Colour: Black|Change

on 13 January 2012
I was looking for a good, solid fountain pen that wrote well and that I could use for sketching. I found this Lamy pen and thought it looked like it would do that. I am very pleased with it. I had never heard of Lamy pens before but this is a sturdy well built pen with a wonderfully secure clip. The ink flows smoothly and controllably. I am just pleased through and through. :)
on 25 July 2009
a lovely light and well balanced pen, very smooth and good value for money. Works very well with the ink cartridge converter. Does not leak.
on 5 October 2016
Having owned a Lamy Safari pen before, I'm going to have to say, this did not meet my expectations. My first Lamy Safari was the first fountain pen I bought of the price range, and I was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was to hold and write with in comparison to the inexpensive, low quality pens that many stores in the UK hold, such as the £2 / £3 fountain pen I purchased from Tesco a few years ago. Unfortunately, the nib of my other Lamy broke, and before I purchased a new one, I decided to buy a second safari - it''s a pain having to take it in and out of my school blazer when I have to complete an essay or worksheet for homework and it would be easier to have a pen for home and a pen for school. I will be ordering a few replacement nibs in the near future, though for now having a single safari is satisfactory.

The difference between the two pens isn't drastic. When I ordered this, I expected something slightly different to arrive in the mail, both fitting under the listed qualities. Although I have become accustomed to writing with my non-matte Lamy, I was pretty sure that I would feel comfortable with this, expecting a pen that has a somewhat more expensive feel to it. Unlike the matte I was hoping for - a smooth, almost chalky feeling exterior (some of you may understand this chalky feeling better if I say the exterior of a dove / lynx can of deodorant) with a charcoal black colour - this pen feels cheap. It shares the same sort of rough, toothed feeling as the paper I choose to draw on in my spare time. Another thing to mention that both myself and my mother have commented on is that the pen doesn't look completely black. It appears a very dark brown, or black with brown undertones, which is a completely different colour to both the nib and clip.

Despite all this, I'll end on a positive note, that being it writes nicely and to the same standard as my original Lamy.
on 29 May 2012
An otherwise excellent pen, well balanced a smooth writer and sits well in my hand. I'd give it 5 if the nib was a standard medium but to me this is a thick nib. I'd suggest buying the fine nib version if you're used to say a Parker 45's medium nib.
I'd also recommend the z24 ink cartridge convertor.
on 18 June 2011
We live overseas where shops offer Parker or the expensive prestige adult brands. My kids have to use them at school for all their work (age 10 up). Their basic Parker school pens kept breaking, leaking or nib breaking. Decided to give Lamy a go based on the reviews. Absolutely fantastic. Fun colours - in the end went for deep red, navy blue and yellow. After a year of daily use still going strong. Am thinking of ordering more for presents for their friends!
on 21 September 2011
I decided I'd like to try using a fountain pen for everyday writing and some sketching, and so I've bought half a dozen different ones over the last few weeks. The Lamy Safari is by far the best of the ones I've tried. I find the texture of the pen gives a much better grip than shiney metal pens, the nib writes [and draws] extremely well and has enough flex for a left-hander like me. The cartridges hold a lot of ink - though I've refilled them with Noodlers buttetproof ink using a syringe - and the pen itself looks good. I whole-heartedly recommend this pen as an excellent writing intrument.
The only pen I've found that comes even close for my particular needs of writing and sketching as a leftie is the WHSmith soft touch cartridge pen [half price offer at £[]] but the Lamy is the best option. Definately worth a tenner, and I'll be ordering the fine nib wersion too.
on 16 July 2011
I got this pen to practice sketching and am not dissapointed. It's an excellent pen for the price.
It writes smoothly and has a solid enough construction that doesn't feel too cheap.
For me, the weight of the pen is just right - not heavy, a little light.
Would say that the extra fine nib was about a 0.4 in size.
Nib is a little on the stiff side. The only thing I would change about it would be to have a bit more line variation when you are drawing.
I will probably pick up one or two more in different sizes in the future.
on 24 November 2016
this is my third medium nib safari. ive got other, more expensive, pens but i much prefer this. i find the medium nib gives a good clean and free flowing line. the fine nib is a bit scratchier.

my third pen - because i use it most of the time - and the dogs got the first two.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 October 2010
Needed a new fountain pen, at reasonable price, that I could 'afford' to lose. From a different website, this was recommended. Have to say, it is as good as I expected - sturdy, elegant, writes well. Very happy with it!
on 25 January 2013
This was a gift but it looked really good and the child it was bought for was thrilled with it.