Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 November 2014
excellent version of this classical music classic
on 22 February 2011
I purchased this only for symphony No. 5 and was not disappointed, it is wonderful. Symphony No. 3 is on the same level, both are very well known but even my husband, who can't listen to classical for too long was singing it's praises. I'm sure the rest of the album will be great.
on 15 March 2013
I have wanted to listen to all of Beethoven's Symphonies and now I have the complete set. It is good to hear my favourites and to find some more "regulars" to listen to - especially when driving. Quality of the recordings is very good, too.
on 4 March 2013
First of all the sound - this is somewhere between the big lush Karajan/Berlin and and the acerbic period performances. It is captured beautifully but it does all sound rather staged to my ears.

However that is not it's biggest failing. Where is the interpretation in terms of emotion, meaning, nuance? What we have instead is big swings of dynamics creating at times melodrama but robbing the music of tension and feeling.

I think it would be very sad if this were someone's only exposure to these great works when so many more enlightening recordings exist. For example Furtwanger's 9th (on EMI) and 3rd (Music & Arts) are in a different league, as are Kleiber's 5th and 7th and Bohm's 6th.

If anything Haitink is best with the more Haydn-esque 1st and 2nd where he does less harm. The 8th does not suffer too badly either. Here the simple treatment does less to rob the music of gravitas. But this is hardly a reason to buy this boxed set.

I give it 2 stars for sound quality (which is exemplary). Pity about the conducting.
on 17 July 2015
great qaulity sound
on 28 March 2013
Top class collection of the 9 symphonies, the SACD sund il fantastic
and also the packaging in nice for the price.
on 23 August 2014
Sound quality not as good as expected
on 5 April 2011
Bought this as my 7 year old daughter heard Beethoven's 9th and wanted to hear it again.My collection of Beethoven was pretty limited so I decided to buy all 9 symphonies and the reviews of this one sounded good. I love these recordings, my daughter loves them too so we are all happy! Very nicely packaged, good price and some very interesting and informative sleeve notes.
on 5 March 2013
The whole of Beethoven's Symphonies in one go;
and a modern recording how can you go wrong?
Much better solution than converting all my old records.
on 17 January 2015