy push as e.g. the (heavily modified!) Fisher-Price Chatterphone featured in Toy Story 3; nor has it been a toy that has simply continued in production for many years. Instead, having not seen one since I was small, this caught my eye from a shop window in my local arcade. My brothers owned versions of this toy about 25 years ago, and this year it has been re-released... in perfect time to become a gift for my nephew! Can't wait to hear the excitement from both my nephew AND my brother - as the latter finds himself with a moving penguin toy and the former realises that his son has an exact replica of HIS toy.

This is one of the most faithful re-released toys I have seen, with almost everything (penguins, track, flags, decals) exactly as we remember the 1980s version. Right down to running on one D battery (not included!!!). The sign at the top seems to be the big difference on this version.
on 5 February 2011
This is great toy. Simple but great nevertheless .The little penguins race around the track and climb the elevator before sliding down to the bottom again. It's mesmerising for little ones and they love it. It's quite retro and harks back to a time when life was less complicated and sometimes it was possible to enjoy something because it gave you pleasure. Very robust too, which helps. Buy it for yourself !
on 30 January 2014
Had one very disappointed boy Christmas morning as so cheap and tacky looking I didn't feel able to give to him. This is NOT the original schylling Playing Penguin Race. I have reported to Amazon. BUYERS BEWARE!
on 29 April 2015
very poor quality I would not advise anyone to buy this product, the quality is very poor and the one for my son stopped working after 10 mins as the mechanism inside was not connected correctly most likely during the manufacturing process. The seller was very good and re-funded the money for the toy so 5 stars for the seller but -5 stars for the product (even though I can't choose that)
on 24 November 2014
This is not what I ordered. It is a cheap Chinese version which doesn't even look like the picture. Its going back.
on 22 June 2015
please buy this if you ould like a huge headache from the worlds most annoying repetitive loudest music in the world. Thank god some of the parts snapped off and the little penguins arms snapped off and it quickly took a trip to the bin man. good ridence
on 5 June 2015
This is listed as a Schylling Penguin Race but that is not what I received. Instead, I received a poor quality imitation which differs in design from the one pictured. The sign at the top reads 'JOLLY PENGUIN frisk paradise' (which is pretty inappropriate considering this is a child's toy) Flags and design are different and quality is pretty cheap all round. Sure, it works and is fun but don't feel that negates the problems with this listing.

What do customers buy after viewing this item?

Best Selling