on 5 January 2007
Good quality full screen presentation and it's well SUBTITLED (a fact not listed anywhere much!)

First five episodes in this set - with two more parts to be released in February & March
on 5 July 2007
This also is not a review but a thank you to the previous reviewer. I have been looking for the full series assuming there would be one! Perhaps the powers that be will take a second hint!
5 people found this helpful
on 19 November 2006
This series is fantastic wat are people complaining about?? I love John Barrowman and hes fantastic in this, i think the fairies one is going to be contuined and ive told my family that i want this series for xmas cant wait, it brilliant, the dvd will be fantastic as well.
7 people found this helpful
on 19 December 2007
OK, so I know as a Torchwood fan how mixed the reviews are, but in light of it's iminent return I thought I'd add my opinions.

Torchwood was meant to be the more adult version of Doctor Who. It has achieved this, in Sci-Fi terms at least. There's sex, guns and violence. There's homosexuality, there's adultery, there's plenty of snogging, basically. Torchwood employee's seem to be obligated to snog their boss/colleauges a lot.

But once you get past a few dodgy episodes (Sex gas, anyone?) Torchwood comes into it's own. The first DVD, this one, is a good introduction, but I would urge anyone who watches it not to judge it just on what you see here. As the series goes on, the episodes get steadily better.

The first series of Torchwood was entertaining, but also a learning experience for the writers and producers. We've learnt things such as we now realise Chris Chibnall should never be allowed to write episodes.

I'd reccomend Torchwood less to hardcore Sci-Fi fans, who will probably be very dissapointed, but more to people who are fans of Doctor Who, but would like to experience something less aimed at children.

I can only see Torchwood improving in it's second series, and as long as Chris Chibnall is allowed as little control as possible, it should be great!
2 people found this helpful
on 25 October 2006
I have just watched the first two episodes of Torchwood on Sky and I am extremely impressed whth this offering. The plot-lines are well crafted, the acting is above average and the science of the Sci-Fi is convincing; I have every intention of buying this on DVD when it comes out.
12 people found this helpful
on 8 December 2006
This is not just the best sci-fi on tv, its the best program on TV - period. I like the new Dr Who but this is in a different league. Its gritty, dark and mature but very funny in parts. John Barrowman and Eve Miles give terrific performances. If you like good drama and have an imagination, buy this - you won't be disappointed.
27 people found this helpful
on 2 January 2007
I must admit as soon as I heard "they" were giving Captain Jack his own show I knew I'd be a fan and watch every episode and I have. However I admit I was a little disappointed with some episodes, Captain Jack has hardly any screen time or character development, Ianto and Tosh are in the same boat. Most early episodes are predominantly about Gwen andd Owen but I beg you STICK WITH IT. There are gems of episodes in amongst some which maybe are a little far-fetched even for a sci-fi show. Trust me, the show is gold especially the last 2 episodes. This show does get better, roll on series 2!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 April 2007
I have viewed this series as an independent entity rather than "from the makers of Doctor Who". After all, this has a different target audience and is on a good few hours later on in the day that Doctor Who.

Bearing that in mind, this was an enjoyable Sci-Fi series, and being a Doctor Who fan - the links between the series added to the enjoyment.

Yes, there is sex and bad language (and sometimes it does feel as though it has been included just for the sake of it) but this doesn't take away from the series. This is a gritty and dark Sci-Fi series which doesn't always have a happy ending. It'll be interesting to see how this will do in the US if it gets aired there. I expect they'll cut out a lot of sex and tone down the old 'Anglo-Saxon', but it seems such an integral part of the series that it would ruin it to do so.

The characters take a while to develop, with the exception of Gwen and Captain Jack. Jack (played by the fantastic John Barrowman) is a deeply mysterious character who cannot die. The more we find out about him, the less we seem to know! In the first few episodes he seems a bit of an enigma.

Gwen is a great character and well acted. She adds the 'reality' element to the first few episodes as we see how her new job affects her home life. In the first few episodes her partner seems very supportive and encouraging. This does change later on in the series though!

The other character are slow burners, they are in the background and start to become better used as the series progresses. Ianto Jones gets his episode in episode 4 where we see the biggest link to Doctor Who since 'the hand' earlier on.

Overall I liked this series. It isn't one I can watch over and over again, but it is one I can enjoy from time to time. Some of the concepts are very interesting. It does have some flaws though. The "secret" Torchwood organisation doesn't seem that secret, as a quick flash of Torchwood ID badge and everyone understands who they are!

The series looks good, with the Torchwood hub looking as dark as you expect it to be. The music to the series accompanies the visuals well, and you don't watch it with one eye on the clock (unless you've got your soufflés in the oven, you wouldn't want to burn a soufflé)

I've given this 4 stars, with a bit more character development and more story arcs spanning episodes - this could be a corker of a series!
8 people found this helpful
on 3 January 2007
It could have been BRILLIANT. It could have had the spice and fervour of Farscape, with the realism and grit of the new Battlestar Galactica, and the themes explored by, say, Alistair Reynolds. Y'know, science fiction for ADULTS.

But what we ended up with was Doctor Who with sex references. Even WITH the sexual innuendo, the strong language and the occasional, but not frequent enough blood and guts, the show is anorexic, only remarkable because of its connection to a far better ratings winner on a different channel. Torchwood relies too much on the gimmick that it's an adult Doctor Who spin-off rather than the material held therein, which is flimsy to say the least.

Some of us don't see the words "adult entertainment" and immedetiately think of expletives and breasts. Don't get me wrong, they're obviously welcome elements, but without any actual maturity behind them, the whole package just comes off as all talk and no trousers. Those of us satisfied with Doctor Who's clunky but inspired, character-filled story telling wanted more MEAT to go with it, but we got "Meh" instead.
on 3 January 2007
But sadly not enough serious content to live up to the promise of the opening credits. I have to agree with Kevin O'Riordan - my exact comments were "Something like Dr. Who written by sex obsessed 5th form boys". The potential is there - so much potential is there - but it is so unrealised! Instead we are treated to so much in-fighting, swearing and gratuitous sex scenes, that we soon get fed up waiting for the story to evolve. The characters, with the exception of Captain Jack and Ianto, are all such screaming selfish wimps - for such a tough frontline covert organisation - it's a wonder they survive. Oh, and yes, we know John Barrowman is gay, but we don't need it thrown at us in spades every single episode.

There have been moments, but sadly the most fitting word I can find to describe Torchwood is 'superficial'. I trust it will improve dramatically (in all senses of the word) in the next series.
7 people found this helpful