• Hush

Customer reviews

Hush
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 December 2014
As always, the quality of Pauline's pristine vocals fired by an Irish heart and an excellent professional knowledge of traditional Irish ballads, shines brightly on this album. Lovely!
on 11 January 2016
My wife loved this.
on 16 December 2009
Having seen Pauline Scanlon on Irish TV (although I live in London - the magic of cable TV) singing as part of the duo Lumiere I was blown away by her beautiful voice and sensitive interpretation of music - along with an obvious devotion to great melodies and meaningful lyrics. I immediately visited her Myspace and subsequently ordered this album, along with her earlier album Red Colour Sun and her recent release as Lumiere. So far Hush is my favourite, it's a wonderful collection of songs (including one of my favourite all time songs, Demon Lover, although Scanlon's is the only interpretation I've ever thought came close to capturing the essence of that particular song) and not only is her voice a delight to listen to, being both delicate and substantial, but her co-musicians put on a wonderful aural display of many instruments that altogether create a really intense and wonderful soundscape. In my opinion Scanlon deserves to be far better known than she is, and I far prefer her voice and choice of songs to some other more well known folk/celtic singers. However, if you know of Scanlon at all and already know what a great set of pipes she has, then I would recommend this album above her others, although all are good. It combines Irish folk with a very pleasing American country sound in many songs, touching at times on a folksy-bluesy element that really works because it is understated. Although as the back of the CD says it was proudced by Compass Records in Nashville, perhaps that's not surprising! She sings with real feeling and understanding of the music and its history, and really has the art of the storyteller in her delivery. A really great album in my opinion.