Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

1,029
Size: Medium|Change

on 7 February 2011
My dog is a staffy. She is not the prettiest or most intelligent dog in the world, but she has huge jaw muscles. She has nine brain cells; two control wagging and the other seven are dedicated to chewing. She *loves* the Kong; it's her constant companion. She can destroy a tennis ball in minutes, and no other dog toy has lasted more than a day unscathed, but the Kong has lasted six months.
22 comments| 230 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Kong has been around for a long time, but over the years they have been re-invented and improved. The Extreme Kong is a lot tougher than the others which is what hard jawed dogs need.

When chosing a Kong always get a bigger size than you think your dog needs. I purchased this one for my older rescue Mongrel (Alsatian x Greyhound x Staffie). She has a big mouth but is not an aggressive chewer and I mainly purchased it as another activity toy for feeding, to slow up her eating!

To use for this purpose (on any size Kong) put something slightly soft and sticky in first (soft cheese / peanut butter etc) then push in some food (I use Iams) then some more soft food and so on, layering it and pushing hard down so it is really compacted. You could even put the stuffed Kong into the freezer for a while to make it harder to get the food out.

Use in this way acts as a boredom buster, something to use their brains to get out the treats and as a way of slowing down eating.

The Kong can be used as a pacifier for a dog that likes to chew. However, nothing is indestructable and must be supervised. Again, always get a size bigger than you think your dog needs, especially for Staffie Types/Bull Breeds/other strong jawed dogs.

The Kong is also a bouncy toy. Because of it's unique shape, when it is bounced hard down to the ground it will shoot off in different directions, thus your dog has to use it's brain and stay alert ot it will miss getting the Kong. I would say that unless you have a large garden, care is needed when using it outside in an enclosed space, or you may well be spending a lot of time disturbing your neighbours to get the Kong back! It is great fun for your dog though and is a variation on the normal ball
on 12 June 2013
I had to look long and hard for a Kong as I had read too many reviews where peoples' dogs had destroyed their Kong rather quickly and when I buy something, I expect it to last forever.

My determined chewer 9 month Border Collie pup has destroyed most of his toys and cost us quite some pennies, so I didn't want a five minute wonder.

I was ecstatic it lasted more than a day, and now a couple months down the line, it's perfectly in one piece and no signs of teeth marks.. I would ego so far as to say it's one of his favourite toys (it's a toss up between this and the Kong squeaking Tennis ball which again is a miracle it hasn't burst but I have to control this toy as its useful to distract him on walks etc when seeing other dogs etc).

I cram the Kong with pate, peanut butter, cooked chicken etc which will entertain him for at least an hour or sometimes give it him empty which he loves playing with as it has plenty of bounce.

Rightly so, it's not as big as it sounds being called a Large, but I think it's the perfect size - no jaws have got stuck in this house and nor does it look possible as some others have complained about.

It also smells very strong of rubber, so when I hide it, my dog can sniff it out quickly.

I cannot recommend this toy enough. 5/5!
on 12 September 2013
This buy has probably been the best toy we have ever bought our baby staff - he is almost two now and this kong is the only toy that is still in one piece - highly recommend!!!
on 8 September 2013
I have two Jack Russells. Both love toys. Jack loves to play fetch and gently mouth his toys. Bobby just loves to chew and destroy.
It's difficult to find toys for both dogs that Bobby won't spoil. But, here we have one. A Bobby proof toy that is fun to throw and fetch and good to chew - without destroying it.

When this toy arrived, I thought I'd bought the wrong size. It looked a lot smaller than I had imagined it would be. However, it turned out to be an ideal size for both my dogs.

I bought the black and the red version of this toy. Both are Bobby proof.

I also find the dogs enjoy it if I push a denta stick down the wider hole in the toy. It's the only way Jack will chew a denta stick. Before I bought this toy, he just used to dance around the denta stick until Bobby stole it off him.

So, a winner all round. A good chew and clean teeth. I would recommend.
on 4 March 2010
My dog chews all it's toys but this one has it beat. She cannot chew through it but loves to play for ages
on 3 January 2015
I purchased this Kong as a Christmas present for my small lab who has only just turned one years old. Within two minutes of her playing with it a huge chunk was removed from the top. This is the second black so called "extreme dog chew toy" that she has gone through. This toy is suitable for either dogs with no teeth or ones who want to stare at it from afar.
review image
on 10 January 2013
We've been through so many dog toys and playthings with our wonderful Border Collie as he simply gnaws things to pieces during play - but the Kong Extreme has proven to be a match for him. It's almost as if he knows now that he can't chew through it so doesn't try, instead using it as the fun, entertaining and rewarding toy its intended to be.

The shape of the Kong is perfect for the dog to nose it around the floor and follow its irregular movement and bounces. As you already know it's designed with a hollow core to stuff with treats, and the task of removing the contents provides a nice little job for the dog to do. Fellow Border Collie owners (or should that be `ownees'?) will be familiar with the need to regularly come up with new things to put the dogs active mind to work, and I can confidently say the Kong Extreme is a great way to do this. It's pretty amusing to see the various methods the dog comes up with to dislodge the treats, and good to know that he's enjoying the `hunt' and that the toy isn't about to be torn into pieces for a change!

Recommended.
on 18 January 2008
I bought this for my chocolate lab who is 9 months old and chewed everything in the house!! I had to buy him a cage to be in while I was out the house and bought 3 of these which I fill with peanut butter mince or left overs and pop them in the freezer. He loves them to bits and still has not managed to damage them in any way in the last 4 months that he has had them!! Kongs are great to keep thier minds stimulated and stops him chewing anything else. Another great thing is you can fill them with anything (just make sure you dont over feed your dog!) so saves loads of money not having to buy the special dog treat spray for these! I would say every dog should have one of these and your dog will love you for it!!
on 22 January 2016
Having researched these for our newly acquired Husky, this was the one we needed for its strength and chewability! It was a little smaller than expected but actually is a very good size, and very strong. Our husky has this filled may be 2/3 times a week and it lasts him a long time - good mental stimulation - which is what we were after. Currently there are no teeth marks or any damage to the kong which I am very surprised about - it was definitely worth the money and our husky loves it. I would definitely buy another and recommend to others.