on 26 July 2017
I was plagued by internet dropouts and decided that, as part of what I was doing about it, I'd eliminate the mains supply as the problem. Although changing the hub did most of the curing, I had noticed occasional dips in supply that my main UPS had been triggered by. After fitting this UPS to my hub (and I used it to power my DECT phone, Hive hub, and Synology NAS box too), my internet has been 100%. Knowing that I have the phone for at least 40 minutes too in a power-cut is great. Fitting this seems to have been a very good thing to do.

It's robust and runs only slightly warm, and having 4 UPS sockets (and 4 filtered but normal mains sockets) with normal 3 pin plugs on is extremely handy. I think this UPS would be perfectly suitable for a main PC UPS (providing your computer doesn't exceed the wattage of this beasty) as it has a data connection to tell the PC when the UPS is active and the PC should shut down.

APC know their stuff and this is a good UPS.
on 11 January 2015
I hate reviews that are like "5*s, it is what it says it is", there's a joke about this, a Tornado warning app has loads of 5* reviews saying "The interface is great, this is a great app" and one guy puts 1 star "It didn't warn me about the tornado". It skews the rating.

So I write this hoping to give a useful review.

There's a standard protocol for UPSs that should make them plug-and-play, this device is MOSTLY compliant. It will tell you time to empty (and this changes even when powered, so you can see how long you would have if there was a power cut) but although it can report watts being used and all kinds of other things it does not over the standard protocol which does support it. You have to use their proprietary software.

To plug it into a computer to get this information you simply need to connect the packed cable that is USB on one end and what looks like a DLS modem connector on the other into the UPS, and you get the above functionality. Your computer will be able to see a UPS and query time to empty, as I mentioned the other statistics (such as load, capacity, battery health) are not supported by this device over the standard protocol, which is disappointing. It gives you time-till-empty though so it's okay.

I got this to stop audio pops every time my fridge turns on, it has helped (surge protectors did not) but there are still (much smaller) pops. Screens sometimes flicker ever so slightly when the device switches over but importantly computers do not.

UPSs are not designed to give long-lasting power, even under small load this is because they usually (unless you have a massive one the size of a room, that has a massive flywheel then) have 12v batteries inside them. This means to draw even 1 amp (at UK 220) means drawing 20 amps from the battery, which is a large load!

It'll power a charging laptop for 15-20 minutes, not the claimed unit measured in hours, it'll power the much larger load of 2 big screens, and a computer + a lamp and some external drives for 9-12 minutes depending on what I'm doing. So you see what I mean by "In theory, 2 hours, but in practice not" bit.

I have not used any of the other features of this device, it works, it is a good UPS for what it is.

I forget the name of the type but this DOES NOT use the input to charge the battery and draw from the battery (2 stage UPS?) it is the cheaper "when the power goes off it kicks in" which is why you get the audio pop, or screen flicker when it switches. This is certainly good enough for most things.

To test if it fits your needs simply flick the plug socket off while it is in use if everything carries on working then it's suitable for your needs.
on 24 June 2017
This little unit was bought at the right time as we had a few power shortages after we had bought it.

I had configured it on Linux following the instructions provided by another review here and it works perfectly. It also sends me an email to root if there are any fluctuations or outages.

It can power my Linux server for about 18 minutes at full capacity (230watts). However I have it configured to power down after 600 seconds if power has not been restored.

I will be buying more of these, one for a windows desktop and another for keeping the routers and wireless phones online. A must have purchase for any technology lover and to keep systems up and safely shut them down if the power is out for an experienced extended period.

Had 4 surge only sockets and 4 battery backed sockets. We keep the printers and monitors in the surge only sockets and the computer and removable hard drives in the battery backup sockets.

Would definitely recommend
on 11 December 2015
Before buying this we had an unexpected power cut, and though we didn't suffer any computer damage I realised how serious it could have been, so this was my chosen solution. It arrived quickly, was well packed, and the battery was in situ but safely disconnected for transit. It was easy to re-connect the battery for first time use. The unit is larger and heavier than expected, but there were no problems locating it under the desk and wall mounting it, although I would have perhaps liked to see stronger hanging points. It's quiet, I can feel a very faint 50 Hz hum if I touch the case, but can't hear anything as there is apparently no need for a fan. It runs nice and cool, and the shape lends itself to fitting in a corner location. Of the eight sockets, four are UPS sockets, I've tested them a couple of times, and everything works just as it should. I don't need the USB link (included in the box), but a quick check confirmed that it worked ok with the iMac. I can't comment on the power saver function available on the non-UPS sockets as I can't actually use it because the non-critical equipment has to be powered down properly rather than just having the mains cut off. So that function is not enabled. The unit uses a series of beeps to notify the user of its status. The beeps are loud enough to hear but they are not intrusive. Note that how long the UPS keeps going in a power cut depends on what is plugged in and what current is being drawn. Overall I'm very satisfied and planning to buy a second unit for use in another part of the house.
review image
on 21 March 2017
I bought this to replace my old APC UPS that unfortunately died after 10 years service. I went for the 700 VA version as I prefer having the extra power rating.
The main difference is that this new UPS has 8 electric sockets as opposed to the 4 IEC connectors on my old one. This item is very heavy but beautifully built ( as were all my APC products), solid, and the plugs fit into the sockets with a reassuring feel. There is no low quality feel to this, and I recommend it without reservation.
on 21 October 2016
I bought this to provide backup mains power and mains filtering for a home server running 24/7 providing both NAS and Cloud services. As a bonus, the UPS also has a pair of RJ45 sockets on its side so that you can interpose it on an Ethernet connection to filter electrical spikes on e.g. an Ethernet cable to a server, desktop or router. There is also a socket on the side of the UPS in order to connect it (if you want) to a server or desktop so that software on the computer can monitor the state of the UPS and take appropriate action. The cable for that is provided. I downloaded and installed the Linux APC UPS daemon (apcupsd) in Ubuntu Linux on my server, and it works perfectly. I configured apcupsd to e-mail me and shut down the server properly when there are only a few minutes of power remaining from the battery in the UPS. The UPS provides about 20 minutes of mains backup for my home server, which is more than enough for my needs, as blackouts where I live are few and far between, and tend to only last seconds or a few minutes.

I liked the UPS enough to recommend it to someone, who then also bought one.

My only small gripe would be the instruction sheet dated May 2009 that came with the UPS (manufactured a few months before I placed my order), which had labelled the side ports wrongly (an obvious mistake, as two of the three ports are RJ45 and the other isn't), and is not particularly clear in a couple of places. However, I downloaded the latest version of the instruction sheet from the APC Web site, which has the correct labelling of the side ports.
on 5 October 2017
I have bought a few APC UPS devices over the years and they just work. I use this particular one to connect to my PC, monitor, router, various external hard disks and other devices. Apart from the surge protection which gives peace of mind anyway, the protection it affords during a power cut is well worth the money. My main concern has been to avoid sudden loss of power on my motherboard and hard disks and using Powerchute software with this UPS, my PC hibernates gracefully after a few minutes. Of course, actions in the event of an outage are very configurable.
In addition, I have configured mine to power certain devices down when my PC is powered off using the Controlled Outlets function. I find this useful not from a power-saving point of view, which is its main purpose, but to switch off those peripherals that shine excessive light or make a hum such as speakers!
This UPS is robust and simply does its job. Having used APC equipment both professionally and personally for many years, I highly recommend it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 September 2015
I was sat here one night, minding my own business. Click Click! The lights went out and back on in a second. And my lap top died!

I soon learned that this sort of thing Can kill a computer. Sod That! I live in remote and rural Eire. Power cuts and general nonsense with the electricity supply is part of life, out here. I didn't want paying several hundred quid on a fresh computer to become part of my life! I began to live in fear :o

I went to a forum and asked the geeks. They said I should get a ..... what ever they called it. But, this is one of them. I researched and decided this was the one for me.

It's beautiful. " Click Click! " Some remote part of my brain registers that the lights just flickered off and on. But, no way does it distract me from what I'm reading on the screen. The screen that never blinks. The computer never even knows the power had just cut completely.

This bad boy takes care of all that. I don't need to worry. And, it's paid for itself more times than I care to count now.

I'm through playing Russian Roulette with the electricity supply.
on 2 December 2016
This has now been well tested due to a number of power issues in our office, so glad I bought it.

It kept our server, router, network switch, pbx (raspberry pi), a PC, two monitors and a PoE network switch powering 1 VoIP phone up for around 20-30 minutes. It shutdown the server before it lost power entirely. It's also meant that when we've had a quick blip in power, we've not lost our server or internet connection, even if the other PCs in the office need booting back up again.

Installing the software on Ubuntu 16.04 and getting it configured literally took a few minutes:

sudo apt install apcupsd
sudo cp /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd_ORIG.conf
sudo nano /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf
[MAKE MODS MENTIONED HERE: help.ubuntu.com/community/apcupsd]
sudo cp /etc/default/apcupsd /etc/default/apcupsd_ORIG
sudo nano /etc/default/apcupsd
[MAKE MODS MENTIONED HERE: help.ubuntu.com/community/apcupsd]
sudo shutdown -r now

Remember the restart at the end, I found it wasn't working till I did this.

I've now bought two more to protect the rest of our small office.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 June 2015
I bought this last week after a serious system crash after a 1sec/2sec power failure. Slightly tough to connect up the battery, but it was fine in the end.
After charging for a few hours I connected everything up (the network connector on the USB lead seemed a bit bizarre to me) and fired up the software - I have my router, PC and monitor connected to the battery section.

The software said I had 43 minutes of run time on the battery.

I cut the power at the wall next day, and there was not a twitch from the PC - a window on the screen said that power was off, and I had 18 minutes of run time. I connected the power again - once more, not a twitch from the PC. I checked the software today and it says I have 24 minutes of run time, but I reckon that is still a bit optimistic.

All in all, I am very pleased with the unit