Customer reviews

on 28 January 2007
I have previously owned 2 Minolta SLRs (a 9000 and a 9xi). I have had the Sony alpha 2 days. 539 pictures later I am very impressed. My 2 xi lenses and my Minolta xi flash work perfectly. The Alpha produces the best flash results I have ever managed. I could not fault my 9000(which was stolen) and so far the Alpha is as good.
on 20 March 2010
When I finally changed over from my old 35mm film camera (Olympus OM2) I tried all the usual suspects Nikon, Canon, Olympus, and a few others but they were too big too heavy or the controls were just not where my fingers were...!!! Most surprising to me was I did not like the DSLR alternatives from Olympus as I was a big fan of my OM2.
Then I was reluctantly talked into trying a Sony Alpha A100 .... well I had to eat my words - as soon as I picked it up it "felt right" then I tried the controls and was pleased with them also. The pictures I'm producing are possibly better now than my OM2. Now after almost two years I'd say my next DSLR wold also be an Alpha.
on 25 July 2007
A lovely camera. I have been using SLR cameras for 10 years, this is my 1st DSLR and I love it.

Some people seem to have problems with noise levels in high ISO images, but with a bit of practice this can be largely avoided. How often do you shoot at ISO 800 anyway? ;)

Edit: Review for body only. I do not have this lens to review.
on 28 June 2013
The A100 is an excellent first camera, its a great camera for learning and beginners.This camera gives excellent results
and the only issue I have found is ISO is only usable upto 800 unless you require grain in your photos. This camera is quite large which I find better having large hands and you feel like you are carrying a solid built camera.This camera is quite old now so it doesn't have many of the features of a modern camera such as live view but if you can with out that it still makes for an excellent DSLR.
on 29 March 2010
My first SLR, in an attempt to start up a new hobby(!)

It feels really solid and positive to handle

Takes some stunning photos on auto, and I've been gradually teasing out the more advanced features. A GREAT first SLR! LOVE IT! Thoroughly recommend!

Especially as I got mine... second hand... with 18-70 lense kit... for £180!!!!!!!!!

I've never found one that cheap fore or since! HeeHee!!
on 6 November 2009
This is a great camera if you previously owned a Minolta standard SLR, all my old lenses fit saving me a whole heap of money buying new ones, lots of modes and extra bits to play with, the sunset feature works a treat (adds colour to that sunset or sunrise picture). Typical Sony high quality, a camera that can be used not only for snaps but also for those arty coursework shots.
Used this camera without problem for 6 months - excellent, apart from:
1. Noise of shutter - can be a pain for candid and wildlife photography, as if you dont get the first shot right, you are unlikely to get a second chance if your subject hears the shutter click.
2. Cleaning - oh that constant cleaning.....used in a dusty environment, with a lot of lens changes, ingress is terrible, and one particular hair took weeks to get rid of.....long exposure, lens off and lots of blow eventually shifted it.
3. Kit lenses - certainly not the best.......but livable with.
4. Flash fitting, and lens connection - limits your options too much, but situation is improving as time goes by. Anyone with old minolta lenses will love the fact they can use them on this.

Now, what do I like.........Battery life, ease of use, built in anti-shake in body rather than in lens, initial price, but to be honest, wait for the next generation from Sony - at Aug 2007, its not far away.
on 17 January 2013
This camera is excellent and after having researched choices I am delighted to start my DSLR with this product very easy to use and is giving excellent pictures.
on 12 May 2014
Bit late in posting feedback but oh my god I am definitely pleased with this camera. Arrived quickly (especially as I bought it not long before Christmas). Was even better than described (the camera and components were in pristine condition!) and my boyfriend (whom the gift was for) is so incredibly happy with it. Thankyou very much.
on 15 February 2009
I bought this camera when it first came out and its given perfect results every time and has been totally reliable, Although now superceeded by further developments its a great buy for the non professional, highly recommended